Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This is getting Ridiculous

Options
  • 06-12-2000 11:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭

I'm still haveing serious fps prob's in q3.
    I've got a p3 500, 128 ram, 16meg diamond Viper TNT
    i used to get over 90 steady but i'm getting a adverage on 30-40 fps in fights now.
    and 15-20 fps in fights on maps like mexx1 and most ctf maps (bigger rooms)
    I've tryed reinstalling windows and updating my graphic card drivers.

Is there anything esle that might be the problem?
    Or anything else i can try?

Narf!
    Clan Acid
    Clan Bio

[This message has been edited by havok* (edited 06-12-2000).]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

Yeah, get a decent graphics card =)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Vorosha

i have win98, p3 500, 128mbs RAM and a 32mb TNT2 and I'm getting the same problem. so now help me, chubby you smarty pants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

Havok,

Recently I HAD a similar setup. I found I was having similar problems too. After alot of investigation and messing about, upgrading this and that, its really down to both your video card and/or processor.

With a p3 500 (like i had) and a geforce2 I would at least get 100fps but it would drop to 60/80. I noticed my processor was being utilized for both the game and the TA (plus whatever else) and to bring the fps up, I actually upgraded my motherboard and chipset. Now I get an impressive 272 in timedemo 1 and it NEVER falls below 150 fps (except on mexx1 which is 130ish). It even goes up to 450+ fps in games if you look at a wall (err why?)!

Its a bit disgracefull to have to go and spend alot of cash for those kinda fps, but there you go. If you just wanna do it on the cheap a geforce2 is your only man.

[This message has been edited by MindPhuck (edited 06-12-2000).]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

What Driver set are you using for the TNT. Maybe it isn't handling newer drivers the way you would like. Maybe try use older drivers specifically for the tnt1 ???

Redesigned

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

Elpres's machine has ( had) a p3 500 and a tnt2. At low detail, which i presume havok is running at, there is no difference in quake3 between a tnt1 and a tnt2. His machine gets about 60-70 on average, maybe 80-100 average in a duel, but never really below 50 in a war. He would regard this as pants, but its still a lot better than what neil here is getting. He would be happy enough with 60-70 fps like, as its a damn sight better than 15-20 fps. I think its either windows completely messed up, which would need a reinstall, after deleting the windows directory so its starting fresh. Or it could be a virus, which I have actually heard of ruining fps. (ask podgeen) It also could be a new expansion card installed recently, which is causing an irq conflict, and causing the cpu to be under strain constantly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭creative

Not sure if this will help much but i was having problems with other devices in my machine hogging resources. I tried running quake at a higher CPU priority....to do this at the run comand "start realtime c:\quake3\quake3.exe"

worked for me...it may have something to do with me using a dual processor ..i dunno

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

I have a P3 600, 128 Megs of RAM, 32 meg TNT2 card (PCI - Gah).

I used to get 90 FPS solid, and one day, it went to poo. 40 FPS at best. Tried everything, new drivers, new Win98 install, blah blah blah.

Went into Quake 3, and set Q3 video setting to fastest. Tweaked it a bit, and then started the game. Problem went away. I have very little idea why.

Can't hurt to try it.

Hail To The King, Baby.

Jaden.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Sonic

cih was the cuase of podgeens, but hes got similar problems now and we cant figure it out

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

"put it in the back of the car and drive" - Sonic (tm)

smile.gif

Advertisement