Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2800 & Nf7

Options
  • 25-02-2004 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭

Just bought a ........

2800+ & NF7 V2.0

Upgrading a P4 1.5ghz

I know the NF7 is good for overclocking but I've read that unless the 2800+ was made within the first 49 weeks the multi will be locked, Is this the case ? I presume OC'ing is still posible with the FSB ?

This is my first AMD venture btw

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

It will overclock to a 3200+ with no prob; you really should have bought a 2500+ they overclock to 3200+s really easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

yep, had a 2500+ running as a 3200+ on my nf7 for the past 2 weeks without any hiccups.
    only one option to change in the softmenu part of the bios:)

not too sure about unlocking your 2800. there's something about it in the current issue of pcformat...

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

i was just thinking of buyng the nf7s 2.0 and the 2500 with a plan to overclock it.

What heatsink/fan are you using ? I was gonna go for one of the coolermaster aero 7s.

Fiacha

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Some cheap "Whisper"rock fan and HS combo temps are about 40C Idle 45C load - I have some good case fans on it - two noisy blue LED ones:D, it looks good and it's not hot to the touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I've the same setup, OfflerCrocGod, but I've heard people saying that the NF7/NF7-S misreports CPU core temperatures by a few degrees on the high side. I have a thermal probe stuck under my heatsink and it reads about 38 degrees when the winbond monitor program says about 45.

Of course, I can't vouch for the accuracy of the thermal probe either :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Yea the Abit boards (definetly the NF7's) report the temps between 8-10degree's higher that some of there compeditors boards.......My Asus A7N8X reported temps 8 degree's lower than the NF7-S with the exact same setup.

Im not going to speculate which is the proper reading but there is definetly a difference. Have heard people saying that other boards under state there temps on purpose..... and also that the Nf7 is over stating them....... i just know theres a difference not sure which is in the wrong :) .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Originally posted by COL_LOKI
    Yea the Abit boards (definetly the NF7's) report the temps between 8-10degree's higher that some of there compeditors boards

i'd like to think so but i have a hard time believing my current load temp is 26c :), though i have seen weird 10c jumps in the reported abit temps just from restarts iirc,

Well compare what temps your getting to what people with other boards and crappy coolers are getting !! You have prob the best air cooling you can buy so id be expecting good temps from it...... 26 degree's load is a little crazy all the same :)

This has just been my experience and generally from what ive read on overclocking forums etc. Aparently if you flash your bios this could sort it out....... ie the temps read lower. Personally im happy as i know exactly where i am, and i have reference temps as guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

aye i couldn't be bothered with that bios flashing thingy, sure i've no floppy drive anyway :), i'd rather it over reported by 10c anyway tbh least i know i'm well with in the limits and its happy days in general

Yea me too. Ive flashed the bios on the A7N8X alright but i dont see any reason to do it to the NF7...... she's workin really well for me and i dont mind about the 10degree thing at all :) .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

Its running at about 40 C idle so I think I'll wait till I get a decent heatsink before I start OC'ing. Could do with a new PSU also the voltages dont look great in the bios.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by fiacha
    i was just thinking of buyng the nf7s 2.0 and the 2500 with a plan to overclock it.

What heatsink/fan are you using ? I was gonna go for one of the coolermaster aero 7s.

Fiacha
    oops, forgot about this thread...

using an aero 7 lite.
    the highest i've seen the temp go in the past 2 weeks is 50 degrees... and that was after 3 hours of making an xvid.

i'd say the aero 7 would be a fine choice, copper heatsink & all

Advertisement