Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog for apartment

Options
  • 25-02-2004 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

Hey I am looking to get a dog I have a ground floor apartment . I am wondering wha kind of dogs are suited to the enviroment I would be able to bring them for good walks every day . Anyone any idea

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Im not a big fan of small dogs, (we always had shepards) but
    i recently got a shiba inu pup, they're small without being toy dogs and our one pretty much housetrained himself straight away, i reckon they might be a good option for an apartment once they're walked plenty. theyre also cute as buttons :D

heres piccies of our nipper

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Hmm, I'm not too sure about this. Apartments can be fairly small, and dogs are generally social animals. Alone all day he might get angry, frustrated or depressed. Do you come home at any point during the day that you can give your doggy a walk? Or do you have a neighbour or friend closeby that can give the pooch some attention during the day? It'll depend on the doggy (and breed!). Some will be better during this alone-time, others won't.

If you do decide to get one, consider an older dog. Puppies need a lot of attention and house training. If he's home alone all day with no one to teach him where to poop, it'll be all over your lovely apartment and furniture.

Bambi, that's such a cute doggy btw! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭rocco

Its a big enough 2 bedroom apartment with no children just me and the girlfriend I had a dog for 13 years at home with the folks .I wouldnt dream of leaving the dog in the apartment all day my plan is to drop it up to my mothers so the dog can ramble round the garden during the day and have some company there is just one cat in the house who never sturs and my mother loves animals so it shouldnt be a problem

Bambi

Question for you firstly the dog is class looking whats there temprement like playfull ,quiet ? and also could you recommend any breaders and whats the price range .

Ta

Sounds grand then, good luck and have fun picking a pooch :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Falkorre

Believe it or not, I HIGHLY recommend Jack Russell Terriers! :) (like the dog on "frasier".
    They are AMAZINGLY clever, have such huge personalities, adapt to *anything*, VERY loyal, VERY obiedient when u put in the training time.

wonderfull mutts ;0)

B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Lovely dog bambi.
    You say you used to have a sheperd? Any pics of him/her

yeah my next door neighbour has one he is great fun he often sees me coming around the corner in my car he is in it before I can get the door open . I really like labrador retrievers as well they have a great temprement .

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I think it is a bit selfish keeping a dog if you are out all day. Imposing on your mother. It will really be your Mother's dog.

I have discussed this with her and she is happy with the arrangment it suits both of us and if u want u could say the dog is a family pet I dont need to go around claiming it to be mine im not a child . Thanks for your comments all the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

I don't see why it shouldn't work out for you. Good luck with it.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Falkorre

Lurk,
    its not ideal, but hey, what is? Besides, ppl do it with their kids all the time, day care.

As long as it gets the love and attention it needs, and isnt out roaming the streets, is healthy and happy, then why not! :)

B

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Originally posted by rocco

Bambi

Question for you firstly the dog is class looking whats there temprement like playfull ,quiet ? and also could you recommend any breaders and whats the price range .

Ta

bearing in mind the points below i'll say this
    a) our previous dogs were shepards, im not used to small breeds (and dont like most small breeds he he )
    b) i havent owned a pup in about 15 years
    c) i only have 5 weeks experience with shibas and counting :D

hes very clean. temperment wise, i looked into this breed as they were described as a big dog in a small package and that seems accurate, he loves to roughhouse, doesnt mind being carried but cant stand being put on peoples lap and isnt overly clingy. Very intelligent and learns quickly ( he learned sit, lie, wait etc in about 10 minutes each) but unlike GS's isnt too hot on obeying orders for the sake of it, especially recalls.

All these appear to be breed traits and all i've read on them suggest that due to their hunting origin most cant be trusted off lead. Also they need to know who the boss is it seems, and this guy deffo likes to see how far he can push his limits, but hes so funny at it you cant be mad at him :D . oh yeah they come in three colour types, the red and white (like a fox) ones are the most common

price wise ive seen pups advertised for 150-450 depending on pedigree I guess, but there arent that many around

Gilly, we had two shepards, the last lad died just before christmas, i'll try post a few scans if i can root out some pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

There was something in the paper yesterday bout a puppy farm being raided & the dogs being taken to shelters. Why dont you try one of them? I'd adopt one but my bf is anti small dogs :(

Hadook, mine's the same :)
    But unfortunately I don't have a huge garden for a big doggy either, and wouldn't want to keep a big dog in smaller areas/spaces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭xm15e3

Originally posted by rocco
    Hey I am looking to get a dog I have a ground floor apartment . I am wondering wha kind of dogs are suited to the enviroment I would be able to bring them for good walks every day . Anyone any idea

Great Dane.

Originally posted by xm15e3
    Great Dane.

That a serious suggestion somehow, or are you just trolling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭xm15e3

Originally posted by koneko
    That a serious suggestion somehow, or are you just trolling?
    A bit of both, I like the irony. From what I understand, Great Danes are one of the few large dogs that do well in apartments. They are very docile, almost lethargic. This wasn't true at the beginning of the 20th century, but the breed has been changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

Originally posted by Dawntreader
    Believe it or not, I HIGHLY recommend Jack Russell Terriers! :) (like the dog on "frasier".
    They are AMAZINGLY clever, have such huge personalities, adapt to *anything*, VERY loyal, VERY obiedient when u put in the training time.

wonderfull mutts ;0)

B

I had one for 15 years until he died a couple of years ago. Best dog EVER. I can't get another one because I don't want to face him dying too:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Small size is no real guide for suitability for appartment living !
    you also have to take energy levels and personality into account.

A great dane, greyhound, whippet or lurcher are often recommended for apartment living, as they are often refered to as 45mph couch potatoes. In otherwords they are quite placid indoors and love to run when outside. Greys and whippets are exceptionally clean dogs - very little hair shedded.

Smaller dogs like westies or collies can be very demanding as they are bread to work and if you do not give them a job they will make up a job instead and you may not like that job (chewing etc.) !

Personally I think that bigger dogs have more personality and atre more self assured.

Advertisement