Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair 'r' scum

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by Eurorunner
    you can kiss mick o learys butt cheeks as a thank you for your aer lingus fare being a fraction of what it was a couple of years ago..
    I wouldn't touch O'Leary with a bargepole Eurorunner, and I've gladly paid higher prices on Aer Lingus before they decided to compete because I didn't want to risk dropping out of the sky on a Ryanair jet; which, believe me, will happen. If anything, these days I fly less.

I'm just pointing out that you complaining about people complaining is bordering on idiocy in it's hypocrisy. Why not just stick to the subject itself?

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by dahamsta
    I guess so. That'd go a real long way in a court of law as "slander".
    Probably would.

Use the phrase "are scummy" instead of "are scum" and we'd all probably get away scot-free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

I'm just pointing out that you complaining about people complaining is bordering on idiocy in it's hypocrisy. Why not just stick to the subject itself?

Stick to the subject you say adam, scroll up top adam - whats the topic title?
    The reality is that its YOU who's going off topic, dragging this thread into the gutter.
    Adam matey, if you think for one second that i will refrain from voicing my opinion just because YOU dont like it, then think again pal.
    I wouldn't touch O'Leary with a bargepole Eurorunner, and I've gladly paid higher prices on Aer Lingus
    Your choice..but from your response then one can assume that you have benefited from lower fares as a direct result of ryanairs business model despite the fact that your not a customer of theirs.
    they decided to compete because I didn't want to risk dropping out of the sky on a Ryanair jet; which, believe me, will happen. If anything, these days I fly less.
    I've had occasion to speak to an independent contractor who had contracts for aircraft servicing with Lufthansa and British Airways. He has no hesitation in flying back home with Ryanair. His view was that whether it be Ryanair or Lufthansa or whoever, they all have to have their aircraft serviced in accordance with the aviation authoritys regulations - and hell, he should know.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I've gladly paid higher prices on Aer Lingus before they decided to compete because I didn't want to risk dropping out of the sky on a Ryanair jet

Actually Ryanair's maintenace (like easyJet and Southwest and most other big low-cost carriers) have planes which are actually quite well maintained. Ryanair is no more likely to "drop out of the sky" than any other airline.

Stick to the subject you say adam, scroll up top adam - whats the topic title?
    The reality is that its YOU who's going off topic, dragging this thread into the gutter.
    Indeed, and I'll leave it there. Well done for kicking it off though. <applause>

Your choice..but from your response then one can assume that you have benefited from lower fares as a direct result of ryanairs business model despite the fact that your not a customer of theirs.

The Royal "One" might also argue that in total I've spent less, because I fly less often, because the quality of air travel has come down, while the risk has gone up.

and hell, he should know.

I have colleagues in the air industry too, in particular one that actually repairs aircraft components. He and his colleagues won't get on a Ryanair jet. Unfortunately many other airlines are now following Ryanair down the minimum maintenance route, which leaves me with little choice. But Ryanair kicked it off. Ryanair and their ilk are responsible.

Any man that will take a petty argument with airport operators about wheelchairs out on disabled people is going to cut corners across the board, including safety. People that can't see that are wearing massive blinkers.

adam

• Advertisement

Any man that will take a petty argument with airport operators about wheelchairs out on disabled people is going to cut corners across the board, including safety. People that can't see that are wearing massive blinkers.

Well at least he is being honest about it. Wheelchairs, attendents and other disabled facilities cost money. This charge has to be passed on. Other operators incorporate this into their existing operational costs without making it known. I can't see what the problem is.

With regards to Ryanair - the IAA (wo regularily check Ryanairs fleet) have no problem with their safety record - so why should anyone else. To my knowledge Ryanair have never had a fatal incident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by BuffyBot
    With regards to Ryanair - the IAA (wo regularily check Ryanairs fleet) have no problem with their safety record - so why should anyone else. To my knowledge Ryanair have never had a fatal incident.

