Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New forum suggestions.

Options
  • 24-02-2004 5:46pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

In recent times it has become increasingly difficult to sort out the arguments for and against a new forum, so we're going to try out a new system to see if we can cut down on this problem.

If you wish to open discussion of a new forum, then please post a new thread with a description and title of the forum you're proposing, along with any reasons and arguments for creating this new forum.

Anybody else can post once saying "yes" or "no" or "maybe" or "yes, if" or "no, but" and give a reason or reasons if they wish.

Do not post again on the thread (this includes the thread starter) unless specifically invited to by an administrator (we're the people with 5 stars under our names). Attacking the poster of an idea rather than the merits of that idea will not be tolerated. Violating these guidelines will more than likely result in a short ban from Feedback / Suggestions.

Thanks.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yes.

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

So we're not allowed debate new forums then? So much for freedom of expression.

I think I'll have to create a few new troll accounts. You only seem to react to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

where am i?....how come i can't feel my face? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

What happened to DeVore's first rule btw? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=82722

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Originally posted by Exit
    What happened to DeVore's first rule btw? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=82722

Still in effect although I tend to be lenient with that particular one. We still need to fix the way we do things once they get moved to here though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

We often let our guidelines grow and evolve over time.

Also, its important to note that we aren't trying to restrict community feedback on the forum. In fact, we're encouraging effective feedback of everyone's opinion of the creation of the proposed forum whilst trying to improve the signal/noise ratio on these threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭TheSonOfBattles

Seems to me you will be able to argue, just only in a more admin controlled way, to stop trolling/flaming.

If when you put up your first post you make a good argue for or against the creation of the board, then you will probably be invited back by an admin to further argue the case after a while. This would theoretically promote argument and stop trolling/flaming.

Should be fun to see if it works or not though :cool:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

what happens if you have a question that requires clarification and you need to post a second time, Bannsville?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

what happens if you have a question that requires clarification and you need to post a second time, Bannsville?

I'd like to think that we'll apply a large dollop of common sense to this.

Originally posted by Beruthiel

I'd say we'll play that one by ear. The 'invited response' that I mention above should handle it effectively I hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Hmm, I'm a maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

That's ridiculous.

There is a happy medium between flame wars and this brainwave. If a discussion starts turning into a flame war, issuing warnings and bannings is more than enough to steer it back on course.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I agree with this.
    I think points should be made and then it is up to others to decide if those points are valid or not, you dont need an argument between people to decide this for yourself.

nice work;)

Flogen

Originally posted by NekkidBibleMan
    That's ridiculous.

There is a happy medium between flame wars and this brainwave. If a discussion starts turning into a flame war, issuing warnings and bannings is more than enough to steer it back on course.

Don't be silly, this plague on F/B demanded a radical solution from Captain Freedom! Defending newbies and troll accounts wherever he goes!

Personally I will be ignoring this nonsense. I look forward to my first banning.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I hate this idea, it smells like voting. I hate rules, I'm more then happy to just kick people who **** things up round here, no need for rules... they just get skirted or played up to.

I do think a number of people come off sounding like its their decision to make and giving new people the idea that they have some power they actually dont.

We need a charter and a READ ME FIRST for this forum, I dont think we need more rules and restricting it to one post per person isnt a discussion its a poll.

DeV.

Well that's a relief.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I also wish Ecksor and amp would either

1. Get a room.
    2. Work it out.
    3. Get over it.

Two of the most *something* people I've ever met.

DeV.

Originally posted by DeVore

We need a charter and a READ ME FIRST for this forum, I dont think we need more rules and restricting it to one post per person isnt a discussion its a poll.

DeV.

Why not just post a poll.

Originally posted by DeVore
    I also wish Ecksor and amp would either

1. Get a room.
    2. Work it out.
    3. Get over it.

Two of the most *something* people I've ever met.

DeV.

Can Nekidbibleman join us in this room? What about the other people who poked fun at this sticky? Will we have an orgy?

I react to ecksors bizarre announcements. I reacted to his announcement of the removal of moderators ability to see ip's. I reacted to this, the latest bizarre announcement of the removal of the debate aspect of new forum creation.

I will continue to question ecksor and any other Admins bizarre announcements including yours. I don't see this as a personal war between myself an ecksor even if you do. I appreciate the work he does for boards.ie but that doesn't mean I'm not going to question his overreactions, especially when they have far reaching negative implications.

Edit:

Here's a quasi-mathmatical summary:

ecksor bizarre announcement = amp questioning announcement + DeV telling us both to be good children and behave.

Now if we remove the left hand side of this quasi-equation then the other side of the equation ceases to exist. QED.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

forget about new forums. theres eneough already. ban castor troy or something.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I have a bit of a problem with this 'theres too many forums' malarky.... I mean, fair enough, there are ALOT of forums here, but if someone can come up with a good idea for a new one, then they shouldnt be denied just because 'theres enough forums as it is'.

and something tells me a poll would go against DeVores wishes to avoid votes... I just think from now on, once new forum threads are moderated and all flamers/trollers/pointless posters are warned and/or disciplined then things should run like hot watery gravy on a really oily surface.

Flogen

Originally posted by amp

Edit:

Here's a quasi-mathmatical summary:

ecksor bizarre announcement = amp questioning announcement + DeV telling us both to be good children and behave.

Now if we remove the left hand side of this quasi-equation then the other side of the equation ceases to exist. QED.

I was never really good at maths.:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I just feel that if this goes ahead then you would have to change the name of this forum and take out the 'feedback' part of it, it's all very well for an Admin to invite you back for a second comment on a thread, but, how is an Admin supposed to know you have a second comment????? do you guys have crystal balls!!??

No polls. No votes. No "rules". Sorry, I thought I had expressed my opinion clearly enough.

Oh and I wasnt talking about your right to question, Amp... I was referring to your propensity to "needle" ... and dont tell me you dont, I'm in no mood for games.

DeV.

Ok, disregard these as requirements or rules.

However, I'd still like people to approach these discussions a bit more sensibly. Even if a discussion might arise from your post, it would be nice if you could sum up all pros and cons in your first post as if it was your final decision on the subject. Remember, an admin (and most likely DeVore or Cloud) will be making a decision based on all of the arguments. Getting into a flame war doesn't usually help your case!

The most important thing here is: don't attack the person who suggested the forum, criticise the merits of the forum.

What ecksor said (just now :) )

I was thinking it was getting a bit hairy at times but I'm more used to letting fur fly then stepping in. Its crossing the line when you attack the poster or you start implying in your post that you have some form of decision making power... too many people gettin' all brave cos they've been round the block a few times...

We should have a Boards, The Gathering card for me and my big, Grandpa Simpson spanking paddle. Funny innit, it all comes back to the Simpsons.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Aw. I was hoping for a hugely ironic Admin flame war here. Everybody's talking sense again. :(

Hey Ecksor - I heard Amp say "I could take that n00b any day"! And DeV said he could bitchslap you both. With one arm tied behind his back. And a pair of nailscissors.

:ninja:

• Advertisement
Advertisement