Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin bus driver not driving with due care

• 25-02-2004 9:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭

Copy below of email I sent to Dublin Bus and to Seamus Brennan.

I yesterday boarded the 33 bus from the quays at 6:00. After the stop before I get off, I pushed the bell and moved to the front of the bus. At this point I noticed that while the driver was accelerating, he had taken his eyes off the road and was reading a text message on his mobile phone. He had his eyes off the road for about 15 seconds.

I certainly feel that in light of the crash caused by Dublin Bus on Saturday that drivers should be taking care whilst driving. I am disgusted that a driver could drive in such a negligent and dangerous manner. This is not the first time I have seen this, but it is the first time I have been driven to complain. Maybe if the unions spent a little bit more time encouraging their drivers to drive with due care rather than encouraging them to line their own pockets a situation such as Saturdays would not have happened. This matter needs to be addressed now, and with utmost diligence if we are not to see a repeat of Saturday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by James Melody
    he had taken his eyes off the road and was reading a text message on his mobile phone. He had his eyes off the road for about 15 seconds.

You see stuff like this regularly on the buses, another common one is when they have The Sun or similar propped up in front of the steering wheel, reading it.

I must prefer to take the train :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Can everyone report all such drivers and not just bus drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

It is easy enough to report a driver like this as you know the bus he was on.

I am sure though I will get a fob off from Dublin Bus...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

I doubt very much you'll be fobbed off. However, its difficult to act on the complaint of a single individual. You would need supporting evidence or testimony, which is fair enough. Otherwise the complaints process would be open to abuse by people with personal grievances against an individual.

I agree totally that such behaviour is dangerous and unacceptable. I also agree with Victor that all such drivers should be reported.

I think your comment about unions are a little unfair. Not that I'm a supporter of unions, but you can't blame them for everything.

Your indirect suggestion that lack of care by drivers is the cause of Saturdays tragedy is totally inappropriate while the investigation is continuing. Unless you know something the rest of us don't, you are, without any evidence, accusing a specific person of causing the deaths of 5 people. I think that in fairness to the driver in question, and in anticipation of the results of the official inquiries, you should reconsider that allegation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Originally posted by Victor
    Can everyone report all such drivers and not just bus drivers.

Yes all drivers should be taken to task for dangerous behaviour. IMO overall the standard of driving from bus drivers is much higher than that of car drivers, just because there was a tragic bus incident does not mean they are suddenly the prime suspects for bad driving.

• Advertisement

I made no such allegation.

The crash on saturday merely highlights the dangers that can happen on the road. In light of this bus drivers have no excuse NOW not to be aware of these dangers.

After Saturdays crash there is no excuse for a driver to be showing such a lack of respect for the lives of others.

In respect to the unions, I have had friends complain about safety issues to Dublin bus and have been told that the "unions won't agree to it".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

I certainly feel that in light of the crash caused by Dublin Bus on Saturday that drivers should be taking care whilst driving. I am disgusted that a driver could drive in such a negligent and dangerous manner. This is not the first time I have seen this, but it is the first time I have been driven to complain. Maybe if the unions spent a little bit more time encouraging their drivers to drive with due care rather than encouraging them to line their own pockets a situation such as Saturdays would not have happened. This matter needs to be addressed now, and with utmost diligence if we are not to see a repeat of Saturday.

The suggestion that the drivers and unions labour relations policies are in any way to blame for that incident is offensive and completely without foundation, as is the conclusion you make that DB caused the crash, leave such conclusions to the investigating authorities.

The crash on saturday WAS caused by Dublin Bus...what else do you think caused it? As far as I know one bus hit a second bus...

I don't think that requires an investigation.

And I am sorry if I caused offence, but I find the idea of having my life put at risk because some driver decides he would rather play with his phone than watch the road to be offensive.

The crash on saturday WAS caused by Dublin Bus
    While Dublin Bus certainly contributed to the crash, I am not certain they are 100% to blame if you take a look at http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&postid=1427294 you will see that the bus lane "magincally" disappears just before where the accident happened. Not only that, but the bus stop also disappears. Potentially this made an otherwise minor incident into the one it became.