I was on a Ryanair plane last year , fully loaded for takeoff, when the GROUND STAFF noticed a hole in the tail about the size of a grapefruit.

Neither of the Ryanair pilots had NOTICED anything because neither had strolled around the plane to inspect the control surfaces .

That was at about 2PM. Servisair , the ground agents for Ryanair , then busied themselves lying to everybody about the replacement plane whihc still hadn't taken off by 10Pm that night. Ryanair lost a load of customers that night.

1. Because their pilots did not notice the hole .
    2. Because the ground agents made a complete dogs dinner of the whole replacement plane issue and cost a lot of people their connecting flights which were RYANAIR flights OUT of Stansted that evening.

M

Well at least he is being honest about it. Wheelchairs, attendents and other disabled facilities cost money. This charge has to be passed on. Other operators incorporate this into their existing operational costs without making it known. I can't see what the problem is.
    I'm not denying that the cost has to be covered somehow, in fact I think that the cost should be borne by the airports. I'm talking about their way of handling it. Hence my comment "he took it out on disabled people". O'Leary used them and abused them to get his own way. Like the bully that he is.

It's only a matter of time.

adam

In fairness, almost everything is eventual in some form or another and saying that "it's only a matter of time" is just the cry of a naysayer.
    I was on a Ryanair plane last year , fully loaded for takeoff, when the GROUND STAFF noticed a hole in the tail about the size of a grapefruit.

And. Did the plane take off with said grapefruit sized hole in it? Have similar incidents not occured with other airlines? Of course they have.
    Because the ground agents made a complete dogs dinner of the whole replacement plane issue and cost a lot of people their connecting flights which were RYANAIR flights OUT of Stansted that evening.

This certainly happens with other airlines. I've experienced plenty of delays in all the air travel we've done and ground staff (especially those of contracted out companies) are never all that great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Specky

as, probabalistically speaking, is everything.

A Ryanair plane may one day fall from the sky. The reason may be mechanical.

But to sit around waiting for this to happen so that you can say "I told you so" or to focus on specific instances of problems with Ryanair planes on the ground whilst the aircraft of other airlines experience identical mechanical failures everyday of the week and deal with the passengers just as badly is a bit sad.

I've been on Aer Lingus, British Midland and British Airways planes that have had problems on the ground, I've even been on an Aer Lingus plane that was turned back to the terminal whilst taxiing out because of a problem. They've all been dealt with slowly (you can't just pluck another plane from the sky to replace the one that's failed, not if you have a well utilised fleet).

It's just like being on a train. They fail. You sit around. You wait while the driver tells you all sorts of crap about cows on the line while you watch smoke spewing out of the engine....eventually it gets sorted.

If you have a friend who works there who won't fly on their planes then this suggests he is a bit of a knob with a chip on his shoulder about something more than aircraft safety. Like in most larger organisations there are plenty of people prepared to bitch about their employers. You read them here on boards every day of the week complaining about something or other.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

I have flown with Ryanair in the past, with good and bad experiences, and may fly Ryanair in the future but never without checking out some alternatives beforehand. I was interested some time ago to hear a travel consultant refuse to refer to Ryanair as a Low-Cost airline, rather they were a point-to-point outfit, one that will fly you from A to B but are utterly incapable of providing you with a connection from B to C.

As for low cost: Ryanair are great if they fly to where you want to go. If your intended destination is Charleroi - great. If you want to go to Brussels or Frankfurt don't fall for the old line that Charleroi and Haan are respectively the same places. Do check out the alternatives.

For example, even though Aer Lingus has discontinued its Dublin-London City service, Cityjet still operates on that route. If you want to travel to and from anywhere on the East side of London to Dublin then I strongly recommend that you price out a CityJet flight before you shell out automatically for Ryanair from Stansted.

Pricing out some flights for a weekend at the end of May last week and found that the flights alone from London City were about the same, give or take a couple of Euro as the Ryanair flights from Stansted. Then of course you've got to get the train out to Stansted which adds more time and cost.

