Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Multiple Driving Test Applications

Options
  • 25-02-2004 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

I have my name down for the test in Naas (60 week waiting list) along with a letter to hopefully speed things up. Thanks to stuff on borads last week about the 8 week wait in Athlone I've thrown in an application for there too. Does anyone know if one application will affect the other? Obviously if I get the first I'll cancel the other, but will the department minions bump me off one of the lists.

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Originally posted by aodh_rua
    Hi guys

I have my name down for the test in Naas (60 week waiting list) along with a letter to hopefully speed things up. Thanks to stuff on borads last week about the 8 week wait in Athlone I've thrown in an application for there too. Does anyone know if one application will affect the other? Obviously if I get the first I'll cancel the other, but will the department minions bump me off one of the lists.

Cheers.

It's your €38. I suppose it would be handy if you failed in athlone you could get your repeat in naas quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I'd be astonished if they'd developed the sophistication to cross check these things TBH

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dwayneburke

good idea though....and athlone is piss easy to drive around

Originally posted by uberwolf
    I'd be astonished if they'd developed the sophistication to cross check these things TBH

Don't you have you give a PPS number to apply for a test?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭robo

A friend of mine checked about this before with the DOE and yeh you can have as many applications sent in as you want, they don't mind or care!

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Bond-James Bond

didn't say they couldn't - it would be trivial to do so. But actually doing so, different story...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭robo

I was going to apply to 2 different centres, just for the handiness if I failed the first, cos I didn't fancy waiting another year!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

You need the PPS for the online version - not for the postal one. I've put one through on each.

Right - the Department have confirmed the receipt of my second application, so hopefully that means both applications have been accepted. Now let's see if Athlone really is 8 weeks - if it is I should get a date in a fortnight or three weeks.

let us know how that goes for you :) the wait more so than the test, but I suppose both ;) good luck

• Advertisement

Originally posted by uberwolf
    let us know how that goes for you :) the wait more so than the test, but I suppose both ;) good luck

Will do.

Other thing that struck me is that you could put in a pile of applications each a fortnight apart, so that if you fail you have a retest soon afterwards, while if you pass you have enough time to cancel and get your money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Would it not just be less hassle to buy a forged licence?

Will do.

Other thing that struck me is that you could put in a pile of applications each a fortnight apart, so that if you fail you have a retest soon afterwards, while if you pass you have enough time to cancel and get your money back.

No money refunded I'm afraid.

No money refunded I'm afraid.

From drivingtest.ie - If you give at least 10 days notice and you have not previously cancelled more than one appointment on foot of this application your test fee will not be forfeited.

'On this application' - hmm each application should be treated separately so as long as you aren't cancelling the same one repeatedly you're probably fine.

From drivingtest.ie - If you give at least 10 days notice and you have not previously cancelled more than one appointment on foot of this application your test fee will not be forfeited.

'On this application' - hmm each application should be treated separately so as long as you aren't cancelling the same one repeatedly you're probably fine.

That just means that, if you cancel your test within 10 days that your test will be reschelduled.

I'm afraid once they have your €38 its tough, no money refunded.

Ah - I see 'not forfeited' as in can be used for another date as opposed to 'not forfeited' you'll get it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Bubblechick

Hi All,
    It's my first post, although I have been lurking for a while. Wanted to reply to this as I have direct experience with this. It was recommended to me (by a garda) to apply for 2 driving tests one week apart. I did this and applied to Finglas test centre. I got 2 dates, one for the first Monday in June and another for the 2nd Monday in June. I sat the first test & passed (TG). That afternoon I rang & cancelled the second test. I asked would the money be refunded to me, and was told that it would be. Took a little while (bout 7-8 weeks), but fee was refunded to my credit card.
    I would recommend applying for 2 tests to anyone, as I was a little less nervous about mine, knowing I would have another chance the following week.

Just my tuppence worth........

R:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Its a great idea but doesn't it just bump up the waiting lists if everybody is on twice?

Originally posted by shoegirl
    Its a great idea but doesn't it just bump up the waiting lists if everybody is on twice?

Not really - if you fail you have to re-apply anyway. It might even open things up a little because if you know that you have another test a few weeks later then maybe the stress might be relieved and you'll pass. You can then cancel the other test opening up a cancellation slot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Bubblechick

Shoegirl,
    While you may be correct that this practice is bumping up the list, I still do not think that it is fair that if you fail one test that you have to wait over one year for your next attempt. Also, providing you cancel in time (i.e at least a couple of days in advance), the test centre will use your slot for a cancellation, so it is still being used....
    Cheers
    BChick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

I applied for my test in Naas, for the simple reason is that I know Naas pretty well. It's a damn disgrace that there is a 60week waiting time. Saying that, i've failed my test twice in Naas.

Once for having a blown bulb on one of the break lights, and I don't want to even mention the second time.

A test is a test, but some people think that those who have past their tests and have a Full Irish are better drivers, than those on Provisional Drivers. The test isn't an advanced driving course.

Advertisement