Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD issue

Options
  • 25-02-2004 7:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hi
    I was wondering what type of DVD the DVDs that one hires in video shops are.
    DVD+ or DVD- or another type of DVD?
    I was also wondering which kind of burner was better to get: DVD- or DVD+ (as most laptops only support on the the two formats)
    thanks
    Tony

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The DVDs you get in the video shops are a different type of DVD.

DVD-R are the most compatible, although DVD+R is compatible with most dvd players these days. I'd say let the price of the media be your guide. I belive DVD-Rs are cheaper atm, so in that case go for a DVD-R burner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 tonybrasco

thanks for your help.
    what kind of DVD are the ones in shops exactly?
    and can any DVD combo on a laptop read them?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

yea they'll read them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Originally posted by tonybrasco
    thanks for your help.
    what kind of DVD are the ones in shops exactly?
    They are Dual-Layered DVDs basically they can store twice the information of a DVD-R/+R
    and can any DVD combo on a laptop read them?
    I see no reason why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Hi
    I was wondering what type of DVD the DVDs that one hires in video shops are.
    DVD+ or DVD- or another type of DVD?

They are essentially DVD-ROMS, meaning you can only read from them, you can't write to them. They are physically different from any of the recordable types. The binary 1's and 0's making up your movie are physically etched into a surface on the DVD and can't be changed.

The recordable DVD's (whether it is +/-R, RAM, RW, whatever) use a layer of chemical that can be "burned" two ways, to represent 1's and 0's. Some can be changed from a 1 to a 0, and vice versa, some cannot be changed once they are burned (DVR-R).

Any DVD drive on a laptop/PC can read video DVD's, not all can read the various recordable formats. Remember that just because a DVD drive can read the DVD movie disc, doesn't mean it will play the movie - you need DVD player software.

• Advertisement
Advertisement