Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ffx-2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

No Final fantasy game is better than FFVII for a number of reasons but an important one was the MATERIA system, which was excellent.

tell me that there is no Sphere Grid, Aeons or that the 9999 hp/damage barrier can be broken and i WILL buy this game.

I loved FFX story but the game mechanics were just so flawed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Originally posted by nesthead

tell me that there is no Sphere Grid, Aeons or that the 9999 hp/damage barrier can be broken and i WILL buy this game.

i found nothing wrong with any of these concepts, the sphere grid i though was a very good way of levelling up, aeons in some form or other have been around for ages and it doesn't matter what they said the max damage barrier to be 9999, 99999 as they have increased the hp of the monsters accordingly i think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Originally posted by nesthead
    No Final fantasy game is better than FFVII for a number of reasons but an important one was the MATERIA system, which was excellent.
    The materia system was pretty good but I found the game mechanics in most other FF games, especially the sphere grid system in FFX, to be just as fun. And for those of you who thinks FF7 is the best game ever, when was the last time you've played it? I bought the platinum edition and played it in january and it's an incredibly dated game. There are also a number of reasons why FFX is better than FF7 so quit draggin FF7 for comparison unless you've played it recently as memories are never 100% reliable!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I thought the game mechanics in FFX where close to prefect. Theres enough skills to get most people through the game but theres absolutelytonnes for anyone who wants to master the game. Also the battle system was the best I've used in any RPG, including Grandia. Making it turned based made it more tactical. I'm not a big fan of ATB.

I bagsy Leblanc as long as I get to wear an al bhed thong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

*twirsl hair round finger* well this is just disasteriffic, retro! err i mean leblanc! Tee hee!!

But yeah..good game and such :D If nothing else, it did make me remember what an excellent game FFX was, and what a great story it had. (best story since VII IMO)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ah, disasteriffic :D

What fantastic dire-logue, loves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

I'm very tempted to go and buy this but I must resist for the sake of my Leaving Cert. It sounds like a bit of fun and my confidence in it has improved after reading Shinji's review. It's a little dissapointing because Square could've been off developing another epic rather than a spin-off, but I'm a Square nerd and will probably buy this later on. Pity the conversion is awful again I do my gaming on a fairly small screen :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

I must resist for the sake of my Leaving Cert.

I bought it like a day before my Irish mocks.

Yeah i failed them.
    But I dont care cause its a savage game!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Out of the FF series id say FFVII was the best, but still not as good as Chrono Trigger

Just started playing chrono trigger because of the disappointment of FFX-2 :D

I didn't do as well as I should have in my leaving Cert because of FFVII. However FFVII was more important than any exam :ninja:

• Advertisement

You should also play the true sequel to CT, which is Radical Dreamers, which is available in English now(it was jap only), more info and perhaps a download link here http://www.angelfire.com/nf/chronotriggeronline/radicaldreamers.html

Thanks a million for that. Didn't even know the game existed. Something else to play before Chrono Cross :D

It actually ties up much of the loose ends left by CT, and for completness is a must to play, also makes understanding CC a little better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

I told myself I'd just rent it to satisfy my curiousity in the game but xtra-vision hadn't it for rental.. Naturally I bought the bloody thing instead. Honours maths paper 1 tomorrow woohoo, I can't get that damn new battle tune out of my head let alone even try to remember what I need to know :)

I was prepared for the worst as cheesyness goes so I didn't mind it too much. Having a bit of freedom is nice but I don't know if im too pushed on this switching jobs malarky in battles. It's trés annoying to find out you have to make a second switch for the type of class you want if it's too far away on the grid. I suppose I should just focus certain classes on certain characters to avoid that. The voice acting is annoying as usual, the "Leblanc" people possibly being the most annoying video game characters ever. I'm actually finding this harder at the start than usual FF's I'm not used to the fast battles yet. I'm only on chapter one and It seems like good fun.. I'd recommend it if youre a Square fan and have played FFX.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭rcunning03

I have to say I found ffx as good (not better or worse) as ffvii. final fantasy viii was complete muck adapted to please the American market, didn't play ffix and I am really looking forward to ffxi.

Speaking of ffvii, maybe someone can help me, I get as far as the chocobo races and my pc crashes, this is really annoying as I dont have a psone (use to have ps2 but sold it) and even if I did ffvii seems not to be published anymore. Does anybody know of a fix I can download and would fit on a floppy as I have internet access at college but not at home.

I should be able to borrow a psone though, so can anyone tell me the best place to get a copy. Final Fantasy spirits within was excellent except for all the macho crap and "history" between the main characters which obviously was put in for our fat American friends.

This looks good also
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000C9JEJ/qid=1078231559/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_10_2/026-5204092-8786066

One last question is ffiii available on psone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Final Fantasy spirits within was excellent except for all the macho crap and "history" between the main characters which obviously was put in for our fat American friends.

What macho "crap" ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

The only place i know where you can order old psone FF games is www.gameplay.com

BTW, wat macho crap in FF: spirits within?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

ya id like to know that as well seeming the whole plot was based around earth thinking it was under attack from alien invaders ....so you know the fact that theres a militry team in it isnt suppriseing (for those of us that watched the damn film anyway)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭regeneration

Originally posted by rcunning03
    I should be able to borrow a psone though, so can anyone tell me the best place to get a copy. Final Fantasy spirits within was excellent except for all the macho crap and "history" between the main characters which obviously was put in for our fat American friends.
    Hmmm was this the same Macho crap that was pretty much the reason why everything and everyone got bu**ered in the movie? ;)
    And what's a FF without a little romance? :)

What macho "crap" ?

