Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More Dumbing Down....

• 25-02-2004 10:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭

And now it's being done by none less than the Lord Mayor. The Grand Marshall for this years Patrick's Day parade is ....................... Dustin the Turkey!

Yesterday, Cllr Colm Burke announced that he, in his capacity as Lord Mayor had issued the invitation to the puppet figure. I s'pose he thinks it's funneh and (cough) "funky". There is something seriously PROC about this. Maybe I'm being too uptight, but I think such an honour should not be treated as glibly as this. It's insulting to the city and to the office of Lord Mayor IMHO. Surely there are deserving individuals who could have been considered for the honour, or some local groups/worthwhile organisations who could have their achievements and contribution to city life recognised.

And this on the eve of City of Culture 2005 ................. jaysus help us.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

Originally posted by pro_gnostic_8
    And now it's being done by none less than the Lord Mayor. The Grand Marshall for this years Patrick's Day parade is ....................... Dustin the Turkey!

...... Surely there are deserving individuals who could have been considered .................

Exactly what about Socky?? No one ever thinks of Socky!!

On a more serious note its a bit of fun for the kids, thats all the parade is anyway isn't it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭pro_gnostic_8

Originally posted by comet

On a more serious note its a bit of fun for the kids, thats all the parade is anyway isn't it.

Very true. Thing is, though, maybe the organisers should look at the content of the parade to make it more child-friendly. More clowns, face-painters, music, etc, . ............... and less cement trucks.

And, I'm not quite sure if Dustin is the popular icon to children that he (it) once was. I reckon a real live human being (Sean Og O'Hailpin, Keano, etc) would prove to be as good a crowd-puller for the kids as the diminutive turkey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by comet

Balls to the kids, I'm goin to get my picture taken with Dustin the turkey!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Cork is twinned with.... Liverpool

ahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahah

heh heh

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHHAAAAAAA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Originally posted by Kold
    Cork is twinned with.... Liverpool

Let the stabbings begin.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

He said Liverpool, not Limerick.

sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Walter Ego

Originally posted by dahamsta
    He said Liverpool, not Limerick.

sorry

We all know that Limerick is twinned with Sheffield. ( Professional courtesy )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭ClareBear

Ah Dustin is cool :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

thats balls.. Limerick is twinned with Hell :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

thats balls.. Limerick is twinned with Hell

Its twinned with belfast ?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Limerick is twinned with Quimper (France - beautiful city) and Spokane (USA) - see www.limerickcity.ie for details..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement