Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I Fooking HATE eircom

• 25-02-2004 6:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭

God dammit these pile of ****heads.

I was up till 3 last night working on some projects using good old BB ... my phoneline's not worked for about a month cause of a dispute btw eircom and my parents, they want 160E up front before they'll give us our phoneline back (instead of the usual you-use-it-then-we-charge-you if you know what i mean)

this morning i get up and notice my router's not connected to DSL .. hmm, i ring my dad and he says he's just after paying the bill and been on to eircom to have them re-enable the account fully. he was told "it'll be all on in an hour"

2 hours later i ring up to find out where my BB is :)

i'm told he never rang, he never talked to anyone, he never paid the bill, and the account's still down. well **** you eircom.
    eventually "we" figure out that lo and behold the operator on the other end finds a little note saying he paid on the account. well isnt that a surprise? oh, and i'll mention now that the account was never put down to be reenabled. yay.

60 seconds later i'm told the phone's working and i can go enjoy my new found freedom. so off i go. .... the phone line's working, but the DSL isnt'??

I ring back, and am told that it's not Eircom's fault, it's IOL's, so i ring IOL, where I'm told that my account is fully in order and that I should ring 1901 for a line test and see if there's a problem (er...i have ADSL 2 and a half months, i think my line's ok??)

so i give up and ring Eircom agian. i'm told there that my account was never turned on for DSL again. that i've to pay eircom to setup a new account with them and have my new EircomADSL turned on on my phone.
    wow, i'm so surprised they plugged that

i politely tell her where to go and inform her that i'm with IOl, so she says i should ring them. *sigh* and WHY shoul i ring them?? to setup a new ADSL account with them, so that they can reprocess my details with Eircom so I can connect to the ****ign internet. good god

i get back onto IOL and tell them all that's happened, and I'm told "I'll get a supervisor to ring you back" - and one did! :) Tech Support supervisor rings me and isn't too happy with how i've been treated by eircom, so he goes off to the sales supervisor to see what can be done.

i get a call back from her, and am told that when Eircom "cease" a line, they cut all external connections to it completely .. such as BB. how ****ing nice of them eh? when i got the phone line put back in place, it was on a NEW account number. so i've to reapply for BB! anyway, all I had to do was get my new account number and tell her it and she said she'd try to rush it through as quick as possible - but to expect a 2 week wait *sigh* great news eh?

nothing i can do now but sit back and wait for the damned process to go through, I wonder if I could bill Eircom for the BB that I'm missing out on because of them? ****ing dickheads.

Daniel

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

you'll find it hard to get anything out of eircom to be honest.

and i'm still searching for someone who likes eircom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

"I was up till 3 last night working on some projects using good old BB ... my phoneline's not worked for about a month cause of a dispute btw eircom and my parents, they want 160E up front before they'll give us our phoneline back (instead of the usual you-use-it-then-we-charge-you if you know what i mean)"

In eircom's eyes there probably isn't a dispute, just a customer who isn't paying on time. In business terms, they had every right to cut you off. ESB probably would. NTL certainly would. Why shouldn't eircom?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

Oh I have no dispute about that ... at the moment they own the lines so if the account isn't paid up then they have every right to disconnect me - it's just HOW they go about doing it at the moment that really has me pissed off

As it stands, if you get Broadband, your BB connection is tied into your Eircom connection - it's all managed through your Eircom account number. Now when your Eircom account is "ceased" as it were, your account is closed, and CANNOT be reopened again, so EVERY single connection you had with any company regarding your old eircom details is severed permenantly.

That is, my line was previously being managed by NTL, we have all our phone calls and stuff with them, and BB is with Esat.

When the "cease" took effect, all those connections were lost, and when I got it enabled again (literally no more than 3 hours after the disconnection) BB wasnt working. They create a NEW account for you after a cease. And, quite co-incidentally I might add :), as far as they're concerned, they now bill this house for everything, including all phone calls.

Completely unreasonable way of doing business - if an account is cut off for non-payment of a bill, isn't it reasonable to assume that upon paying said bill that the previous service will be returned? No, not with Eircom, they've quite conveniently managed to divert all money that is supposed to go to another company to themselves, using a tactic that I only noticed because I was on Broadband with another company!

