Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB2.0 prob under XP

Options
  • 25-02-2004 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

I have an Asus A7V8X-MX MB with a via chipset running Xp-pro with sp1 built in. All my usb1.1 devices will work all the time but Xp refuses to recognize my USB 2.0 device even though my board supports USB2.0 , which I have tried on other machines and work flawlessly. From looking around the web I am not the only one with a via chipset MB having trouble with USB’s while running XP.
    The problem seems to start because Xp-sp1has a usb2.0 driver built in and most board manufacturer’s seem reluctant on releasing their own. IT seems to all stem from the “standard enhanced pci-usb host controller” under USB controllers in device manager. From what I can see some people have managed to get an usb2.0 driver for their via chipset from their board maker and when installed changes the standard enhanced to a via enhanced and solves alot of USB problems under Xp.
    Has anyone here experienced this and have any thoughts on it or even better have a direct link to usb2.0 driver that will work with an asus board as I have emailed them and got very poor response so far and hunted high and low on their download section and found nothing

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

hmmm
    Control Panel >> System >> hardware >> Device Manager >> USB >> Update Drivers, Install Automatically

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

But there is nothing to install, because as far as Xp is concerned the best drivers are in place.What I think I need(unless someone knows better)is a usb2.0 driver for a via chipset(which seems a rarity) as the one that comes with xp is causing probs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

have ya tried www.driverguide.com - I've found them pretty good for wierd drivers....

yeah its not as if via have a realy really popular website for there 4in1`s

http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=298#windows2

and here [4in1] http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=300

Not yet but generally I find they just have links to the makers own site,and the problem I am having at the mo is if Asus have there own usb2.0 driver for Xp they are keeping it a secert as I just got the usual links for there download page.I have emailed them back asking them for a direct url but no response yet0
    Thks anyway

• Advertisement

Possibly you would like me to install it for you, i dont think i can do anymore, have you got the via4in1s installed, what are you talking about vendors for??

Its a VIA chipset, hence you use there drivers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Some of these boards require you install sp1 and the via drivers in a particular order.

Originally posted by bazH
    Possibly you would like me to install it for you, i dont think i can do anymore, have you got the via4in1s installed, what are you talking about vendors for??

Its a VIA chipset, hence you use there drivers

IF I thought it would help I just might.I have got all the latest 4in1's-bios etc installed and the reason I am talking about vendors is because if you noticed on vai's site from that link you sent me they say something about "due to licenceing all usb2.0 drives are supplied in sp1 which is what is causing the problem.But from looking around the web I have noticed some other vendors have done their own but not Asus.

Have you the windows update patch for USB installed (its post XP SP1)?

Tried that one but no luck unfortunately (WindowsXP-KB822603-x86-ENU.exe)

• Advertisement

A friend had a problem with a Dell workstation and the only way we resolved it was by reinstalling Windows XP. On the 3rd time installation it finally worked. Couldn't explain why. I have had some issues with USB devices myself.

Have done two so far and getting a bit tired.IF it was only one usb device I would normally get another brand but it seems to be across the board.I think I will keep searching for non Ms usb2 driver

I had problems with some of the nForce2 boards I've used but none with any intel systems. Its one of the reasons I've switched back to a P4 system. I think though that some USB chipsets aren't as robust as others. I have a cheap external HD box and it doesn't always connect, whereas my camera and usb flash drive connect everytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Originally posted by cubix
    I think I will keep searching for non Ms usb2 driver
    No such thing I'm afraid Microsoft wont allow it - you afto get your USB2.0 drivers for WinXP from Microsoft Update/Website or no deal. It's disgusting and it's one of the reasons I will be sticking with Win2k until I feel Linux supports all my needs(getting VERY close end of year/next year should be able to fully move over). Get Win2k and dump WinXP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

errr. no offense...but isnt not trying the via 4in1 drivers just a teensy weensy bit bloody minded???

