Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Windows XP will not support Eircom broadband"

• 24-02-2004 11:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭

Hey,

We've ordered BB from eircom just today and i'm reading the back of the order sheet. There is a point in the PC Requirement section:
    "Windows XP will not support eircom broadband, installation will be abandoned"

So seriously, can eircom be shipping a product that won't work with XP?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Thats complete crap for starters. I've been running XP since before I got broadband though I'm using a router modem Zyxel Prestige 643. They can only be refering to the drivers being incompatable and in anycase you can most likely download the XP drivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

i'm running XP pro-sp1 and using Zyxel Prestige 630 modem from the fist day Eircom BB came out and it's fine on mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

how can an operating system not support BB ? Its a driver issue for their modem no doubt, as redshift said above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭PrecariousNuts

lollerskates, way to go eircom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

As far as i know only windows 95 and 98 dont support broadband

Every mircosoft os from 98SE up has full support for broadband eircom is talking out of their rear end's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

Originally posted by bizmark
    As far as i know only windows 95 and 98 dont support broadband

Every mircosoft os from 98SE up has full support for broadband eircom is talking out of their rear end's

Surely your talkin' out your rear end bizmark? ;) I could setup a wee box here , stick '95 on it , connect to my router and enjoy broadband.Not a hope in hell of it happening though! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

Peace, that's rubbish. I've had eircom BB for about 9 months, using the Zyxel 630 modem, and I've had absolutely no problems at all. In fact XP has its own built in PPPOE software so there's no need to use any eircom software, just install the modem drivers and set up your connection with the "Create a new connection wizard" in XP.

Tell eircom that's a load of rubbish, and if they still insist that XP can't support eircom BB, tell them you'll take the risk and to process your order. They said the same thing to me when I ordered. Also, ask them to explain how tons of other eircom BB customers are using Windows XP with no problems.

Surely your talkin' out your rear end bizmark? ;)

Wouldnt be the first or last time :D
    Not a hope in hell of it happening though

To right if you get past the blue screens of death every 20 min's the total lack of support for broadband is those old O/S would get ya :)

You need Windows 98 second edtion for broadband Afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

Sorry , just to clear this up.As long as your OS supports tcpip (Win 95 of course) , you can enjoy broadband.Assuming you're using a router.

I think what you're trying to say is Win95 can't be used with USB dsl modems. ;)

opps sorry :dunno:

<-- disreguard anything i say from here on out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by carbsy
    Sorry , just to clear this up.As long as your OS supports tcpip (Win 95 of course) , you can enjoy broadband.Assuming you're using a router.

I think what you're trying to say is Win95 can't be used with USB dsl modems. ;)

Exactly right, carbsy. I think the first edition of Win98 is flakey with dsl too. But a router cures all ills :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jonhate

bizmark are you the mod for broadband??

no really !!! :p

:rolleyes: i know i know ........ Kill me now

[bizmark delate whole thread by "mistake"]

Sorry about that peps... dont know what i was thinking :ninja:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

i've a funny feeling it may be due to the MTU that's automatically above normal in XP, but fine in NT 2K and 98SE??

I know there's been threads about it before so i'll shut up

Daniel :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Aye...must be that they are only shipping Win9X drivers and not the XP drivers for the router....

Tarts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

Could they mean the i-stream software? I know XP doesnt require i-stream software to be installed.
    If not, thats just crap. I have been using XP ever since Eircom BB's came out and I have called them several times saying I am using XP. Not once did they say Eircom BB not compatible with XP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

Originally posted by Peace
    Aye...must be that they are only shipping Win9X drivers and not the XP drivers for the router....

Tarts.

I wouldn't use the drivers eircom supply anyway......just download the latest drivers from the manufacturers site, which will most likely support XP. Problem Solved.:)

Advertisement