Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Screeching!!

Options
  • 24-02-2004 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭

I drive a 1999 Mitsubishi Colt and last Friday while driving home I started to hear screeching coming from the engine or wheels while I was turning corners, hitting the brake and while slowing down. It went on for about an hour or so.

I havent a clue about cars so does anyone have any idea what could be causing it? Should I bring it to the garage?

Its only happened once since then. But sometimes when I turn on the car in the morning I hear a different noise that I think is coming from one of the belts but that usually goes away after a while.

Any help apreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sounds like a bad brake pad, it may be loose and you're getting some metal-on-metal action. The other sound is the drivebelt, it proberly needs tightening.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

It happens even when Im not touching the brake though!

Should I just get a mechanic to look at it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yep! Any so8nd you cant quickly diagnose should be looked at.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Sounds like a bad CV joint to me.
    Or maybe a loose caliper.
    Definately have it looked at. You don't want those bits popping off at 70mph.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

It may be the fan belt. It used to happen to my Fathers Van a lot, whenever the fan belat fot worn dowen it would start screeching. Check it out ASAP.

• Advertisement
Advertisement