Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storage Heaters

• 25-02-2004 1:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

Not strictly DIY, but I'm hoping someone can help.

In the last couple of days I've noticed that my storage heaters don't come on until the wee small hours of the morning and are still on when I leave the house around 9am. This isn't right is it? They're supposed to operate between 11pm & 8am, right?

Whats up? In fact, where is the timer for these things usually to be found? I'm not in this place long, and I've never had storage heaters before.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

The storage heater go right back to your mains/meter and are timed as follows...

The lower cost hours for Nightsaver electricity are from 11 p.m. to 8 a.m. in wintertime (late October to late March) and from 12 midnight to 9 a.m. in summertime (late March to late October). ESB does not adjust the timeswitch that controls the Nightsaver meter when the time changes to and from wintertime. That's why there's a difference in the Nightsaver hours between wintertime and summertime.

Don't know why your's seem to be on at different times.
    I assumed you have night rate installed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

There's probably an adjuster on your fuse box that allows you to alter the timing of the storage heaters by + or - an hour or two.

But don't get me started on now storage heating is a crap system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,446 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There may also be a time on the individual units behind an access panel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

Alrighty, found a knob in the fusebox and twiddled it a bit. No response, but I've set it a couple of hours earlier than it was previously.

Will report later.

Thanks for suggestions so far.

No joy :(

I really don't want to call out an expert and find there was another knob needed twiddling. I'd feel silly then.

Any other ideas?

• Advertisement

Timer completely knackered now :( Storage heaters don't come on at all!

My house was bloody freezing when I got home this evening.

Where can I find a heater timer fixer? :dunno:

Called ESB. They came out this morning to replace the timer on the meter. All working correctly again :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Good to hear!:)

Nice to know we didn't miss something obvious too:D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Eric, great advice and all, but you might want to respond to more recent query's, 6 years is pushing it. Also, link removed.

Advertisement