Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

who here mixes???

• 26-02-2004 4:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭

???

anyone interested in getting a boards dj competition going???

everyone post a mix and then everyone download and judge them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

me, but no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

why on earth not??? are you nervous of having to listen to umpteen prgressive-deep-hard-trance mixes???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Most of us mix but due to different music tastes it might be quite hard to judge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Originally posted by [cm]tyranny
    why on earth not??? are you nervous of having to listen to umpteen prgressive-deep-hard-trance mixes???

dont have the time to do a mix

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Most of us mix but due to different music tastes it might be quite hard to judge.
    True but it would still be fun... I'd really like to hear other peoples stuff, and possibly get some feeback on mine...
    I did one yesterday that is ok, but it is currently in 15 seperate wav files. Any idea the best way to put i into one file for a streaming download?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

its a bit tedious, but copy & pasting within sound forge, or whatever you use for wav editing, would be one way of doing it.
    i'm sure googling for "wav joiner" or somesuch would yield results...

Originally posted by Ste-

whether or not you know or like the tunes you can still listen to a mix and hear if whoever did it knows what theyre doing... clanging, pitch wobbles etc are pretty notiveable no matter what the genre.... i always just press record anytime i'm mixing, i have my decks rigged up to my pc and going though steinberg clean [great piece of software, recommend it, it lets you record mixes straight to your harddrive and it lets you process them too like declicking etc.]

I know what you mean but I find listening to some genres of dance slightly boring and as such my judgement can be clouded because I don't like the style of music.

I have mine rigged up to the pc too. Through a sound blaster live platinum 5.1 with live drive. Using Creative Recorder to record the mixes. Don't bother with declicking just make sure the levels are right before recording.

Haven't done a proper mix in months and decks are in desperate need of a clean and haven't bought tunes in ages aswell.

Feel free to post any of your mixes for people to judge tho.
    If you have no web space I'm sure some people would gladly host them for you.
    All you need to do is ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭bobbyjoe

Just got a copy of Sonic Foundry Acid been messing with it easy to use.
    Don't know much about music software is it any good?

Got a copy of Reason too but haven't gotten around to figuring out how to use it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Originally posted by tman
    its a bit tedious, but copy & pasting within sound forge, or whatever you use for wav editing, would be one way of doing it.

Yeah that should be no probs, but what about compressing and putting ino a file that can be streamed as well as downloaded... any recommendations?

• Advertisement

Streamings the easy part.
    My suggestion would be .mp3 or if your server dosn't allow it use real media. Alot of people don't like Realplayer but I've never had any problems with it.
    Just make sure you don't encode it too low a bitrate and not too high so people on 56k can still stream it.

If you need any further info post back and I'll try and help.

mp3 should be ok, and I also have no problem with RealPlayer, but what is the Windows Media Player version and is it any good? What bitrate is best, i would prefer to use a slightly heigher bitrate as having to listen to bad quality music is one of my pet hates...

If you can post back with some help I'd appreciate it...

Did it - easy. Found a program called "Mp3 Cutter and Joiner" which worked like a charm. Then used "All To Real Converter" to encode into .rm which was also very simple. I recorded it at 64kps, - I though it would have sounded crappy but itsactually good quality. The file is 36mb, so not sure if this is to big for dial up - mix is 75 minutes.

I'm going to try uploadng this mix now, but I think my crappy hosting has a max only 20mb (well you get what you pay for - and it was free...) Anyone know where I can host large files free?

OK so I went and got a free hosting account with ProHosting. I uploaded the mix to http://fire.prohosting.com/zasscar/monster.rm (you have to click on another link) but it just downloads the file - how do I get it to stream? Anyone?

Create a new text file, enter the mix link then save and rename to mix.ram upload and point your browser to it.

Cheers, tried that but it won't work cause of the crappy hosting I ahev. Click on the link above - it brings you to a page with ads - wiht a link to the file. But I cannot get it to point to just the file... any ideas?

You won't solve it. It's the hosts i.e. the way they have it setup.
    My advice would be to buy webspace.
    It's true when they say "you get what you pay for" and "there's no such thing as a free lunch".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Derek B

Alright lads, I'd be on for this, whoever suggested it. Thing is, I have no idea how to record my mix to a pc. What wires do I need to connect my mixer to the computer, and what programs would be the best for recording, and where would I get them?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Derek, what sort of mixer do you have?
    does your mixer have "rec out" on the back?

It's a fairly old Numark one, not too sure of model number. Don't think it's available any more. It'd be a bit like the DM2000X, only in black, and without toggle, send, and transform buttons. I'll have a look tonight and see if it has 'rec out' on it.

• Advertisement

OK I can't get this mix to steam, but for anyone on broadband it will not take very long to download: http://fire.prohosting.com/zasscar/monster.rm - I would appreciate any constructive criticism on it...
    Pelase note: I'm not an actual DJ... I mix MP3's with a program called Atomix MP3. It works almost exactly like decks do, apart from 1: Your using a mouse, not a mixer; and 2: I can't monitor the song in headphones before mixing it. All this aside its a great program and I would highly recommend it to anyone...

Bob Sinclair - Bisou Sucre
    Brancaccio & Ashier - Its gonna be a loely day
    Chocolate Puma - A Star is Born
    Soul Rebels - The Revolution will not be Televised.
    Milk and Sugar - Let the Sunshine In
    Kid Creme Presents the Monkey Boi Rascal - Everybody
    Shakedown - At Night
    Ritmo Dynamic - Calinda
    Lee Cabrera - Shake It
    David Guetta - Just a little More Love
    Deepest Blue - Deepest Blue
    Roland Clark - President House
    DJ Gregory - Tropical Soundclash
    DJ Oliver - I Wanna Feel
    Groove Armada - Superstylin'

Enjoy!

Originally posted by Derek B
    It's a fairly old Numark one, not too sure of model number. Don't think it's available any more. It'd be a bit like the DM2000X, only in black, and without toggle, send, and transform buttons. I'll have a look tonight and see if it has 'rec out' on it.
    it may be called something along the lines of 'tape out' or 'line out' as well...

like Zascar i've been using mp3 mixing progs, alcatech bpm studio 4.7 was my favourite until recently, when the full version failed to work on my new pc (which i'd gone to the lengths of buying a second soundcard for just so i could use a set of cans:( )
    i'm stuck using the demo for now...
    (i'm taking it that you meant atomix, Zascar. in which case i'm downloading that now...doesn't look anywhere near as feature rich as bpm studio, it'll do me though...)

might record a mix sometime this weekend for the buzz

oh yeah, as far as i know, uploading an mp3, adding the link to a playlist & then uploading that playlist will enable you to stream mp3's...
    (i'm not 100% sure this'll work...)
    a 64k mono mp3 would be far easier on the ears than any .ra file i've ever heard

If you want to stream mp3s open a text file input the link to the mp3 file into it then save it as mix.m3u then point browser at .m3u file and it should stream :D

As far as mixing mp3s go I used Traktor DJ by Native Instruments. Good one for all you boggers ;) (sorry bad joke) but seriously it was really good well the pro edition. :D

Originally posted by Lenny
    Derek, what sort of mixer do you have?
    does your mixer have "rec out" on the back?

It has master, booth/zone, and then phono and line for each channel. Anyone know how to connect it to a PC? Would be much appreciated.

tumbleweed.gif

:confused:

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

By what you said there.. I think you're left with the kinda ****ty option, to plug the red+white into your master out, and have a jack on the end of that and plug it into your line-in on the computer,
    download a recording software... cooledit or something, my fav at the moment is "clean" not sure if its free or not,
    then have another wire the same as the one you just used for your mixer to pc, and plug the jack into the "lineout" on your pc, then plug the red+white into your hi-fi or were ever you have your sound comming out..
    what make & model is your mixer so I can lookup info on it?

Here's a link to show you the exact one. Can't find much info about it on the net. It's a Numark DM1100X:

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3803952527&category=19702#ebayphotohosting

Is cooledit free software? I have demo's of acid pro and wavelab at home - would either of them do the job, do you know?

• Advertisement

Cooledit is no longer around it was bought over by Adobe.
    It's still possible to get a demo for it tho.
    Try Sound Forge it's far superior, costs more* but it's worth it.

*should you choose to pay for it ;)

@ derek b :

you want to get steinberg clean 4.0 you'll get it for the price of a pc game, its deadly.

you hook the main output [NOT the rec. output] into the line in on your sound card and hook your soundcard up to your amp. for some reasoon it even makes your sound quality a hell of a lot sharper too. you'll need to get two 3.5mm --> dual rca leads too, theyre a fiver each in petes or somewhere like it. steinberg clean rocks, insanely simple even i can use it, i now always record my mixes, especially at parties etc or when i have mates over. iif you always do it as a matter of course i find you concentrate harder and clang less.

Ahh, thats the sortware I was on about tyranny!
    I got it with my cdj 800, quality piece of kit it is :)

yeah it rocks, and its so incredibly simple and user friendly even i can use it!

Advertisement