Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odd hard drive behaviour

• 24-02-2004 3:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭

I've got three hard drives in my system at the moment.
    On the primary IDE channel is a 120GB western digital 8MB/7200RPM (ATA100) and a 120GB maxtor 5400RPM drive (with a supposed max speed of ATA133, heh). The other IDE channel has an old 40GB/7200 RPM IBM drive and a pioneer 106 DVD burner. The devices on the primary channel will only run at ATA33 speeds, even though both support at least ATA100. If I change settings in Windows 2000 to make them use higher speeds, the system will not boot (blue screen with inaccessible boot device message). I have to press F8 during startup and select last known good configuration to get back into Windows.

Anyone know what's the story with this?
    Specs as follows:

Abit NF7-S 2.0
    onboard sound and ethernet
    2x PC3200 256MB twinmos CL2.5 (dual ddr)
    AMD athlon xp 2800+ (333)
    geforce 4 Ti4200 64mb
    the aforementioned hard drives and dvd burner
    asus crw 4012A cd burner on S-ATA controller
    400W antec PSU

Cheers.

Edit: Also have nforce chipset and graphics drivers from around December 2003 installed

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

look at the IDE cable and count the number of wires on it. If it has about 40 wires, then its an old sh*te cable, and can only take 33 speeds. If it has about 80 wires, then its a new cool wire, and can ake up to 133 speeds.
    You may be able to switch the IDE cables around inside your computer, if you have an 80-wire on the 40gb drive. Otherwise, you'll have to buy one. I don;t think they;re that expensive.

i had this exact problem, and i had a good cable on my cd-rom drives, so i switched it with the old 40wire cable that was connectinog my hd's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

shíte, that's probably it, never thought of that.
    Fortunately i have a big drawer full of IDE cables to root through, I'm sure there's a few decent ones in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

let me know how you get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Señor Juárez

also, try only connecting a single drive to the controller, and see if the drive will run at higher speeds.

Advertisement