Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lad's a question

• 24-02-2004 8:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭

ill be building a new pc and repairing my own pc tomorrow (if the case and my pc comes then) and i was wondering .....Will Rubber (? i think their rubber) gloves that doctor's use give any extra protection against static ?....im able to get as many of them as i want from a hospital (yes this is where your Tax money goes hehe)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Just unplug your pc from the wall and touch the chassis support metal and you will be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Yes thats all well and good m8 but i can get this stuff for free and i just want to know if it will lower the risk of something happening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

Just unplug your PC from the wall and touch the chassis support metal and you will be fine.

unplugging the PC will do nothing for you accept make you the easiest way for any charge to get to earth.

leave the PC plugged in (if the socket has a switch you can turn it off) and this will make the chassis earthed. then you can just touch the chassis to get rid of any static.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Originally posted by Venom
    Just unplug your pc from the wall and touch the chassis support metal and you will be fine.

This always puzzles me..why should unplugging your pc produce a better grounding effect than leaving it plugged in?? Surely when its plugged in the whole case is earthed?? Its against all the laws of physics.... Although admitted more in line with the laws of common sense...poking around with a screwdriver near a live psu can be interesting Although a switched plug socket in the off position should be ok.

But in answer to the original question you're better off consciously earthing yourself at regular intervals, rather than stopping all the static electricity on your body by insulating yourself from any earthing effects.

(Try all at your own risk - dont hold me responsible for any Don King effects)

[edit] damn beaten to it by Jabborwock)

If you're serious about pc building get a esd strap from maplins. Its worth it to prevent the tension you get when you pick up a €150 component..wondering if this will be the time you hear that little zap :D[/edit]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Do it in a room with a radiator. Touch the radiator before you handle each componant and leave stuff in or on its static bag.

Closing your eyes, swaying like stevie wonder and crooning "Save me jebus" while touching the radiotor is purely optional.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Owenw

and ffs don't place all your shiny new PC parts out on the carpet!
    Walking around on nylon-based carpets builds up the static charge in your body too.

and ffs don't place all your shiny new PC parts out on the carpet!

For god sake people im not a total fecking newbe

...I still havent got any real answer to my question tbh :( other than stuff i already knew :dunno:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Ronaldo7

rubber would just encourage it so thats a no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Youre best off by just getting a static strap and attaching that to a metal part of the PC ... If you are going to wear gloves wear cotton ones .... they may stop you cutting your hand open like happens to me every time i do some serious work inside me pc.. :rolleyes:

K i have a anti static wristban but it doesnt clip onto anything its just a wristband

Anyway on a second question is acetone ment to be sticky ? i used a small bit on a cutton bud plastic holder...And its a tad sticky on it ....Mind you it doesnt seem to harm cardboard :(

never used acetone in my life so not sure if thats the way it normal works......and its makeing me a tad high as well :dunno:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Wrap a bit of copper wire around the button of the wrist strap, and tie the other end to a radiator. You'll be grand then, if the contact it good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

Originally posted by Slutmonkey57b
    Do it in a room with a radiator. Touch the radiator before you handle each componant and leave stuff in or on its static bag.

Closing your eyes, swaying like stevie wonder and crooning "Save me jebus" while touching the radiotor is purely optional.
    wont to much if the radiator is painted, which most are cos otherwise you would have one ugly radiator!
    Originally posted by jabberwock
    unplugging the PC will do nothing for you accept make you the easiest way for any charge to get to earth.

leave the PC plugged in (if the socket has a switch you can turn it off) and this will make the chassis earthed. then you can just touch the chassis to get rid of any static.
    a bit of a safer way to do this (and if the socket has no switch) is to use a typical 4-way extension unit and only plug in the earth connection. turn the plug so that the live/neutral pins are pointing away from the plug. the only thing is that the live connection on the extension will have no safety cover in front of it. just make sure there are no kids with slim metal objects around!

Advertisement