Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with my forum...

Options
  • 24-02-2004 10:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I didnt know where else to go to get help quick so here I am.

Heres the story. I have a forum at TechBoards.net . I contacted this Irish magazine PCLive, and they are hopefully going to make us their kind of online resource forum. This will make the site really popular to mainly Irish users.

At the moment the site is just a forum, which does not look good at all. I was hoping maybe some web-developers here might help me create an actual website where it will show the latest tech news etc, and from there you go into the forums. It would make a great improvement to the site.

Thanks very much,
    Denis

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭buddy

1. How did you manage to get the boys at PC Live to agree to doing that?
    2. Your choice of forums will limit your options - forums such as phpBB and vBulletin allow you to use a Content Management System which allows you to manage a frontpage and other subsections allowing your members to vote on polls etc and put in newsfeeds etc.
    3. 2 registered members??

I run Alcobuds.com using phpBB forums, I didn't opt for the CMS option as the one's I was looking at were a bit too complciated so I built a similar looking site around the forums using static HTML - thats your other option but as others will point out its a bit more work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

1. How did you manage to get the boys at PC Live to agree to doing that?

Was thinking the same thing meself. If it's true, fair dues, but I wouldn't be thinking about developing a website around the forum right now, I'd start by skinning the Invision forum so it doesn't look like every other Invision forum in the known world. And I wouldn't be asking people to do it for free either. If PC Live want you to run their forums, PC Live should be throwing a few quid towards it.

2. Your choice of forums will limit your options - forums such as phpBB and vBulletin allow you to use a Content Management System which allows you to manage a frontpage and other subsections allowing your members to vote on polls etc and put in newsfeeds etc.

vBulletin 2x has no official CMS, and the unofficial ones require hacks that have to be reintegrated at every upgrade. Jelsoft has suggested that a CMS will be available for vB3, but it's taking them well over a year to get that out the door, god knows how long the CMS will take to surface.

Been a while since I went near phpBB, but I'm pretty sure that the last time I looked there was no CMS and none was planned in the next major version. Which is taking an age also...

If there are CMS's out there - decent ones, not that vbPortal chunk of crap, which isn't a CMS by any stretch of the imagination - I'd love to hear about them...

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

If PC Live want you to run their forums, PC Live should be throwing a few quid towards it.

I like your thinking :D,. however I think i'll see what happens first. They gave us the impression these were their intentions but nothing is set in stone yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭buddy

Originally posted by dahamsta
    I'd start by skinning the Invision forum so it doesn't look like every other Invision forum in the known world. And I wouldn't be asking people to do it for free either.

The skin is defintiely the first thing to do - look around - people make custom skins for a fee - usually $100 plus - talk nice and you might get a lower price - and ask them for an exclusive skin - something that matches in with PC Live would be best.
    Originally posted by dahamsta

vBulletin 2x has no official CMS, and the unofficial ones require hacks that have to be reintegrated at every upgrade. Jelsoft has suggested that a CMS will be available for vB3, but it's taking them well over a year to get that out the door, god knows how long the CMS will take to surface.
    [/B]

I looked around, dahamsta is right - they have some add-in one's but none are official. vBulletin charge for their forum software but as you can see from boards.ie a lil tweaking and you can do quite nicely by them.

Also, I'd be very weary of them hinting at money down the line - you could go to a lot of trouble for nothing.

Advertisement