Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Typing Tutorial for Boards?

Options
  • 25-02-2004 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭

I notice that over on download.com there are a number of typing tutorial programs available for free. My contention is that the lack of proper spelling which irks many boards users, as evidenced by the recent spell check thread, is not as a result of a poster's inability to spell but with their lack of mastery of the keyboard.

Would it be a good idea to have the above link, or something similar, included in the registration mail sent to new users along with the simple suggestion that good spelling, although not mandatory on boards, is appreciated?

Obviously it's not a foolproof solution to the problem but I do think people would take the time to correct their spelling mistakes if they could do so swiftly.

/me waits for someone to point out a spleling mistook in my tops...
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

In my case the problem is sometimes that i type to fast
    but some of the time i just cant spell

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

im just **** at spelling

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

yeah, i mean ffs you spelt shit with four *'s.

GSS LOIKE!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

You mean its not spelt like that ? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Originally posted by User45701
    In my case the problem is sometimes that i type to fast

LOL :D

*edit this was amusing in the ironic sense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

So people make typos/spelling errors. Live with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Typing tutorials ?..

God help me from perfectionists, in an imperfect world :rolleyes:

P. :ninja:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Eh, I am living with it but as I already said my suggestion is following on from the recent spell checker thread which got a lot of thumbs up from people. This is a different solution to the same problem.

And this isn't about the odd typo, it's about the few users who refuse to use the shift, apostrophe, fullstop, comma and return keys, or more likely don't do so because they can't find their way around the keyboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

Originally posted by Earthhorse
    Eh, I am living with it but as I already said my suggestion is following on from the recent spell checker thread which got a lot of thumbs up from people. This is a different solution to the same problem.

And this isn't about the odd typo, it's about the few users who refuse to use the shift, apostrophe, fullstop, comma and return keys, or more likely don't do so because they can't find their way around the keyboard.

in 99% of cases it has nothing to do with mastering the keyboard

they're are alot of reasons for this and a typing tutorial won't solve them.

"doc i think i might be suffering from dyslexia"

"really? try a free typing tutorial from download.com"

:rolleyes:

Actually I imagine most people who suffer from some sort of reading disability would be more concientous of their spelling than the rest of us and doubt they are the people I'm referring to.

I don't think either of us could prove where the majority of poorly spelt posts come from.

I'm still inclined to believe a lot of it is derived from lazyness and that if these people could actually type the quality of their posts would improve. This would help rather than hinder users with reading disabilities as well as those for whom English is not a first language.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

Originally posted by Earthhorse
    Actually I imagine most people who suffer from some sort of reading disability would be more concientous of their spelling than the rest of us and doubt they are the people I'm referring to.

I don't think either of us could prove where the majority of poorly spelt posts come from.

I'm still inclined to believe a lot of it is derived from lazyness and that if these people could actually type the quality of their posts would improve. This would help rather than hinder users with reading disabilities as well as those for whom English is not a first language.

if it was a case of being lazy

why is this lazy person going to sit waiting for a download install said application then spend time going through the tutorial's

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

dunnoidon'tthinkitsreallyneccessaryonboardsandidon'tthinkitwouldworkanywaymostpeoplethinktheycantypewellenoughtogetby
    andthatwordsperminuteandthelikeiisnotimportantaltoughihavetosaythespellingandpuncuationsomepeoplehavereallydoesgetonmynervessometimesimeanreallybasicstuff
    allworkandnoplaymakesjackadullboyallworkandnoplaymakesjackadull
    boyallworkandnoplaymakesjackadullboy
    allworkandnoplaymakesjackadullboyallworkandnoplaymakesjackadullboyallworkandnoplaymakesjackadullboyallworkandnoplaymakesjackadullboy
    allworkandnoplaymakesjackadullboyallworkandnoplaymakesjackadullboyallworkandnoplaymakesjackadullboyallworkandnoplaymakesjackadullboy
    allworkandnoplaymakesjackadullboyallworkandnoplaymakesjackadullboy
    allworkandnoplaymakesjackadullboyallworkandnoplaymakesjackadullboy

They mightn't. It's a case of short term versus long term lazyness. If they've nothing better to do, maybe they'll download and use the typing tutorial for just fifteen minutes a day, because they find using the keyboard frustrating.

The point is, if you encourage it in your culture it might happen. If you don't, it definitely won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

I think users with an average of 2 or more spelling mistakes per post should be banned if they don't have proof of a disability.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

The use of commas like ,this drives me nuts for some reason. It's so common it's just a little ,bit scary.

Advertisement