Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connoly or Morrisson to Partner Keane???

• 25-02-2004 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Just like to see what every1's opinion is, they can be both as bad as each other on their day, and as a West Ham fan, ive seen connolly alot, a very hard worker off the ball, tireless, prefers the withdrawn role behind the other striker, or Morrisson, an out and out striker who inmho doesnt work hard enough for the ball, who seems to be just coming back into the Birmingham fold again,, suppose it depends what kerr wants, Long ball system wud be ideal for Morrison but that tactic wasnt really employed well against Brazil, thought Connolly at least deserved a 10-15 minute run out last week, any thoughts??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭spudulike

I would partner Duff just off Keane and take morrisson and connolly out to the woods and set them free - they just run around after the ball - my dog has better control...

• Registered Users Posts: 29 BonmahonHammers

Tink he ll keep Duff for Midfield as its fairly light weight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Duff is world class on the left wing. Also the defense usually doubles up on him, creating space for others too. Up front he is good, but I would prefer a strong target man, who can hold up the ball, to partner Robbie Keane
    Thus I think Duff should be played on the left, with Morrison partnering Keane.

X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Morrisson is stronger and much more professional plus he plays in the premiership his performances for ireland and birmingham this week are enough to justify his place alongside keane.

Connolly has been around long enough to show that he`ll never be more than a nationwide division one striker. he cant shoot for sh1t and he wastes too many chances.

The grand canyon could seperate these two strikers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

connolly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Quatre Mains

- The fact that either of these players gets a game shows how limited we are.
    Connolly has done well for West Ham but unless he's getting a regular start in a Premiership side he'll never make the grade. Morrisson is only playing cos Birmingham have probs up front, I don't rate him at all. He's so bad I'm surprised Middlesborough didn't buy him.

10 years ago I hated Niall Quinn but now I wish we had the likes of him in the squad.
    I like the idea of getting Macken in, any more Plastic Paddies out there we could be looking to sign?

Cheers
    Neil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Connolly <he has never really given the chance to prove he can do the job.. >

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

We only ever get scrappy goals, or goals totally created by Duff, why is it we need a second up front?

Why not play Duff behind Keane, and then defend with 8 players :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

We couldn't ask for better defensive options for the next campaign.
    - given,carr,finnan,o'brien,cunningham,dunne,o'shea
    ...great stuff!

Middle of the park lacks bite but up front is where we're most lacking.

Connolly and Morrison just don't cut it for me at international level.
    We do have several options on the wings - Miller,A&S Reid,Kilbane,McAteer -
    none in the class of Duff but as a whole unit playing Duff in a kinda roaming
    striker role with Keane might be more effective than having an ineffective partner
    for Robbie.

Maybe young Morrison will improve with more footbal but for now I'd have more
    confidence in a Keane-Duff partnership with the above wingers available and on form.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭James R

I'd go for Morrison based on current form. He played his best match for Ireland imo vs Brazil and in the Villa v Birmingham game at the weekend he was superb after coming off the bench, getting both Birmingham assists

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

How about playing 4-3-3... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Of the two I believe morrison is the better option if we must go with 2 up front. Connelly is a first division player and can not m,ake the step up. I would rather play keane up witn A.N. Other playing behind him and 4 in midfield

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Connolly and Keane are two similar and never play well together. Connolly is good backup when Keane is injured but for the moment we have to live with Morrison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭watman

Morrison , but i dont rate either of them - He's the best of a bad bunch IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭ether

Gone are the days when the quality of Aldo or even Quinn were available.Cascarino would have been better than either.Its a hard and difficult choice but Morrison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 carl carlson

Connoly???????????????????? Morisson????????????????
    Have we not moved on from such mediocre players who will never aspire to great things . I think the potential of the likes of Trundle and Elliot is too much ignore . We should quit with the likes of Richard Dunne and Gary Doherty and move into an era of skillful and talented players

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

Originally posted by carl carlson
    Connoly???????????????????? Morisson????????????????
    Have we not moved on from such mediocre players who will never aspire to great things . I think the potential of the likes of Trundle and Elliot is too much ignore . We should quit with the likes of Richard Dunne and Gary Doherty and move into an era of skillful and talented players

A great player doesn't neccesarily mean a skillful one. Dunne is talented and has a future with the Irish squad. We don't need dodgy Doherty.

While I agree we need better than Morrison and Connolly the fact is there's not much we can do about it and I'm surprised you talk about the potential of a 3rd division player who's older(27) than both Morrison and Connolly.
    Morrison and Connolly have both had impressive scoring records in the 1st division.
    I'm sure when Morrison was knocking in the goals in the 1st division you would have said his potential is "too much to ignore".

I'm not having a go at Trundle, I like the player, just pointing out that we have 2 polific scorers at first division level in our squad and it's as good as we can get at the moment.

Haven't seen young Elliot yet but look forward to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    Connolly and Keane are two similar and never play well together. Connolly is good backup when Keane is injured but for the moment we have to live with Morrison.

IMO - Keane and Connolly are two different type of players...

Keane has clearly shown this year at Spurs that he a brillant player to play between the forward.. in a free role... just like Larrson does for Celtic

Connolly is more of a fox in the box player..

Advertisement