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

Originally posted by OfflerCrocGod
    No such thing I'm afraid Microsoft wont allow it - you afto get your USB2.0 drivers for WinXP from Microsoft Update/Website or no deal. It's disgusting and it's one of the reasons I will be sticking with Win2k until I feel Linux supports all my needs(getting VERY close end of year/next year should be able to fully move over). Get Win2k and dump WinXP.

This rings a bell

I had a simlar problem with an ABIT KT400 board - the ABIT drivers supplied with board didn't enable USB2 and you cannot get the USB2 drivers from VIA because Microsoft don't allow it. Vias 4in1 (now called hyperion I think) don't include USB2.

Anyway to cut a long story short I managed to download the appropriate USB2 driver from another motherboard manufacturer who was using the same Via chip and it worked. I can check out which Mobo manufacturer I used when I get home but I suspect it was MSI.

With that board don't you install the NForce2 chipset drivers not the 4in1's?

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    With that board don't you install the NForce2 chipset drivers not the 4in1's?

Nope the Asus is a Via board using the KM400

Asus A7V8X-MX

In fact it probably uses the same USB2 driver as my KT400 board - I'll check if I still have the driver when I get home later. By the way I checked MSI's website and they don't include USB2 drivers for windows XP - they helpfully refer you to Microsoft. Nevertheless I did get them from somewhere.

No offence taken secret_squirrel,if I did not mention it before I have updated with every latest driver I could find(bios/4in1's)even tried flashing back to earlier bios's to see if that made a difference but no luck.
    OfflerCrocGod your spot on when you say MS wont allow anyone else mess with their usb2.0 drivers as that is the response I got from asus but on the win2k point I nearly sure Asus point you in the direction of MS as well.
    Mad Mike any links are most welcome,I managed to download via "host controller" drivers from gigabyte for my chipset VT-8235 and while it changed one of the two ehanced pci-usb host controller to a via still none of the usb ports would work for a usb2.0 device.
    I will try re-installing Xp again and probably also install ME to dual boot when I need to use a USB2.0.Either way lads thanks for all your input..........

OK my Aopen AK-77-8XN uses the Via KT400 and the same Via 8235 as your board. There is a good chance my USB 2 drivers will work for you. I got them from MSI but they seem to have removed them and now just refer you to Microsoft. Maybe it was a mistake for them to offer them but anyway here they are:

http://members.boards.ie/madmike/

Please note the drivers are for USB2 on an MSI KT4. There is also a via patch there. As far as I can recall the Via patch just changes the label in device manager from something like "enhanced USB" to USB 2".

These worked for me (I had to force them in) but they obviously come with no guarantees.

• Advertisement

No luck with those drivers,just wondering what exactly did you update in the usb section of device manager with that usb2.0 driver just in case I am doing something wrong.Not sure how to capture device manager's screen to show you what I have

OK Cubix the memory is a bit hazy . I tried to uninstall the drivers to see if I could retrace my steps but windows finds them again automatically. To the best of my recollection there was an obviously uninstalled USB device and I just forced that to use the USB2.inf driver file.

One thought - if you aren't getting any uninstalled devices - are you sure you have enabled USB2 in the BIOS? You probably have to press delete on boot up to enter bios setup and then look under integrated peripherals to make sure USB2 is enabled.

I did a bit of poking around to see what I could determine about the drivers. Under device manager I have 7 devices listed under the heading "USB Serial bus controllers":

3xVia rev 5 or later USB universal host controller (these appear to be USB1)
    3 x USB root hub (these appear to be USB2)
    1 x USB2 root hub
    1 x USB2 Enhanced host controller (when I uninstall this all of the USB2 devices dissapear)

The curious thing is that when I check the installed driver files for the USB2 devices (under driver properties) the files all seem to come from the Windows SP1 servicepack - do I don't know why I had to force install them originally.

As far as I know Mad Mike there is nothing in the A7V8X-MX bios to enable usb2 but will check again.Either way thanks again for all your help

Advertisement