Daniel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by zoro
    if an account is cut off for non-payment of a bill, isn't it reasonable to assume that upon paying said bill that the previous service will be returned? No, not with Eircom

Alright, there was a bit of a mixup on the paying, but I can understand why eircom completely cut you off. Try see it from their point of view. They are not going to reserve ports on the exchange for someone that is not paying the bills

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

i get a call back from her, and am told that when Eircom "cease" a line, they cut all external connections to it completely

Fair 'nuff. Take it up with your Daddy.

• Advertisement

Well I know that I can't expect them to keep my line active if I dont pay the bill. I understand that and Eircom are fully within their rights to terminate the connection .. but it's the manner in which they've done it that really annoys me. Despite the fact that the account is now fully up to date, and is actually in CREDIT as far as I know, they've disabled access to the old account, so a new one has to be setup, which ****s up your connections to other companies, such as IOL or NTL

hughchal: was that sarcasm or a real suggestion? :)

but it's the manner in which they've done it that really annoys me.

Lesson No, 1:

Nobody gives a sh1t what you feel, or why you feel it. You've been on the phone to Eircom, to some faceless person in a bland office who listens to maybe 70 abusive or difficult people a day, people who make complaints and take it personally if the Eircom person can't, for one reason or another, make the complainant's life shine. I'm not saying that you shouldn't be p1ssed off, I'm just saying that your experience is REAL LIFE. Tough eh?

You should write a letter, not email, a letter to Eircom outling your complaint. Then cc it to your local TDs, councillors and anyone else you can think of, who has the clout to tackle the abysmal, gigantic, bureaucratic mire that companies like Eircom have become. Then withdraw your business from Eircom and parade up and down Stephen's Green outside thier office waving placards denouncing their monopoly of line ownership. Then write a letter to each of the institutions who will be BUYING Eircom in the next few months when it floats again, telling them that you think the company they're about to invest in is a pile of sh1te and has no regard whatsoever for their customers. As you're at it, write a letter to Sir Anthony telling him that if he doesn't stop eating rich food, his gout will start acting up again.

Lesson No. 2:

Don't take anything I say seriously today, because I've had about 3 hours sleep and am in the middle of a very long, boring render.

HC

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

if you paid the bill in the first then you would have no hassle you made the issue occur no Eircom. If you dont pay you dont get

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

yea eircom are dickheads
    utv cant change over our phone line from eircom because the account details are wrong( but im with utv BB for almost 3 months now how can I get BB with my acccount details but cant change the phone line!)

seriously ****ed up
    going to ring them and give out **** and threaten with comreg every chance i get.
    I wonder will that speed things yp a bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Zero it sucks about the grief your going through but Eirscum are in the right in this matter.

Your bill wasnt paid and in all fairness Eirscum give a couple of months before sending out warning letters before terminating a line. You talking about 3 to 6 months on this.

When they set up the new line, they set up a new phone line only. If you want adsl on it you need to go through the whole process again of getting adsl enabled on your line again. Just be greatfull you can get it on that line as they dont guarantee a line will take adsl.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Venom
    When they set up the new line, they set up a new phone line only. If you want adsl on it you need to go through the whole process again of getting adsl enabled on your line again. Just be greatfull you can get it on that line as they dont guarantee a line will take adsl.
    They didn't put in a new line - they created a new account, and assigned the existing line to it.

Whatever about not feeling sympathy for zoro, the behaviour of eircom in defaulting all the services to eircom retail services is an abue of a monopoly position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by Ripwave
    Whatever about not feeling sympathy for zoro, the behaviour of eircom in defaulting all the services to eircom retail services is an abue of a monopoly position.

hmm not really sure about that. Again, see it from Eircom's point of view. The customer has not paid the bills, eircom repossess the line. They can do what they please with it. The customer has no claim on what happens to the line now. I suspect it would be the same nomatter what company you rented the line from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by ando
    hmm not really sure about that. Again, see it from Eircom's point of view.
    Eircom only has one point of view. That doesn't make it any less an abuse of a monopoly position.

