Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

George Hook Quotes

• 25-02-2004 2:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

As every rugby fan in ireland knows George Hook has a way with words. I have being searching the web for great George Hook quotes and have found a few.
    "You can add Thomond Park to Fatima, Knock and Lourdes. The lame will come here and walk, they'll be selling water here, because this defies logic."

-George Hook after Munster beat Gloucester 33-6 in the European Cup.
    "This would be the greatest achievement ever" Rugby pundit George Hook tells Tom McGurk ahead of the Grand Slam decider between Ireland and England.

"Why ? " McGurk replies.

"Because when our lads defeated the English to win it in 1947 at Ravenhill the opposition had been at war for six years and were unprepared and undernourished. We, on the other hand had been in intensive training and were filled with rashers and sausages. It was a mismatch"
    "It's in Mrs Beeton's cookery book - recipe, chicken soup. First catch your chicken. This team has not caught their chicken since this championship started ; today that chicken has come home to roost. That's why they're in the manure they're in"

On Leinster's defeat by French side Perpignon.

I think they are great!!!

Does anyone have anymore?

:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

He's wonderful. There was a lovely one at halftime last week when he was asked for his opinion of Brian O'Driscoll playing at inside centre
    'For crying out loud, you're putting Shergar where you wouldn't put Royal Tan: over the fences at Aintree. Give him some space to play in.'

Or his comment about (I can't remember, was it Gleeson or Brennan?) 'This lad puts his head where you wouldn't put a blacksmith's anvil'

PS Do you have to be called Homer to post to this thread? :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

He is great!!!
    Do you have to be called Homer to post to this thread?

I'm not sure but it seems to help :p

He has some classics!! but no one seems to be writing them down!!

A little help please boards members :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭revelate

not sure what this one is in relation to...

"what Popey knows about the Isle of Man is about the same as what the Isle of Man knows about Popey"

"they're using statistics in the same way that a drunk uses a lamp-post...to prop himself up"

not-rugby related but great all the same.
    "a journalist in politics is like a eunuch in a brothel..they see what's to be done, they know how to do it, but when the time comes they just can't do it"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 everythinglive

'It's like trying to put your best Ferrari in the middle of St. Stephens Green, there's no space!'

• Advertisement

It's like trying to put your best Ferrari in the middle of St. Stephens Green, there's no space!

I thinks the full qoute was

"Putting Robinson in the centre is like putting a ferrari in stephens green on a friday evening, with the Luas works going on!!!! ... There's just no space!"

Regards Jason Robinson playing at 12 for England Versus Ireland 6th March 2004!!!

Gwan the Ireland!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Fudger

"the trouble with Brent Pope is, he thinks he's Brent Pope"

classic

I'm gonna have to start writing down what George Hooks says, whenever the rubgy is on!! He is classic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Aurther Hugh

"You can add Thomond Park to Fatima, Knock and Lourdes. The lame will come here and walk, they'll be selling water here, because this defies logic."

- RTÉ's George Hook after Munster beat Gloucester 33-6 in the European Cup

Aurther Hugh

did you read the very first post in this thread???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Ballyrandle

This was classic Hook V Pope

'' Using Maggs as a battering ram up the middle is a lot like Popey's face. It's not pretty but it gets the job done.''

Or his comment about (I can't remember, was it Gleeson or Brennan?) 'This lad puts his head where you wouldn't put a blacksmith's anvil'

PS Do you have to be called Homer to post to this thread? :-)

Johnny O'Connor Actually :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

George is great, his radio show can be hilarious at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

As much as he gets up peoples noses.
    His one liners are engraved in us all for all times.
    Outstanding :D

Ire Vs USA today

Humphs kicks the ball from 22 - 22.
    " the ball went so long it should have had its own stewardess" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

also today, after ireland were up by the tryline only to be pushed back half the pitch - "never since the battle of the Somme has so much effort been wasted in getting so few yards"
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,595 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

parasite wrote:
    also today, after ireland were up by the tryline only to be pushed back half the pitch - "never since the battle of the Somme has so much effort been wasted in getting so few yards"
    :rolleyes:

"In losing so many yards" I belive was the end of the quote today. Class!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Nukem wrote:
    Ire Vs USA today

Humphs kicks the ball from 22 - 22.
    " the ball went so long it should have had its own stewardess" :D

I remember this one as "a ball that travels that far should have a stewardess on board"

and the Battle of the Somme one was great as well, though I remember it being a little different as well.

Great stuff!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭spanner

"It goes to show that Dermot MacMurrough was wrong to invite Strongbow in in 1171 or whatever it was."

- George Hook, after Ireland beat rugby world champions England in Twickenham, 2004

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭spanner

George Hook shares his experience of driving the new Ford Focus:

“I have a large ass and a big back side and when they give you these sport seats, they're not meant for fellas with big back sides. It was tight when I sat into i

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

I thought it was "The last time a ball went that far it had a stewardess on board"

Myself and the father nearly wet ourselves when he said that, good ole george is hilarious :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Mungaman

Lads if George didn't spend half the time coming up with all of the above and structured his thought about what was going on maybe just maybe he would make some real calls. I know it makes for good TV but Pope is streaks ahead you may as well turn the sound down he f*&^n winds me up. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

daveirl wrote:

woop... you go girl... :p

The Hooky Monster is the man.. His radio show on newstalk is really good.. good mixture of humour, news, sports etc.. Passes the daily commute very well..

Does anyone remember the 'Hooky's Hooch' sketch he did at one of the 6N games last year i think it was... it was taking the p1ss out of o'driscoll and they way at interviews he's always knocking the powerade into him in front of the cameras for the oul advertising....
    it was a classic... he just had a plastic bottle with 'hookys hooch' written on it in pen... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭DAEDULUS

QUOTE]

I nearly 99% sure that quote was about schalk burger ;)

I hope there will be some in todays match ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭kazzer

"My granny would beat Scotland"

- Georges response when Conor O'Shea argues that South Africa scored 45 points against the Scots today.

• Advertisement

Can someone please tell me what George said about the irish bks @ half-time.Think it was something about water&drawers,was in the pub an missed it :mad:

Advertisement