Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sound problem...

• 25-02-2004 8:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭

I'm using an Aztech PCI 168 sound card ( horrible, i know :( ) and i'm on Windows 98SE.

Recently, i have only been able to hear sound from my right speaker. I've checked the sound mixer and all balances are centred. I also fiddled around with my cables and plugged a pair of earphones into my Speaker Out jack on my sound card to make sure my cables or speakers weren't dead, yet to no avail. I've tried both Speaker Out and Line Out jacks.

I don't know if it's a software problem as Windows is pretty confident that sound is being played through the left channel but it just isn't reaching my speakers. I used a program called Sound Analyzer 2.0 i found on download.com and when i ran a test it played a sound through both channels and i could hear it through both speakers.

Tried removing and reinstalling sound drivers. Problem still persists.

Can anyone give advice? tyvm in advance

- David :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

plug your speakers into the earphone slot in a walkman/cdplayer/mp3 player and see if they work. Then you'll know for certain if its windows or not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

OK, so if the program you downloaded plays through both channels, then you know there is nothing wrong with the speakers.

And so to windows...

Are you sure it's not something simple like the main windows mixer settings being set to the right channel instead of being centered?

Do all sounds (including the windows error sounds etc) only get played through the right channel or is it only what you use Winamp or something like that?

When you say "plugged a pair of earphones into my Speaker Out jack on my sound card to make sure my cables or speakers weren't dead, yet to no avail." what do you mean by "to no avail"? What happened? Did the earphones only play through the right channel too or what?

Well, if some 3rd party program is able to play through both channels, then the windows drivers must be ok. And so, if the sound is affected in normal Windows errors, then I think it must come down to a mixer setting in Windows itself.

Check it out again and let us know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭David-[RLD]-

checked mixer again. all balances are centred.

all sounds including windows sounds get played through the right channel only.
    when i used the earphones the sound was still only heard through the right channel.

i think the sounds are being played through both channels but it might be a problem with my sound card so the sound for the left one might get lost while being run through the card.

if i turn all volumes up really loud and play a song or something i can hear the sound trying to be forced through the left speaker, with loads of crackling and mush...

looks like i might have to buy a new sound card (and get rid of this P.O.S!)

thanks for the help. :)

Advertisement