Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Porto -v- Man Utd.

• 24-02-2004 11:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

What do you think of this one? TBH I would have put a bet on Porto to win if United had their full team and now United's two number 1 centre halfs are out and Porto are at 2/1 I'm definitely sticking a few quid on them. If Keane plays at centre half, the midfield will be too weak and if he plays in midfield the back four will be two weak. I can't see United getting a thing from this game.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I dunno... United traditionally play well when they are up against it, they haven't always done that this season though. I'm not going to make a prediction, i really have no idea where this one is gonna go.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Aliminator

iffy. i think Porto should get 3. but they are without Constinha, and Derlei. their two majors...
    i still think Wes Brown will be embarrassed badly and goals will flow in from porto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

John O Shea is dropped acording to the sun............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

He couldnt be, that doesnt make sense, your two top central defenders are out so then you counter that by dropping another first teamer???? No way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Its the Neville sisters;) ,Brown and fortune in defence.

Again acording to the sun

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Porto to win by the odd goal.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Score draw... Hopefully...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

United are at their best with their backs to the wall

I think you will see a very determined United tonight- a lot of the problems lately have been caused by a weakened midfield.

I expect to see a team of.

Howard
    Brown G Neville O Shea Fortune
    Ronaldo Keane P Neville Giggs
    Scholes Van Nistelrooy

Keane & Neville will play deep as a buffer in front of the back 4 and leave the other 4 & 2 full back attack. Fergie to the best of my knowledge has not mentioned Keane in defence.

A comfortable 2-0 win tonight. Scholes and Van Nistelrooy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

you cant underestimate porto at all, they are a strong outfit and will cause united problems

they will score that im almost certain off, the big question is can utd score an important away goal

ill go for a close one here but porto to come out with the win :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭James R

Henry you put too much trust in the Sun :)

Theres a totally different team in the Star for example. Its just pure speculation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Have put a few quid on porto.

Is ferguson resting Saha at the moment ?

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Doubtful... I'd say Scholes will be in midfield if Keane is playing CB and Saha will be playing up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

i think it will be 2-1 to porto.

Ill take a stab at the team as the following:

Howard
    O'Shea G. Neville Brown Fortune(would prefer p neville tho)
    Ronaldo Keane Scholes Giggs
    Saha RvN

Tho AF may go 5 accross the mid in which case drop Saha and plop in P Neville or Kleberson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

porto to win first leg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

3-1 to United. I think people will be surprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭bdiddy

i agree surprise on the cards, united to win comfortably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

I have been looking forward to this match since last night.... which isn't a good thing... whenever I look forward to a match we always lose... So i thought i'd say it to everyone so that that theory is jinxed and it won't happen! lol

It will be tough to get a decent result with our terrible form of late, but I think we can do it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

I wouldn't be surprised if United put in a great performance, with Wes Brown scoring 40 goals, Saving a penalty & getting Man of the Match tonight :D :rolleyes:

I also wouldn't rule out a 2-0 win to United either!!

Hopefully Ronnie does the business against his old team :ninja:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭bdiddy

Originally posted by LoneGunM@n
    I wouldn't be surprised if United put in a great performance, with Wes Brown scoring 40 goals, Saving a penalty & getting Man of the Match tonight :D :rolleyes:

i'd be surprised if he did the rest and didnt get the man of the match award.:eek: :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

Hopefully Ronnie does the business against his old team

I think your getting mixed up with Sporting. 2-1 to Man U. Hopefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

2-2 draw I reckon.

Tinky

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Originally posted by LoneGunM@n
    Hopefully Ronnie does the business against his old team :ninja:
    I didn't realise Sporting Lisbon are in the CL!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

United to win by the odd goal in 3 .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

G'wan Porto ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭phenom

2-1 to united.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Can the match be seen live on the net??

B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I wonder how the Sun found out the team news.

FC Porto: Vitor Baia, Paulo Ferreira, Jorge Costa, Ricardo Carvalho, Nuno Valente, Pedro Mendes, Maniche, Deco, Alenitchev, Carlos Alberto, McCarthy.
    Subs: Nuno, Pedro Emanuel, Ricardo Costa, Jankauskas, Bosingwa, Ricardo Fernandes, Bruno Moraes.

Man Utd: Howard, Phil Neville, Gary Neville, Brown, Fortune, Keane, Butt, Scholes, Saha, Giggs, van Nistelrooy.
    Subs: Carroll, Ronaldo, Bellion, Kleberson, Djemba-Djemba, Forlan, O'Shea.

1-1 at half time. Fotune and McCarthy with the goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭qwertyup

2-1 now to Porto. Benni McCarthy scores again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

was it a sendin off?

