Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oh man help me organise my pc!!! Its a mess!!!

• 25-02-2004 7:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭

I have files everywhere!!! My desktop is covered...its really bugging me!!!

How do i get organised?

Any software or anything? Im too lazy to manually do it all...:rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭jasperok

Well only you knows whats important and whats not so To some extent you cannot avoid a manual cleanup - It is quite satisfying actually!
    Sorry i don't know any software that will do it for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Reformat & install :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

This should help you see what is taking up space, and if it's a waste delete it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Don't be such a lazy git.

Create a few folders e.g. games,music ect and cut and paste your shortcuts in.

It's like a 5 minute job. No excuse for havin a messy desktop.

BloodBath

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,654 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The only icon I have on the desktop is the recycle bin :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Just the bin ya. I like having easy access to my main files. Usually about 10 icons/folders.

Ordered all my stuff anyway unkel. So far all I have is the ram and the monitor. Looking forward to overclocking this baby. Not gonna run it at the overclocked speed. At least not for a while.

BloodBath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Its worth organising your files.

I have nothing on my desktop. Along my taskbar I have programs I use [and also shortcut to My Computer and Network Places]. On the right i have all my Games.

Then I have a nice Downloads folder [16GB] which has 348 folders and 3338 files in it. All arrages into Programs, Games ... etc. then even further going into selective games [Battlefield folder -> Battlefield 1942 folder, Battlefield Vietnam folder and so on and soo forth.] etc.

Also got a Music partition with 288 odd folders. A, B, C ... X, Y, Z. And then bands inside them and then albums inside that. Depending on how many songs of that band etc..

Took ages to initally do but i havent chaged it in years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Icons, pfft.
    Not one on my desktop.

Have a handy pop up menu with my new shell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Do it the half-assed way like me :-)
    Create a new folder on your desktop called "Temp" or something like that and dump all your desktop folders/icons into that. You now have a clean desktop, with just one folder on it :-)
    You still have all the stuff there ready to be sorted out when you could be bothered to do it.

S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭hertz

If you have the room, I would partition unless you havent done so already. Seperate your file types into diff partitions. It avoids any loss of data if you have to re install OS. Also limits viruses.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

When I'm using Windows (win2k) I have my desktop mostly clear apart from the standard desktop shortcuts, a few for important apps and shortcuts to games I'm playing right hand side). I deactivate the Recycle bin so I don't care about it.

I keep a link to all of my frequently used apps on the Taskbar and try to avoid having crap loaded to the tray.

I generally have a folder called "Incoming" on my Desktop for dropping any stuff I put on my PC into. From there it all ends up in C:\Home\ or a subfolder.

Apart from that I just use the desktop as a workspace when I need to have quick access to files for a short time.

That said I don't use Windows much anyway so it's easy to keep it clean. I access most of my files using explore2fs to access /home (and others) on my linux partitions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

Originally posted by Winters
    Its worth organising your files.

I have nothing on my desktop. Along my taskbar I have programs I use [and also shortcut to My Computer and Network Places]. On the right i have all my Games.

Then I have a nice Downloads folder [16GB] which has 348 folders and 3338 files in it. All arrages into Programs, Games ... etc. then even further going into selective games [Battlefield folder -> Battlefield 1942 folder, Battlefield Vietnam folder and so on and soo forth.] etc.

Also got a Music partition with 288 odd folders. A, B, C ... X, Y, Z. And then bands inside them and then albums inside that. Depending on how many songs of that band etc..

Took ages to initally do but i havent chaged it in years.

your the kinda person i love getting into your files on dc hub, all so organised :D

i have about 30 icons on my desktop, pretty much all games and a couple of programs that i use, i like easy access.. bigger resolution could sort out your problem ? i use 1280x1024 and all those icons hardly take up any space

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

Originally posted by Sinecure:

Do it the half-assed way like me :-)
    Create a new folder on your desktop called "Temp" or something like that and dump all your desktop folders/icons
    My hard drive is a royal mess, but my desktop is nice and clean

Some example folders
    c:\temp
    c:\misc
    c:\apps
    c:\dump stuff here
    c:\downloads
    c:\documents and settings\swiss\desktop\temp
    c:\documents and settings\swiss\desktop\programming

c:\old\<stuff from a previous windows install>

c:\old\leechf old\<stuff from another windows install>

Just to play a simple game of quake3...

c:\old\leechf old\games\quake3\quake3.exe

I've been just far too lazy to reformat and reinstall. One of these days I tell ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

Originally posted by unkel
    The only icon I have on the desktop is the recycle bin :)

use tweakxp and get that sucka outta there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭dod

Originally posted by Sinecure

Create a new folder on your desktop called "Temp"
    S.
    Ah. Temp, Test and Trial. The three folders that contain everything you use but can't be arsed putting in the right place.

This should help you see what is taking up space, and if it's a waste delete it.
    That JDiskReport looks pretty cool. Thanks for the pointer OfflerCrocGod. BTW is there some meaning behind "OfflerCrocGod" as a handle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Originally posted by dod
    That JDiskReport looks pretty cool. Thanks for the pointer OfflerCrocGod. BTW is there some meaning behind "OfflerCrocGod" as a handle?
    No prob, the name is a reference to a character in the Discworld books - of which I am a huge fan:D - a weird bit character; he is a God who cannot speak properly because he his a Croc :D <- I love using that smiley and I can't write/say posts/ideas properly so I though it was fitting for me to use that nick. It also sounds cool:D, thanks for asking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

i have icons and shortcuts all over the place, i got donwloads juts stuck on the c drive,
    but i like it that way as i know exactly where everything is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,654 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by whosurpaddy
    use tweakxp and get that sucka outta there

Done :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

I like to have a seperate partition for files (documents, mp3's, downloads, etc. anything that isn't 'installed'), a partition for games, and a partition for windows and general apps. That way I can format my windows partition, reinstall, and have a nice fresh system without having to burn all my files and transfer them back. I use TweakXP to chage the paths Windows uses for my documents and settings, so that they are saved to the other partition.

Advertisement