Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House mates

Options
  • 25-02-2004 11:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭

I live in a house with three others and my bedroom is on the ground floor. The problem is I get along with them really well but they aren't very quiet. As I sleep down stairs I hear nearly everythin esp when they come in drunk and are at their loudiest. I have tried to talk to them about it but then the next week their at it again. As my door as glass in it when someone leaves the lights on in the hall It shines into my room, and I am sick of getting out of bed to knock it off.

I have started to do things like havin my radio up high or slamming my door in the morning (im up and out just after seven) to try and give them an idea how I feel at night. I know thats very childish but has everyone else have anyother ideas. I have even started to look around for a new place. I dont want to move but Im getting very down over it as im not sleeping very well anymore :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Get a full length blind for your door to keep the light out.
    I wouldn't be noisy in the mornings, they'll just resent that and be even noisier when they come home drunk.
    You could always just sit down and have it out with them in a calm manner. Explain how fecked up your sleeping patterns are getting with people coming and going and making noise late at night.
    How often does it happen?
    Maybe hint that its really important that you get a good nights sleep for you job or something and ask them to make a special effort to be quiet late at night. Use the moving out thing as a last resort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Ronika

it'd happens most nights. I have a blind for my door but the hall light is right outside my door and it doesnt block it all. I have mentioned it to them but one of the guys just thinks Im making it up cos just cos he can sleep thru anything. he couldnt even understand how uncomfortable I am when he brings back the girl he seeing and I can hear everything (his bedroom is above mine and she's not quiet), I wouldn't even mind if it is on the weekend but its not. I've always been considerate to the others and id apoligise if I was loud at night but i just feel it's useless now.:(

I have even hinted how loud the echo is in the kitchen and how I can hear it in my room but its seems to fall on deaf ears

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Ask one of them would they mind switching rooms with you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Ronika

I would only my room is the nicest in the house. I even have a working fireplace and theirs plenty of room for my stuff, while the two doubles upstairs- one only has single bed and in much need of a re-dec job while the other room is nice but the wardrobes are in bits and the landlord wont fix them. But thank you for the suggestion, in different circumstances it would be a great idea, let them see what its like to sleep downstairs

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Try fitting a less powerful light bulb in the hall. If that doesn't work, remove / break (tap it with something non-conducting when it's on) light bulb.

Go to pharmacy and spend <€1 on foam ear plugs (I used to live near a fire station).

For the "screamer", try playing some really loud (romantic?) music when they are at it.

Not sure what to do with the drunk. Loud Abba music when he has a hangover?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Originally posted by Ronika
    it'd happens most nights. I have a blind for my door but the hall light is right outside my door and it doesnt block it all... his bedroom is above mine and she's not quiet

Get some black tape and board, and seal up the window that way, so the only light to get through will be around the edge of the door between the frame.

Say something to her on the sly (but nicely) about how you can here her - while he's unlikely to be embarassed she might be.

In the end, though, you do have the nicest room, so you really can't give out too much. A little bit of accomodation on boths sides culd sort it easily

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

If you _really_ want to make a point about the noise, you could record them on tape / minidisc and play that back when yer man's mott is over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Bosco

Just move out. Find nice people who have to get up early during the week like yerself. Anything you say to them short of wielding large sharp objects will only make things worse.

Advertisement