Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to automate hotfix and patch applications across a network?

Options
  • 24-02-2004 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I've been looking at a few of the projects on sourceforge for deploying and detecting hotfix levels and patches across a windows network (domain). However, none really seem to be exactly what I want.

What I would like is a tool like Remote system Information

http://www.digitallabs.net/

that, not only detects hotfixes (RSI will do it if you input the hotfix ID manually) but will also allow you to puch the missing hotfixes out across the network - doesnt matter if the client has a choice about when to reboot really :) .

anyone know of a product, commercial or otherwise that can do this?
    I have looked at LANguard but , while it identifies switches etc (which is nice) it is pretty much a fancier version of RSI (and a load more expensive too!).

anyone got any suggestions? (and yes, I have googled this one already but not a huge amount turned up that wasnt identical to what I have already).

ps. using adsl, autoupdate works ok, but I would prefer to be able to force an update rather than give the end user the option of "install now or later" when a critical update is released... which seems to be about every 2 days....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

maybe this
    Irish company run by a chap called Jason Keogh.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Alanm

I have been looking at SMS (system managment server - http://www.microsoft.com/smserver/default.asp) and the new SUS (Software update services - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/sus/default.mspx ) both from MS to do this.

I think these only work on Win2k and up (not on the older clients), although with SMS you can script the installation of patches and force them out to clients.

I think I'll be going with SUS soon!

hth,

Alan.

I'll betcha Iquate does exactly the same job at a fraction of the MS price ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Alanm

Microsofts SUS is free ;)

ummmmm yes. errrr exactly.
    And a fraction of zero is zero.
    So there.

<hides under desk>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

I would definatly go with a SUS and GFIlanguard compo

Espically if your a full Windows domain. SUS is great Easy to set up, easy to use
    and requires zero maintenance more or less

GFi also doubles as a network scanner
    GFI LANguard N.S.S. scans your entire network, IP by IP, and provides information such as service pack level of the machine, missing security patches, open shares, open ports, services/applications active on the computer
    blah blah

Their is a lot of support out their for SUS aswell because its a free tool, you can get mods to show reports and automate your downloads and Auto approve your updates . Personally I think its great. with the best bit being Free, you can get your network setup and patched for a mere $800 or so and thats just for the GFI
    Most of the other patchs software such as St Bernards and such cost you a whole lot more .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

thanks for the suggestions.

In the end I have decided to go with SUS (very nice indeed and there will be a rollback feature in the next release... hmm, have I just praised a mickeysoft application?). MBAS is much nicer with the GUI by the way but not as thorough.

For network scanning Languard looks excellent (I had seen it before but never really played with it) the cost is prohibitive however, especially over a variety of networks. A cheap and cheerful option is Remote System Information which can be found

HERE

you can download a demo of v2.0 for free and licensing is per user rahter than per PC.. it's also dirt cheap. Not as powerful as Languard and a bit more configuration (custom apps and hotfix searches) but worth the effort.

IQuate have a really good range of products at the moment. Just a bit on the pricey side though. With the template release it looks like it will be the equivalent of Zen for Novell (able to push out entire installations across a network and customisable by group membership etc.). As a mid range option, and if you do a lot of network installs this is very much worth a look.

thanks again. No doubt you'll be seeing posts from me wailing and gnashing teeth over SUS... but I wont hold Alanm responsible in any way whatsoever and my demented mind will most certianly not seek revenge :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Does anyone know if there's anything similar to SUS available for linux?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭atheist

Each flavour has it's own update.

There's also http://www.ximian.com/products/redcarpet/ and similar commercial options.

Their writing about Linux software management at http://lwn.net/ - do sign up. You will find all security patches there

For sanity change to FreeBSD :cool:

Advertisement