Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank won't reply to letters

Options
  • 25-02-2004 1:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

My wife wants statements from the mortage company detailing the interest paid for 2003. She needs this to claim tax refunds. Wrote the letter no reply, waited 10 days.

I had noticed that she was not getting her TRS so i contacted the revenue who advised that the bank was getting the money but no credits appeared.

Wrote another letter quering this and that the first letter was not answered. It is now a further 10 days and still no reply.

What can now be done? She can't file her returns and obtain her refund.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Specky

Use phone.

Letters are fine for confirming things but you have no idea what happens to them between you throwing them in the green box on the corner of the street and them being acted upon by their intended recipient.

Just ring them up, get to talk to someone sitting in front of a computer and get them to tell you stuff they see. They can often do things on the spot and if nothing else your call will probably be logged which will give you some point of reference and the evidence that you're doing something.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,372 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If that doesn't get you anywhere, send them a registered letter. Failing that send them a registered letter asking who their solicitors are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Write to the Company Secretary of the bank, at the company's registered office. Explain to him/her that you are being caused grievous hardship by the failure of the bank to meet its statutory obligations. Explain to him that you will be pursuing the bank for restitution, damages, punitive damages, compensation, and consequential loss resulting form the banks failure. Explain to him that you will defer any action for a period of 7 days, and if you have full and final settlement within 7 days then you will take no further action.

He/She (the company secretary) is the legal persona that represents and stands for the company in any legal action. He/She will deal with the issue, post haste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Specky

??

i know the banks can sometimes leave a little to be desired why do people immediately assume that there's some sort of "anti-customer" conspiracy going on?

Honestly, writing to the secretary of the bank is likely to get you as much of a response as writing to the secretary of Ford if your fuel cap is a bit wonkey...

We get mortgage tax certs from the bank every year. We ring them up, they send them out. If they're not doing it then I think it's probably due to some "mechanical" error, not that the bank hates you and has contrived to formulate a plot for your personal inconvenience....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

Specky wrote:
    ...If they're not doing it then I think it's probably due to some "mechanical" error, not that the bank hates you and has contrived to formulate a plot for your personal inconvenience....

If there was a problem with a bank, it wouldn't be a plot for any individuals inconvenience, rather it would be a general plot designed to increase profits. For example AIB often send me statements for two different accounts (which are on the same number line) in the same envelope. This is admirable as it saves the rainforests. However AIB do not print my address on the second statement. So it cannot be usesr as an address verification document within the meaning of the Money Laundering Regulations. So I end up ordering a costley "duplicate" statement from them which does have my address on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Specky wrote:
    Honestly, writing to the secretary of the bank is likely to get you as much of a response as writing to the secretary of Ford if your fuel cap is a bit wonkey...

:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

vector wrote:
    For example AIB often send me statements for two different accounts (which are on the same number line) in the same envelope. This is admirable as it saves the rainforests. However AIB do not print my address on the second statement. So it cannot be usesr as an address verification document within the meaning of the Money Laundering Regulations. So I end up ordering a costley "duplicate" statement from them which does have my address on it.
    So why don't you use the first statement (with your address) as your address verification document?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Specky wrote:
    Honestly, writing to the secretary of the bank is likely to get you as much of a response as writing to the secretary of Ford if your fuel cap is a bit wonkey.
    Fiver says you're wrong. Go for it Bond-007.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

In the end I did write to the secretary and had a response within 3 days!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Excellent!

• Advertisement
Advertisement