Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ffx-2

Options
  • 25-02-2004 2:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭

Im about 2hrs into it now, and I have to say,Im highly dissapointed.

Firstly, its more hentai, then a game. At the start, your greeted with Rikku wearing a bikini, with her thong literally around her waist. About 2mins later, the camera shows up Yuna's skirt. This is about as good as the game has been for me, so far.

The new voice actors are also, quite bad. Rikku sounds like a powerpuff girl, who's trying to be one of the olsen twins. Really, if you heard her talk, you'd agree.

Lip syncing seems to be worse then FFX, also.

And the climb/jump system is...worst ever.

Storyline has also been very very poor compared to other FF's, so far. Music isnt worth writing home about, either.

Graphically, it hasnt changed since FFX, but I cant really see what could be improved on,considering its ps2.

Anybody else dissapointed with this game?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

Rikku's va is one of the Powerpuff Girls :)

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0152839/

And its not henti, its not even echi its just lots of fan service.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

FFX-2 is the first FF game I've skipped since FFV on the SNES. Square have been going downhill steadily and have yet to make a great game for the PS2 - Kingdom Hearts was merely decent. They seem to have fallen a long way from the SNES/PSOne days when nearly everything they produced was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

Bah, I've been playing loads of FFX to finish it off before buying a copy of this. I was hoping it would be great. I'm hoping it will get better as the story develops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭regeneration

In fairness, ever since The Spirits Within, Square seem obessed with making the cutest possible CGI chicks. 40 year old single male developers? Why yes sir, but ones with a good eye for cuteness.

The Final Fantasy series has never reached the heights though since FF7, let's be honest. Maybe they should take a creative hiatus at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Len_007

Played it in GamesWorld, I mean eh, GameStop yesterday for a minuit. I know that's not grounds to judge the gameplay but the graphics were nice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

all this square bashing.
    the spirits within is why square had to make x-2.
    they were bankrupt and had to shut down all projects that were not 100% profit makers. thats why chrono break has been put on hold, thats why full metal alchemist is being touted as square-enix's next big franchise due to this cross media project idea that is popular in japan at the moment.
    would you rather see a few not so great(which are still way beyond the quality of most other developers) square titles that get them back on their feet and able to fund abitious projects like ff xii or the remake of front mission 1 and translation of front mission 2?

writing off square enix because ff x-2 is not on par with previous efforts is like throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

p.s ff x is better than vii

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Ive been playing it for about 4 hours now, and yeah, i agree the Dialogue, and story are sub-par, and the annoying J-pop music really grates after a while. But the new battle system is a bit more real-time, and the dressphere thingy is a bit of fun, all in all its obviously not up there with the greatest square games i.e FFVII and Vagrant story. But i think if you are comparing it to those masterpieces youre missing the point, its supposed to be a spin off game, 'diet' FF if you like, all the fun, half the fat kinda thing. To me, it reminds me of FF tactics. It mission based, doesnt have much of a story, and concentrates mostly on fighting. And if you imagine FF directed by Graham Norton, youre halfway there. :D

Its not bad, i like it. But roll on FF XII

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's not just because of X-2. Almost every game Square have released on the current generation of consoles has left me cold. The Bouncer, Driving Emotion Type S, Unlimited Saga, FFX. Kingdom Hearts is the exception and is a fun little game (albeit with serious camera issues), but even that doesn't live up to the Square pedigree. I haven't played Crystal Chronicles yet, and I have high hopes for it, but it does seems to be getting a cool reception from the gaming media.

Square are in someways victims of their own success. Because they created such bona-fide classics across for nearly two decades, people always expect something more, something exceptional from their games, sadly they haven't produced the goods of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

Originally posted by super_furry
    It's not just because of X-2. Almost every game Square have released on the current generation of consoles has left me cold. The Bouncer, Driving Emotion Type S, Unlimited Saga, FFX.

Oh god you reminded me of The Bouncer. All i can remember from that was when you start it up and it goes THE BOUNCER! in a really deep voice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭TheSonOfBattles

Originally posted by DiscoStu
    ap.s ff x is better than vii

Quoted for truth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭wataru

I gotta say when I first started playing it I was really thrown by it all... I mean I new about the concert thingy since I downloaded the intro last march... but it all seemed very confusing and un-FF... But trust me stick with it, it gets much better, am about 20 somethin hours thru and with chapter three comes less j-pop sounds on the celsius(the other tune was so annoying when you had to hear it between every mission, altho i love the mission select j-rock) and a much more serious story.