Maybe if the unions spent a little bit more time encouraging their drivers to drive with due care rather than encouraging them to line their own pockets a situation such as Saturdays would not have happened.

James, I'm sure you didn't intend it as such, but the above quote IS an indirect allegation that the driver caused the accident. Not only that, you are suggesting (again indirectly) that this was an 'accident waiting to happen' as a result of greed.

Obviously, as the tragedy was the result of a Dublin Bus vehicle running out of control, nobody is disputing the companys liability in the incident. That's very different to blaming individuals.

• Advertisement

I think people are reading the wrong meaning into my post.

The point I was trying to make is that a serious crash occurred on saturday. FACT

This involved 2 buses from Dublin bus colliding. FACT

This may or may not have been caused by a lack of care on the part of a driver.

But the driver in question yesterday, in light of these facts should most certainly have been taking care - not playing with his phone. I would quite happily stand in a court of law and give testemony that I saw him doing this.

As regards the unions, I from personal experience have noticed a lack of care from more than one driver while driving. Like etho I have seen many of them reading at the wheel. I feel that these issues are of more importance than a payrise for the drivers. And I feel that in the light of current strike action, this should be looked at before the begging tin is passed around.

I think people are reading the wrong meaning into my post.

The point I was trying to make is that a serious crash occurred on saturday. FACT

This may or may not have been caused by a lack of care on the part of a driver.

But the driver in question yesterday, in light of these facts should most certainly have been taking care - not playing with his phone. I would quite happily stand in a court of law and give testemony that I saw him doing this.

As regards the unions, I from personal experience have noticed a lack of care from more than one driver while driving. Like etho I have seen many of them reading at the wheel. I feel that these issues are of more importance than a payrise for the drivers. And I feel that in the light of current strike action, this should be looked at before the begging tin is passed around.

We're reading what you SAID, which isn't necessarily what you meant.

Why are you creating a link between union negotiations and careless driving? I don't see one.

FYI, the current industrial unrest at CIE is not to do with pay. It is to do with the future direction of public transport in Ireland.

Actually I'm not 100% sure they did collide as there appeared to be no damage to the front or right side of the out of service bus.

Sarsfield, before pointing out what I SAID it would help if you READ what I posted.

The point made about the unions starts with the word MAYBE...it is not a statement of fact merely an opinion.

The only driver I have accused of driving in a negligent manner was the driver I had yesterday, and I stand by that allegation.

If this thread gets out of hand it will be locked and slaps will be given.

Well can we go BACK on topic then....

The point is drivers in the light of Saturdays crash not driving with due care...

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭brian_ire

i've read james melody's post serveral times no and i can't understand where sarsfield and john r are coming from. From my reading of it james was simply making the point that saftey should be Dublin Bus's priority at a time when such a high profile crash has occured
    The suggestion that the drivers and unions labour relations policies are in any way to blame for that incident is offensive and completely without foundation, as is the conclusion you make that DB caused the crash, leave such conclusions to the investigating authorities

No where does it say that John R. For some reason in this day and age nobody can make a fair point without the PC posse taking it the wrong way.

When you pay your money to board a bus (or any form of public transport) you expect safety to be paramount. IMO thats the point James was making and i agree totally with him.

Thank you Brian_ire I though I had suddenly started speaking a different language to everyone else

Originally posted by brian_ire
    [BFrom my reading of it james was simply making the point that saftey should be Dublin Bus's priority at a time when such a high profile crash has occured [/B]

It was the reference to "drive with due care rather than encouraging them to line their own pockets" that particularly upset me.

Using the word "maybe" isn't a licence to say anything you like about people.

I'll leave it at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Maybe if the unions spent a little bit more time encouraging their drivers to drive with due care rather than encouraging them to line their own pockets a situation such as Saturdays would not have happened.

Again, this quote can hardly be of any assistance to your letter. It generally helps when making a complaint to stick to the facts and not include sarcasm. It's more likely to help people take your mail slightly more seriously.

• Advertisement
Advertisement