Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

networking comps

• 25-02-2004 7:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭

hi all
    i trying to network my laptop and my desktop but the just dont seem to be connecting right or something i using a cross over cable (that working ok) i set up my subnet mask to be the same on both comps 255.255.224.0 and the ip address are
    laptop 149.153..130.123
    desktop 149.153.130.124
    i have them on the same workgroup and when i go to my network places i dont see any the shared folders on the other comp..
    when i go
    \\149.153.130.124 i just get the error saying that it not accessable
    any ideas on whats wrong

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

Are you using XP? Go into the TCP/IP advanced settings for the LAN connection on both PCs and make sure NETBIOS is enabled...

also try connecting using \\computername rather than ip..

Make sure you don't have any software firewalls running, ZoneAlarm and such...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Can you ping between the pcs? Are you running any kind of firewall software?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

no firewalls running
    tried \\computername but still no luck
    and the netbios is enabled yea both machines running xp home

Have you tried pinging the other machine? From the desktop go to a command prompt and type ping 149.153.130.123

no cant ping as it gives a
    request timeout error from windows
    and the following from redhat 8
    icmp_seq=12 Destination Host Unreachable

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

PC = 192.168.100.1 /255.255.255.0

Lappy = 192.168.100.2 /255.255.255.0

Restart the PC let it load then restart the lappy while there connected, this should solve the connection issue, also what OS are the machines?

Thanks joePC

joe pc tried that with no luck before i posted the thread
    as said above both machines running xp home but also have redhat 8 on pc

Go to a command prompt on each machine and type "ping localhost". This will make them ping themselves. Are you sure the crossover cable is working?

In XP Home go to Start->Connect To->Show All Connections and double click on your LAN connection to make sure it is active.

yea the loopback has no probs pinging themselves
    and the local area connection is enabled
    yea the crossover is working got it checked with a cable tester and had another two pcs running before this with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Are you in Carlow IT by any chance? The class B network 149.153.0.0 belongs to them.
    Like joe said you should probably use non-routable addresses in the 192.168.* or 10.* ranges for your lan.

• Advertisement

yea in carlow it but i didnt think that having two ip address's in a small network like that would matter bout the address..
    tanx ill try the 192.168 address's like joepc said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭red vex

check to see if they are both sending packets. its quite common for this to happen. just kepp clicking on the workgroup and restarting both pcs

Advertisement