• Advertisement

keane off for stamping!

utd are utter ****E!
    should be way more to porto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Keane deserved to go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

That should never have been a red card, he couldnt really get out of the way, its not as if he stamped on him or anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭elbow316

rofl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

utd's worst performance.

judging by tonight's version they don't deserve to go into next round and looking at the premiership they don't deserve to win that either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Can't complain with that result. Too many united players didn't perform at all.
    portos goals were class , the second one in particular was unstoppable.
    Keano deserved to go IMO he could have avoided making contact with the keeper.

On the optimistic side a win at home will see us through.

• Advertisement

he ran over him like
    he should have jumped over victor bia to avoid stamping him and the ref had no choice what so ever

he will be out for the next leg too which is bad bad news for utd :)

should have been 3 or 4 to porto and utd are in with small chance with the away goal

ill say it again and ill say it now too many average players at utd
    the new players fergie brought in are not up to imo

european cup!? ha ha the fa cup is the only option united have this season

rofl
    :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

as a utd fan i have to say they played crap...

Didnt proform at all.

As for Keane he should know better... look at the reply he pushed down on the keeper..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

United were absolutely abysmal. Scholes needn't have shown up, which is extremely rare for him, Van Nistelrooy seemed to be out doing Giggs' job on the left, and Giggs himself was nowhere.

They should play a lot better at Old Trafford and will probably still go through over the two legs, but that performance tonight was shocking. Long time since I saw Keane being sent off too. Very foolish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Excuse me while I intrude...I saw the second half and I dont think I've ever seen such a lethargic disinterested Man Utd performance. Scholes was notably poor. Looking at the team and the bench, I'd be a bit worried if I were a fan.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I thought they were bad but I was actually not as worried defensivly as I normally would be.
    The two goals scored were absolute class, amazing header espically.

Otherwise that was terrible.

Van N got no service, thats why he went out on the wing which he nearly never does.
    Butt and Keane might aswell have not been in midfield.
    Fortune is a winger, not a defender.

Tonight Fergie was obviously scared about his defense, and the way his team played showed that.
    They sat back, and didn't look for anything.

I still think they'll win 3-1 or so at home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

one word sums up that performance by united - spineless!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by PHB

Van N got no service, thats why he went out on the wing which he nearly never does.
    Butt and Keane might aswell have not been in midfield.
    Fortune is a winger, not a defender.

I'll whisper this...does anyone here think they're really missing one D Beckham? :ninja:

Did Fergie have a go at the Porto manager as they
    "shook" hands....?

Mike.

yep he had a go at him. Im guessing it was over the keane incident, i'd say fergie though that keane did nothing wrong, i'd say it was practically impossible to see what happened from the bench, i was convinced keane had jumped over the keeper until i saw the replay.

Did Fergie have a go at the Porto manager as they
    "shook" hands....?

yea i saw that too, was giving out ****e to him,
    typical fergie

anybody remember the stopwatches back in 1998

Give it a rest jank

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

didnt see the match cuz of work but im pretty happy with that result.
    i was dreading a 1-0 porto win, 2-1 makes our job easier.

at old trafford we should win, however i wouldnt bet on a 1-0. could go to extra time or peno's.

anyway, it'll be an interesting match in manchester, utd dont usually lose big games at old trafford, it's usually to the minnows like m'boro etc...

i think utd are in a much better position than porto. its always nice to get that away goal.

Originally posted by smemon
    didnt see the match cuz of work but im pretty happy with that result.
    i was dreading a 1-0 porto win, 2-1 makes our job easier.

at old trafford we should win, however i wouldnt bet on a 1-0. could go to extra time or peno's.

anyway, it'll be an interesting match in manchester, utd dont usually lose big games at old trafford, it's usually to the minnows like m'boro etc...

i think utd are in a much better position than porto. its always nice to get that away goal.

you wouldnt be saying that if you saw tonights performance. No heart, passion or commitment from most of the team. every cross that comes into united box at the moment looks like a goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

yeah, i can tell it was a poor performance but you can get away with that away from home. at home, the crowd demand wins and let you know that if your poor.

result in any 1st leg is really crucial, performance doesnt matter so long as you make up for it in the 2nd leg, which utd have to do to win. with the pressure on and needing to get a result, thats when utd are at their best, especially at home. like madrid last year.

3-1 and i think utd would have struggled however even that would be achievable for utd. they only way i can see utd losing is on penalties.

Just a reminder, if the result was the same as Madrid last year, united are out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think Fergie should just forget about defense :)

He's got a **** defense atm and he knows it, he should put everything he has into scoring goals.

Nobody will argue that Man Utd. have a world class attack, and they are really gona have to take a Real Madrid approach, and just attack attack attack

• Advertisement
Advertisement