You wouldn't be human if the Ryanair attitude of 'Our promise is so good, how dare you complain when we utterly fail to deliver' got up your nose. So the argument: 'if it wasn't for Ryanair it would still be several hundred quid to fly to England' is valid enough but Mr O'Leary would surely share the sentiment that in in his version of capitalism you never say thank you, you say **** you.

Happy travels.

In fairness, almost everything is eventual in some form or another and saying that "it's only a matter of time" is just the cry of a naysayer.
    And vice versa. :)

Originally posted by Specky
    But to sit around waiting for this to happen so that you can say "I told you so"
    You think I'd be saying that if a plane dropped out of the sky, killing hundreds of people? I know I have a reputation of being a bit of a ranter around here, but my you have a bad impression of me.

Security is a trade off, as Schneier would say, and I'm just not willing to trade my personal safety against a few quid. I'm not stopping anyone here from flying Ryanair though. Help yourselves chums.

adam

You think I'd be saying that if a plane dropped out of the sky, killing hundreds of people? I know I have a reputation of being a bit of a ranter around here, but my you have a bad impression of me.

Deflecting the argument by attempting to sensationalise the comments of others is also a common tactic on boards...:p

If there were an accident involving a Ryanair aircraft I would guarantee that there would be queues of people ready to say they saw it coming and that this was an accident waiting to happen and to recount all the anecdotal stuff we're seeing here. That, I'm afraid I have to conclude, would be people saying, to all intents and purposes, "I told you so", no matter how many bodies lay strewn across the runway or bobbing in the sea.

Didn't everyone say how bad security in US airports was AFTER september 11th???

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Originally posted by Hairy Homer

As for low cost: Ryanair are great if they fly to where you want to go. If your intended destination is Charleroi - great. If you want to go to Brussels or Frankfurt don't fall for the old line that Charleroi and Haan are respectively the same places. Do check out the alternatives.
    They have these amazing things called buses in Charleroi and also trains.

If you take *any* airline to Dublin you end up in Dublin airport, which, in case you havent noticed, is in the back arse of nowhere, with only buses to get you into the city centre.

Its far easier & cheaper to get to where you want from Charleroi than Dublin imho.

you could also fly into one of Dublin's other international airports....they're called Shannon and Cork.....

On the off subject topic of Shannon, what a kip. I one of those really annoying stop overs there a couple of weeks ago on a flight to the US and despite the opportunity it has been given through the stopovers to develop itself it still is a kip and a very unpleasant place to be stuck for a couple of hours.

On the way back I came via Heathrow. I used to fly through Heathrow about once a fortnight and always found it just fine...on my recent journey everyone said to me before hand "oh you poor thing, having to go through heathrow is a nightmare..."

To be honest I'd much rather have a 2 hour stopover in Heathrow than one in Shannon.

Deflecting the argument by attempting to sensationalise the comments of others is also a common tactic on boards...
    Moving the goalposts is another...
    If there were an accident involving a Ryanair aircraft I would guarantee that there would be queues of people ready to say they saw it coming and that this was an accident waiting to happen and to recount all the anecdotal stuff we're seeing here. That, I'm afraid I have to conclude, would be people saying, to all intents and purposes, "I told you so", no matter how many bodies lay strewn across the runway or bobbing in the sea.
    But to sit around waiting for this to happen so that you can say "I told you so"
    Emphasis mine.

"It's all YOUR fault!"
    "No it's not."
    "I said it's all THEIR fault!"
    "No you didn't."

You'd want to get that pointing finger checked out Specky. Got a mind of its own.

adam

And vice versa. :)

LOL - not really. I'm trying to be realistic. It is quite possible a Ryanair plane my have an accident in the future. Possible, being the operative word, as it is with all airlines.

Look you're at it again!

I presume Adam, despite all your faults (;) ) that you are willing to accept that you are "a person" and therefore referable to in the collective "people"?

