Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile coverage in Asia

Options
  • 24-02-2004 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭

do any of the Irish mobile phone providers, give coverage in Asia (i.e. if one owns a Quad band phone )

?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

where are you going?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭ondafly

I'll be heading to Japan later in the year - but a new phone is on the horizon, so I was thinking I might as well try a Quad band motorola, but doubtful my 02 sim will work in Tokyo ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Japan uses a different mobile network to GSM - so unfortunately your phone won't work there.

If you really need a phone while there keep an eye out at the airport as there were places you could rent one (at Narita anyhow). Or mphone in the UK hire out compatible mobiles.

BrianG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭ondafly

ah well :) - cheers for the advice Dub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭joerules

Hey,

DoCoMo have a roaming agreement with O2. Maybe it might work the other way around (if you can somehow rent a FOMA phone). Vodafone Japan have a roaming agreement with Vodafone Ireland. Whether it works the other way around, I don't know either(it does with Vodafone UK). You can rent out Vodafone WCDMA phones at Narita and Osaka, put your SIM in and off you go. Again, this depends on whether the roaming agreements work both ways.

Joe

• Advertisement
Advertisement