Unless you are blind, you must admit that the battle system is a whole new speed beast... I have never played an RPG where you could dispatch a bunch of small fry enemies so quickly...

Oh and make sure to check out all non-hotspot locales before progressing further I missed out on a whole lot of opening sub missions that my mate ses are so cool...

Oh and a note to the guy who knows his voice actors so well(imdb heheh), if you like Tara Strong check out famil guy she does most of the supporting girl characters especially the stewie episodes... Anyone notice that 90% of the voice actors in all the Animatrix animes are from FFX, looks like the wachowski's gotta hard on for the square... uh i mean square-enix tch!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

the spirits within is why square had to make x-2.
    Thats also probably why they're making a movie sequel to Final Fantasy VII. That seems a bit strange though, you think they would make more money making a sequel game which would sell for €50 as opposed to a dvd which would sell for €30.

Anyways, got myself a copy of FFX-2 yesterday and its pretty dissapointing so far, the storyline is dire.

As I have said at the point I am at now in the game I'm loving the thing...

The only aspect of the release that i feel is truly dire is the fact that they did not give us EU boys the last mission disc that was released witht the Japanese International edition.. it truly sux, since square were good enough to give us the dark aeons on the FFX pal edition... hopefully some of the extras on the actual jap international disc will be on our versions it would explain the delay in release and the way EU FFX-2 was released a day after the Japanese international edition....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

im only my first hour into the game and so far bitterly dissapointed, i hate all this cute girlpower dancing crap, music is awfull, graphics seem worse than the superb final fantasy X with alot more anitalising problems, i really hope this gets better soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

I agree with Wataru it does improve immensley once you get into the game a bit more-as for the graphics gonzo I can see very little difference between the two.Though the first few hours are a bit annoying.Im enjoying it in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

I thought it was a bit of a disappointment too at the start but it does get very good after a while.

The battle system is simple and fast, which i like.

Remember to do all the missions for each chapter btw, I didn't realise like wataru and didn't start doing them untill the 3rd chapter. Missed out on Paine's special dressphere

GG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Is it cool to bitch about FF-X2 week? The game is fun and most people don't seem to have a clue what they are talking about.

The graphics are identicle to FF-X.

The jump/climb system works well for what it's trying to do.

Lip syncing was never spot on and it's a lot better than FF-X where there are loads of arkward gaps between dialogues. Rikku IS annoying though.

2 hours into the game and people are whining about how disappointing the game is and how crap the story is. Name one FF game you can figure out what direction the story is going after 2 hours.

The battle system is great.

Yes it's a bit of fan service, so bloody what?

Stop bitching already and play it instead!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

ap.s ff x is better than vii

Blasphemy!

Anyway, I'm also very disappointed with this game. I'm a good bit into chapter 3 and I can't really see the game improving. The characters are really annoying. It's like having to listen to a bunch of Selphies and I hated Selphie. Moving around the maps is fun but I don't like the new battle system. It's a pain in the ass when your combos get interrupted and its too fast to let you think of any real strategy. Most of the dresspheres are useless compared to some of the more powerful ones.

Overall the game is fun and better than the other filth taking up shelf space in games stores but in my opinion its the worst of the series since FF2.

hmmmm indeed the graphics have not taken a drastic overhaul....

But I have to say that the scale of things has gotten larger, you only have to glance at area's like the floating ruins and Bikanel areas(gotta love the cloud shadowing effects on the dunes... altho this is probably due to the fact that the old ps2 only has to deal with three player character models at the one time instead of having 8....

Oh well Im a fan and i love it... so flame on board boys.. cos you shall not pass:D

I gotta say, the more i play this, the more it grows on me. I just cleared the first chapter..and i want more dammit!!!!
    Sure its not FFVII..but what is?! Just enjoy it for what it is, instead of comparing it to classics it cant possibly hope to emulate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

Coolest game this year and very refreshing.

