Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL users unable to post on Boards.ie or use hotmail

• 25-02-2004 4:05pm

Celticfc and Mercury_tilt have asked me to post up that NTL users cannot post on Boardsie for at least the last three days :/

They cant use hotmail either.

Whats going on?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭daramullally

I am having the same problem on NTL too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Mercury_Tilt
    I cannot post here under normal internet browsing conditions... nor use hotmail...
    What do you get if you do a traceroute to www.boards.ie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Traceroute and mail would probably still work but not Web .

At the command prompt type

telnet www.boards.ie 25

You should see the ESMTP service for muppet.boards.ie there. That will eliminate DNS and routing issues from NTL per se.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭pipers

im having the same problems,

Also on NTL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Aw crap, I'm having problems too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

YAYYY Things are workin again!!!

I can now tell the americans to pissoff and check the spam in my hotmail inbox!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭sprogman

Anyone find out what was going on ? Or brave enough to ring NTL Customer Services and wait on hold.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Wh00t, & bout time too. :mad:
    Originally posted by sprogman
    Anyone find out what was going on ? Or brave enough to ring NTL Customer Services and wait on hold.....

Is that bave enough or stupid enough. :rolleyes:

/me can not be held responsible for his actions whilst on a phone to ntl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

i was having problems with hotmail, but not boards. just used the following proxy and all was fine...

address: inktomi2-lee.server.ntl.com
    port: 8080

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭sprogman

Yippie... mine resolved as well - had issues with Hotmail and Yahoo... weird - could logon on to both but couldn't view Message list page.

Anyone find out what was going on ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

had same problems , fixed now tho :D

adam

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

This sounds like the proxy problem on Clicksilver as the same sites seem to have been affected. At least the NTL one seems to be solved:(

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

dub, what ISP you on?
    Yea it was something very odd, on boards I got "no thread specified" on other forums when I clikc submit I would just be return to the index, ebay.com didn't load(ebay.co.uk did, but couldn't go any further) which waws annoying as I had won an item and couldn't pay yer man for the item!!
    well, glad its fixed now. I was convinved it was something my side, and then heard merc had the same problem so we were there blaming punkbuster lol cause that was the only thing we had installed on sunday night just before it happened

dub, what ISP you on?

I am on Clicksilver who apparently use the NTL network to judge from a remark made in the UTV support group. There are other threads on here about the problem which is ongoing and UTV are very slow to address unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

am on Clicksilver who apparently use the NTL network to judge from a remark made in the UTV support group. There are other threads on here about the problem which is ongoing and UTV are very slow to address unfortunately

eh..in utv's defence, i think that was because the server they were referring to was inside NTL's network, so naturally, to get to it, any traffic had to get through the same problems other NTL users were having (no matter what ISP they were on).

<offtopic-ish> but in utv's un-defence (cant think of any other word :dunno: ), clicksilver is completely dead for me tonight :mad: </offtopic-ish>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

can ye still not log into Hotmail on utv?have you tried entering either of the following proxy servers into your web
    browser?

address: 194.46.8.9 port: 3128
    address: 195.218.116.8 port: 3128

can ye still not log into Hotmail on utv?

Using the proxy presents certain problems if you use a router so its a bit of a nuisance. At one time not so long ago it was not necessary to use a proxy so surely it should not be that difficult for UTV to figure out what has changed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Be very careful if you're using that p(r)oxy, not only can you get stuck with not being able to access your router (if you're using one that is), you may also find that your firewall is bypassed.
    eh..in utv's defence, i think that was because the server they were referring to was inside NTL's network, so naturally, to get to it, any traffic had to get through the same problems other NTL users were having (no matter what ISP they were on).

Yes, presumably you're correct, but while the problem was seemingly resolved for NTL users, it hasn't for Clicksilver users. UTV still insist that its a client side issue, and have suggested some ridiculous solutions from a MS knowledgebase article. This despite the fact that that Mac users are reporting the same problems, as well as users with browsers other than IE.

As far as I'm concerned there is no defence for this type of carry on from UTV.

Grumble over.....

• Advertisement

UTV still insist that its a client side issue,

I have tried 2 pcs an i mac and an apple powerbook and two different routers on my clicksilver connection and the proxy issue affects them all so much for a client side issue!!!

Advertisement