I'm referring to the marines and the way they're so gung-ho like "My father's buried here somewhere" but what really annoyed me was the wise-cracking humorous marine.

The problem I had with the romance is that they had to of had a history, it's the whole they irritate each other at first then realise their love, it's typical hollywood crap, Why couldn't they of just been girlfriend and boyfriend. Was it really important to the story that they had a history together.

Don't get me wrong I loved the film, I watch it regularly on DVD and I think the story is great. I have probably seen it too many times and am nit-picking but I do think the story was written by the Japanese, then the American backers of the film suggested a few "improvements" to increrase it's mass-market appeal.

Maybe I'm wrong, I'm really interested to see what Final Fantasy Unlimited is like, I have a feeling that the words "get a girlfriend" won't appear anywhere.

In summary, love the film, love the story, think the general is one of the coolest characters ever. Didn't like the wise cracking marine, the female marine that you wouldn't want to mess with, the strong marine that didn't want any drugs for the pain cause he's a real man and the will they wont they nonsense. I'm reading this back to myself and it does seem like I didn't like the movie, but I loved and watch it almost as much as lord of the rings, I just wish they didn't compromise for western mass market appeal. It's like after the success of ffvii they felt the next one needed more western appeal, ffviii was still good but not on a par with ffvii or ffx (haven't played ffix).
    The only place i know where you can order old psone FF games is www.gameplay.com

Thanks

• Advertisement

I do think the story was written by the Japanese, then the American backers of the film suggested a few "improvements" to increrase it's mass-market appeal.
    well considering the film bombed and pretty much bankrupted Square, you have to ask if it did because of the Eastern or Western influences - the eastern high-brow plot, or wester gung-ho'ness

I think if it had of been more eastern, it would of been more successful, cause with a final fantasy movie that's what you want (me anyway). When one culture tries to copy another if never works e.g. The uk version of "that 70's show", the US version of "fawlty towers".

Part of the appeal of ffvii (for me anyway), apart from the great storyline was the sometimes baffling madness of it. e.g At the train station near the start of the game there are two guys talking if you listen to them, they actually kill themselves. Whereas with ffviii they made an attempt to be more western and it just didn't work as well as ffvii. Apparently (though I've not played it) ffix seems to be more Japanessey and ffx was total class.

Some advice, if you have a ps2 don't sell it, somewhere down the line you'll regret it. My pc is really getting on my nerves. I'd love to get a ps2 and play all the final fantasy games (including 8) which by the time I'd finish them all, ffxi should be out on ps2.

I'd finish them all, ffxi should be out on ps2.

yes but it will run and look better for anyone with a half decent pc these days and there is no guarantee it is coming out in europe, however you can get it now from the states run it on your pc and it works fine on a 56k modem (apart from the large initial download)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

so far, it's the most dissapointing final fantasy game i've played. it just doesn't feel like a real ff game. i'll still clear it at least once, but not as quickly. but nowhere near as good as ffvii.

also can someone give another link for that translated chrono trigger sequel, cause the link doesn't work for me.

I think if it had of been more eastern, it would of been more successful, cause with a final fantasy movie that's what you want (me anyway). When one culture tries to copy another if never works e.g. The uk version of "that 70's show", the US version of "fawlty towers".
    In fairness, western or eastern, the script for Spirits within was utter tripe. I mean the bad guy actually had the nerve to go "what have I done?!?" when the sh*t hit the fan. The pace was leaden and uneven; too many faults to list. I personally think it failed because the movie was essentially very poor, and vehicle just for the CGI. Advent Children might work out better.
    Apparently (though I've not played it) ffix seems to be more Japanessey and ffx was total class.
    Uhhhh it's class and yet you've never played it. Now there's symptoms of fanboy syndrome ;) :P
    Some advice, if you have a ps2 don't sell it, somewhere down the line you'll regret it. My pc is really getting on my nerves. I'd love to get a ps2 and play all the final fantasy games (including 8) which by the time I'd finish them all, ffxi should be out on ps2.
    I don't have a PS2, played most/all of the FFs up until the ones released on the PS2. And X-2 looks soooooooooo cheesy and crap; I'd rather play ff8 - and that's saying something.
    Oh and FF:Unlimited looks and sounds really crap.

Originally posted by regeneration

Uhhhh it's class and yet you've never played it. Now there's symptoms of fanboy syndrome ;) :P

i think he was referring to FF X which he's played and FF IX which he hasn't ;)

That radical dreamers link isn't working for me either. The file seems corrupt. Can some one post or PM me if they manage to find it?

Aha, there was a cunning little 'i' in there that senór dumbo here didn't notice. Though yeah - ffIX kinda sucked. Plot never really went anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

the link worked for me.

The actually link for the zip file is http://www.angelfire.com/nf/chronotriggeronline/roms/radical-e.zip

• Advertisement

Oh and FF:Unlimited looks and sounds really crap.

I think it looks pretty cool, I'll buy the first volume anyway see what it's like. I'm sure ffxi would look better on a pc but with a ps2 it's less likely to have one of a possible million different problems. I'm sick of the tempremental nature of pc's they seem to work when they feel like it.

Advertisement