Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

simple prob

Options
  • 25-02-2004 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭

hi all
    i trying to network my laptop and my desktop but the just dont seem to be connecting right or something i using a cross over cable (that working ok) i set up my subnet mask to be the same on both comps 255.255.224.0 and the ip address are
    laptop 149.153..130.123
    desktop 149.153.130.124
    i have them on the same workgroup and when i go to my network places i dont see any the shared folders on the other comp..
    when i go
    \\149.153.130.124 i just get the error saying that it not accessable
    any ideas on whats wrong

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Can you ping - if you can't ping then sort out that before starting to open shared folders.

Turn off firewall etc.
    BTW: Which version of windows ?

use ARP -a in Dos (start - run - cmd) to see if other card is ID'd - if it is listed then proves communication (if not listed - inconclusive)

255.255.224.0 - that is a lot of addresses for a crossover cable :)
    shouldn't make a difference though.

Also can each PC see itself ?
    eg: start \\127.0.0.1 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

no firewalls running
    i using xp home
    cant ping the other pc as it gives a request time out but can ping itself
    can see the desktop on the laptop but cant see the laptop on the desktop but still cant access the desktop from the laptop even though it can be seen

Advertisement