Truly worth your Hard Earned Euro Dollars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

FFX is almost as good as FF7 imo.

The reason 7 will always be better was because it came first... also until another game can come up with a villian half as bad ass as Sephiroth, no game is gonna tough 7's coolness.

Auron is pretty cool in FFX though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

Yeah getting further into it know and loving it.Great game imo-retro you must be crazy to think the battle system sucks-its far better and much less static than the old ways.

Go Auron, besht character ever.

Id feckin love to see a remake of VII, with the current level of graphics and music, would be so sweet.

but in my opinion its the worst of the series since FF2.

Retro, I feel your a little uncomfortable with the girlishness of the game, perhaps your just afraid to express your true feelings.

The fact is you say: "It's like having to listen to a bunch of Selphies and I hated Selphie" and really you just want to join them on there mad adventures, dress like them etc. Oh such fun they have!!!!

But you cant because of the social attitude to such behaviour.

I truly feel 4 you, but don’t just diss a game because of your problems.

Seriously, this game is brilliant.

oh yeah I almost forgot, do you still have that 1.5gigs of selphie hentai?

PM me if you do.

Originally posted by Ryo Hazuki

The fact is you say: "It's like having to listen to a bunch of Selphies and I hated Selphie" and really you just want to join them on there mad adventures, dress like them etc. Oh such fun they have!!!!

*LoL* Classic! We should start a boards gullwing type clan! I bagsy being Rikku, she has just got the cutest hair!! *squeaks*

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

starting to get slightly more into the game and its improving a wee bit but still not great, im still finding it souless compared to ffx... was thinking of giving the game back but im still trying to convince myself that this game has some element of enjoyment inside it. Im really not happy the way the've changed Yuna, I much prefered her in ffx, in ffx2 so far she seems bland and souless. Rikku is even more annoying than she was in ffx and the new character is kinda souless too.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

Originally posted by Gonzo
    Im really not happy the way the've changed Yuna, I much prefered her in ffx, in ffx2 so far she seems bland and souless. Rikku is even more annoying than she was in ffx and the new character is kinda souless too.

If you think about it a little, Yuna's personality change really is'nt that of a shock, it makes sense...

****************MAJOR FFX SPOILERS AHEAD*******************

Her father dies saving the world, everyone is celebrating and a big blue thing comes and tells her she's gotta go to some island due to her fathers last wishes. Whats girl to do? Be bloody traumatised thats what.
    From then on her life is the Ms. Tropicana Nun competition, where she trains to die the same way as her father, she is not permitted to see relatives or cousins(rikku) cos most of them a shunned ethnic group....

Then what happens... well the thing that happens to most hard done by heroines... she meets a boy, a blitzboy if you will, and he has some radical views on the whole religous suicide thing, namely that its not cool and on top of that he is a bit of funky surfs up stud...

FFW...

Girl falls in love, due to blitzboys total disrespect for athority and bad boy attitude, they unravel the web of deceit and dumbass ethics and save the world in the process...

Blitz boy 'fades' away quicker then catholisism and once again Yuna is left sittin on a beach bereaving over someone she loves most, cept this time its with Rikku whoose hormones have just exploded...

the Al Bhed invent thongs and there own kinky label of over priced clothing, to which Yuna gets a discount due to mmmm... friends in the biz.

Finds a cheap ass S&M sphere with a dude who looks like blitzboy Tidus, joins the Dullwings (Leblanc rox), she decides nicking pretty sparkling things is the way to find him....

and as a result of all this we get.....

12.jpg

x

JayJay

We should start a boards gullwing type clan! I bagsy being Rikku, she has just got the cutest hair!! *squeaks*

Ill take Paine.

Ok Retr0gaymer can have selphie if he wants.... But id rather be selphie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

I'm about halfway through chapter 2, and I have to say I'm really enjoying it. At first I didn't like it that much, the whole girl power thing is irksome, and I didn't realise how you did side missions until the end of chapter 1, but it really grew on me. Rikku's voice is kind of crappy in this one, but I think Yuna's va acting has gotten better. I think it might edge into my top 3 favourite ps2 games, previously occupied with Ico, Kingdom Hearts and FFX. Not the best FF ever though, by a long shot.

Advertisement