Ripwave Im not trying to be a wanker towards the guy, just stating the facts.

When a line is terminated due to none payment, you do not nesserly get the same line back even if you get the same phone number.

Any extra's on the line like ADSL have to be reapplied for again.

The line belongs to Eirscum, you the customer only rent it.

Eirscum are as bad at collecting moneys due as they are at everything else, so he or his folks had plenty of time to get the issue sorted out before the line was terminated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Da Man

I changed my phone number after having had i-stream installed but I still used UTV's telephony. Eircom had to reset the carrier select when they did this, but they automatically informed UTV of the changes (and told me they were going to do it) and UTV automatically re-enabled themselves as the carrier. So I think they're quite sensitive to being seen as a wholesaler.

At the time, getting the phone number changed was a major pain in the arse because Biddy over at 1901 got confused about the ADSL and shipped me over to the ADSL section who said nothing to do with me and forwarded me back to 1901 and this went on for a while until I said to next person in the chain: "I want you to deal with the problem, do not forward me to somebody else". And that person reluctantly sorted it out. So I'm not entirely surprised that they mess up dealing with ADSL resellers.

Im not trying to be a wanker towards the guy, just stating the facts. Eirscum are as bad at collecting moneys due as they are at everything else, so he or his folks had plenty of time to get the issue sorted out before the line was terminated.

Venom (and ando):
    I know you're not trying to be a wanker, your reply was worded nicer than some of the others :p And I fully understand and have said a few times now that Eircom were completely in the right in what they did. That is the disconnection. The bill wasn't paid (I didnt even know we owed money for long ... tisn't my line you see :) good old living at home :p) and they withdrew the service. that's fine and dandy, and i've no dispute with that.

What I'm really unhappy about is how they manage their "ceased" line stuff. It's the fact that they just happened to reconnect me to Eircom-only services .. and then proceeded to try to get me to sign up with Eircom ADSL you know?

I think Ripwave is right on that, it really is an abuse of their position, and the two managers in IOL / Esat that I spoke to agreed with that.

All I can hope for now is that my ADSL is re-enabled as soon as possible. This 56K is a joke after you've had better :D

Daniel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

First and foremost, I agree that Eircom is monopolising the market. Its not their fault however that they are allowed to do so. It is the system here. The system here allows them to do so.
    Secondly, when they terminate a line and reconnects it back again, it is considered a new line, not an existing one. The company I work for was ceasing a couple of our phone lines and accidently cancelled our BB line. After 1 month, out of the blue our BB (not with Eircom) suddenly ceased to work. After some investigating, it turn out because Eircom finally cancelled our line. Now, to get our BB, we had to re-register for it and wait about 2 weeks. The thing is, we are an internet based company. How the hell are we going to operate with internet. So we had to use other means of internet service.
    The whole point of my rant is that each company will have their own methods of doing certain things. Although I disagree with their methods, they have the right to do so.

Zero the way Eirscum operate is beyond a joke. To get anything done you need to speak to various different departments and none of them seem to know nor care what the other is doing.

My advice is never to take no as an answer from them and dont be afraid to lose the head with the biddies, its the only thing most of them under stand.

When getting my old phone line setup again I told them I only wanted it for ADSL. Phone line was re set up in about 2 days so I then proceded to get it tested for ADSL. Biddy #1 didnt know what the hell I was talking about and kept trying to correct me then there was no such thing as ADSL and it was ISDN I wanted. Hung up on her and rang and got biddy #2 who told me the no way and no how could my line take ADSL even tho the main house line was able to take ADSL. I lost the plot with her at that point and after calling Eirscum every name under the sun I demanded to speak to a non cretin. At this point I was transfered to a very helpful lady who organised an engineer to test my line and then ring me and let me know what the story was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Ronaldo7

Ye you can all threaten Eircom with comreg as much as you like. They dont give a **** and they will not hurry the situation up.

My advice is never to take no as an answer from them and dont be afraid to lose the head with the biddies, its the only thing most of them under stand.

You poor misguided child.

• Advertisement

*stretches legs*

ah....it's back at last :)

Advertisement