Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod Courtesy

Options
  • 26-02-2004 2:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭

I know its up to the individual mod, but surely some kinda quick "im closing this cos u did ****" explaination isnt too much to ask? Most of us do it, why is it that some can get away with not.

I just had a thread closed by slosh an i truly have no earthly idea why, an course, he went offline b4 answering my thread, so whatever the hell iv done, i have to wait god knows how long to fix :rolleyes:

If i knew *why* it had happened, or even been given a oppertunity to fix whatever the problem was I would have, immediately. And now I wouldnt be fuming.

there has to be a better way.

B
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Have you tried boards pm feature?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

maybe mods could PM the 'culprit' with what they did wrong/against the rules... although posting a reason on the thread before closing it would probably be easier for the mod, and you could say it would allow other to see the error and perhaps avoid it themselves.

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Woah Woah Woah lets not get carried away there amp!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I always post a reply in the thread if I have to lock/move it.

John

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Heh, did Hilter say to the Jews:

"Whoa! Sorry folks, I'm just going to have to close your race down because you didn't read the charter." ?

It seems to work along the same lines in here sometimes. Not that I've had a thread closed on me or anything, nor have anything to complain about.

Just another pre-going-to-bed-rant post... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I think Hitler might have tried to close the race down without even having written a charter

Mind you, he did write a very rambling book.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Originally posted by sceptre
    I think Hitler might have tried to close the race down without even having written a charter

Mind you, he did write a very rambling book.
    Have you ever read DeVore's journal?! :p
    "Mein Kampf" = "My Struggle"

Aahhh, and so it all fits into place...
    Dev?!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Originally posted by Dawntreader
    I know its up to the individual mod, but surely some kinda quick "im closing this cos u did ****" explaination isnt too much to ask

tis normal to let the person know through PM or a comment on the thread
    perhaps something happened?
    he got called away from his puter
    his boss arrived
    his puter crashed
    he meant to, but forgot
    lightening
    girlfriend had enough and pulled his tinternet connection
    his dinner was ready and his ma hates to be kept waiting
    dog ate his mouse

so many reasons.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Slosh posted this , where he politely says "Sorry dude but you've got to read the charter".

Now if you read the charter it will tell you why the thread got locked. For Sale is a very busy forum and the mods there do a lot of work for nothing, so I'd say the onus is on you to be courteous and read the charter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Originally posted by Sinecure
    Heh, did Hilter say to the Jews:

"Whoa! Sorry folks, I'm just going to have to close your race down because you didn't read the charter." ?

It seems to work along the same lines in here sometimes. Not that I've had a thread closed on me or anything, nor have anything to complain about.

Worst comparison ever.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yeah, considering I have two good friends who lost family and friends respectively to Mr Hitler ... have to say I'm not wild about joking comparisions to him.

This is where you post if you think you're post shouldnt have been banned. PM'ing the mods is another option. Some mods have time (and run boards where its a lot less common to close threads and ban people etc)... I dont insist that everyone explain everything , particularly if its clear in the charter. We are all busy people and it might not take 10 minutes to debate it with you but if you are making 10 mod decisions a day (like for example, soccer and politics)... Gandalf would need payment from me to be a mod...

And lets face it, most people will argue for a lot longer then 10 minutes about a ban or a deletion.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Falkorre

Originally posted by amp
    Now if you read the charter it will tell you why the thread got locked. For Sale is a very busy forum and the mods there do a lot of work for nothing, so I'd say the onus is on you to be courteous and read the charter.

Amp, i have read it. many many many times I have read it, and i still cant see what hes on about, can u? truly? coz all i want is to know why. Thats what i said in my first post.

Im not even suggesting a mode enters into a debate, all im askin is purely politeness i think, just saying "thread closed due to ***" is not too much to ask, instead of what amounts basically to "guess why im closing this"

B

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Maybe you weren't trying to sell it? in the strictest sense. As a consequnce you didn't fill out the nessacary sections for price and stuff. Thats my guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

My guess would be that its better suited for trading or somesuch.

maybe, but my point is, if that *is* the case, surely its better to ask me to re post it there, or move it. instead of a blanket unexplained lock?

B

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Surely it's best if you pm the mod in question.

edit - apologies for calling you Shirley.

But, surely your post hasn't been deleted so people can still see it therefore you have no real worries to have about your product being seen by possible exchangers hence in fact this understood problem could most likely in any case wait until the stated mod 'Slosh' is back on the computer that he/she used when in fact lockage was created.

Surely?

did do gordo, cpl mins after he locked it (we were both on same time), he was on for 20 mins or so after i pm'd him and maybe he didnt see it then *shrug*

yeah but problem is in the meanwhile, no one can post in it, which means in hours it can end up 5 screens (pages) back where no one looks.

he aint been on since, so i pm'd keeks, im sure one or the other will reply soon...

I think some people are picking me up wrong here........ My problem is not that he closed the thread, my "problem" is that I have no idea WHY he did. My "problem" is that I dont think, a simple "thread closed due to ***" is too much to ask, no ones suggesting anyones has to debate anything, no ones denying the fs mods are one of the busiest on here, all im saying is these annoying "debates" are often caused by what i see as a lack of common courtesy.

in other words, ok, close the thread, but at least let me know why so i can put it elsewhere or change whatever ****up i may have made, i mean who here dosent make a mistake?
    As mods, saying "im doing this, and why shud i explain myself" is not gonna make u popular is it?

B

Just got a pm from slosh,
    apparently, turns out, reason was that swaps are not allowed in for sale board (as a matter of interests in case anyones wondering, swaps are carried out there and in the phone forum all the time, so maybe this is a new rule? funny, i dont see ANYTHING saying "no swapping" in the big ole charter he suggested i read again,

*sigh* Surely putting "swap" into the Guideline price section as i did, is just as valid as a number?), coz according to the trading forum they only want books, games, dvd's, and music there, anything else has to be "specially agreed".

sent slosh back a msg saying ill include a price too, an havent heard back yet. So hopefully, ill put a price in there (even tho im not really looking for the cash), and all will be fine again :)

(would have done it within mins had he asked me to b4 closing the thread, instead of closing it so i cant change it now, dont make much sense imho) *shrug*

B

Advertisement