If you really wanted me to direct my opinion specifically at you I would do so if it made you feel better but you are not the only person banging on the anti-Ryanair drum with the prophecies of doom, hence I used the collective term for all people in that group, of which you are one.

Jeez...

Your reply, rather than being aimed at the issue, concentrates on the semantics of my post. Typical smoke screening.

Typical smoke screening.
    What's to smokescreen? There isn't exactly a scintillating underlying topic here: I think Ryanair is sh*t, you don't. What's to talk about?

adam

• Advertisement

you could also fly into one of Dublin's other international airports....they're called Shannon and Cork.....
    Errrr what?
    a) They are not in Dublin, the names of the Airports should have given it away...
    b) not much use being in Shannon if you want to get in Dublin City Centre, like I pointed out in my post.

Sorry redoxan, I was being a bit tangential but agreeing with you at the same time. The point is that when you fly into Dublin there is no choice of airport, you have to be stuck out there at the mercy of the taxis and busses. No train service and none on the horizon. Gatwick and Stanstead are in lousy locations but at least both have a decent (but a bit pricey) train service into central london....not quite so handy as the tube from heathrow but at least the service is there, unlike Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

What's to smokescreen? There isn't exactly a scintillating underlying topic here: I think Ryanair is sh*t, you don't. What's to talk about?

adam

I thought the topic was that Ryanair have forced the entire industry to become unsafe because your mate who fixes a few parts told you so.

I thought it was about Ryanair crew paying for training. Was until the Ryanair *hugz* crew came along anyway. *shrug*

There isn't exactly a scintillating underlying topic here: I think Ryanair is sh*t, you don't. What's to talk about?

Whats to talk about?..fine - if you've made your point and as per the above, have nothing left to contribute, then kindly sling yer hook and let the rest of us exercise our democratic right to an opinion.

My my, Adam - you really do have a 'reputation' to uphold don't you:rolleyes:

I didn't want to risk dropping out of the sky on a Ryanair jet; which, believe me, will happen

I don't think there is a *hugz* crew here. Most people are willing to accept criticism, but not unfounded speculation like the comment above that was posted by your good self.

I thought it was about Ryanair crew paying for training. Was until the Ryanair *hugz* crew came along anyway. *shrug*

so people who disagree with you or dont have a problem with ryanair are now part of the "hugz crew"?

Hmmm, do you have a problem with people not agreeing with you, or people playing devils advocate?

My my, Adam - you really do have a 'reputation' to uphold don't you:rolleyes:
    I don't really know what that means tbh. I didn't know I had a reputation, pray tell me all about it.
    I don't think there is a *hugz* crew here. Most people are willing to accept criticism, but not unfounded speculation like the comment above that was posted by your good self.
    Now we're getting somewhere! Most people aren't willing to accept criticism, as this thread demonstrates amply. They whine about it.
    Originally posted by redoxan
    so people who disagree with you or dont have a problem with ryanair are now part of the "hugz crew"?
    No, the people that think Ryanair is just dandy is the hugz crew. They're entitled to hug all they like, I don't have a problem with them. I may laugh at them, but that's another matter entirely.
    Originally posted by redoxan Hmmm, do you have a problem with people not agreeing with you, or people playing devils advocate?
    I love when people disagree with me, as should be obvious. What makes me laugh, though, is when people piss and moan about people pissing and moaning. It's so hypocritical it cracks me up.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭drane2

There's a very good book on airline safety called The Tombstone Imperative that I recommend everyone reads. A realy eye-opener and proof that all airlines can get it wrong from time to time.

For example, did you know that London City airport is one of the most unsafe airports to fly into in Europe due to the length of the runway?

While Ryanair airports may be miles out of the city, they are much quicker and easier to get through and they may even save you time on the odd occasion.

• Advertisement

I don't really know what that means tbh. I didn't know I had a reputation, pray tell me all about it.

No?...well whats this then:
    I know I have a reputation of being a bit of a ranter around here

Whats the matter Adam...getting lost in your own bs...

Advertisement