Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless LAN question

• 26-02-2004 8:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭

hello all,
    im new to wireless lans, and i recently got broadband in the home,
    both myself and the girlfriend have laptops.. if i was to buy 2 of these cards ....
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3078934000&category=45003

will we be able to view the net on both laptops? or do i have to have some sort of server or hub running? any info would be greatly appreciated.

later
    Macker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

Beware the cheap wireless cards, unless you want to sit about 2cms away from the modem / wireless router (which is what you will need btw if you want to share the BB connection without having to leave a PC permanently on and attached to the modem.)

Some of the cheap wireless cards are utter ****e especially if (for some crazy reason) you want to sit in another room or outside!

You have 2 laptops and BB, why skimp on **** pcmcia cards?
    (unless of course your laptops are Sorny or LuckyStar and your BB is ISDN)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭XDA

Clinical waste is right. Buy quality gear or you'll regret it forever. Here's what I would recommend

3Com Wireless 11g gateway (which you need to share your broadband wirelessly)

www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=120287&cks=PRL

and

www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=118980&cks=PRL

Which is the card for your laptop.

Bear in mind though, setting this up in your home is a reasonably tricky job. You need to have a fair idea what you're doing, especially when trying to set up the wireless router.

XDA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭captainpat

The link for the cheap WiFi cards wasn't a complete waste. They are made in Pomona CA. AT LAST! an answer to the song "Route 66", the town after Flagstaff, Arizona - now I can be sure it's "Don't forget Pomona". I was always too lazy to look it up.

Not really sorry for the off-topic. I'll stop now. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭redzer007

So then,

has anybody set this up? using 802.11g and if so what sort of speeds are you getting?

Was it difficult to set up?

How does the wireless router plug into the BB?

I know thats alot of questions but Im getting BB in this week and as I use 802.11 in work and only have a laptop at home I figured a wireless router\modem would be the easiest option

Thx all

Red

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Originally posted by redzer007
    So then,

has anybody set this up? using 802.11g and if so what sort of speeds are you getting?

Was it difficult to set up?

How does the wireless router plug into the BB?

I know thats alot of questions but Im getting BB in this week and as I use 802.11 in work and only have a laptop at home I figured a wireless router\modem would be the easiest option

Thx all

Red

I have a setup similar to what you propose. I am using a 3com G wireless access point connected to a 4 port ADSL modem/router. 3 pcs on the wired network an apple cube and a hp laptop connect via the wireless acces point all pcs ruuning XP and OSX on the cube.

Setup was simple enough all the hardware comes with configuration software the Router has a phone socket and just plugs in. At the time I purchased my hardware I could not get a all in one Wireless G /router/Adsl modem which is why I ended up with seperate units but that was last year I would assume that now there would be a combined unit available at the time the hardware cost me about €250 .

• Advertisement

Thanks

One problem that the 3Com access point has is I dont see any ethernet connections,

I may from time to time want a cable connection therefore I may go for

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=119947&cks=PRL

as it has 4 ethernet ports.

Has anyone used one of these?

Thx

R

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭captainpat

I have a Barricade unit in operation. Great value and good functions. Don't know about max range, but it covers my whole house, which is small, but has cement walls internally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭raphaelS

Just my 2 cents...
    my config is as follow:
    -A Zoom x4 ADSL modem (on Netsource SOHO)
    -A Sitecom Wireless router with printer port (http://www.sitecom.com/products_info.php?product_id=177&grp_id=6) mine is the older version with parallel port not USB. I have an Epson C84 shared.
    -4 laptops (1 W98, 1 W2K, 1 XP Home, 1 XP Home + RedHat 9.2), the card on the laptops are: 1 D-link 650+, 1 Belkin (don't remember which one) and 2 Mustek PCM-22.
    -1 Sony Clie NX70 with a Wifi CF card (Sony but made by Intel).

And once setup properly, it works perfectly in the "classic" 3 bedrooms semi, the router is downstairs.

Keep in mind 2 things (maybe there's more...):
    -Secure you network in all possible ways (Firewall, WEP, do not keep folders shared, MAC address,...) google and board are your friends, read a lot...
    -The "normal" Wifi speed 11Mb is faster than what you should get with ADSL 512 so it is fine for Internet but it can be slow if you want to copy big files from one PC to the other...

Raphael

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

SMC barricade .11g router
    D-Link PCMCIA .11g card
    UTV BB through their USB modem on my gateway PC

Excellent coverage throughout house, and at a house party a couple of weeks ago I was able to stream my mp3's through my laptop into a hi-fi in a house across the road from me.
    House is at 90deg angle to mine and about 50 feet away, haven't tested just how far it reaches, it reported no loss of signal quality at that distance anyway.

Tis cool IMO

Ok so,

I now know what I have to do, will update when its all up and running,

Just one more question for those of you using UTV, the modem they supply is it a usb connection to the PC or ethernet, and if its usb can I connect this to any of the WiFi routers mentioned, if not how do you guys get around this with out using a gateway PC.

My Plan

UTV BB --> (UTV)DSL modem --> 802.11g Router --> 802.11g PCMCIA Card -- XP Laptop

Am I missing anything obvious?

Cheers

Red

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

If you want to do it without a gateway PC, you will need to invest in a wireless router with an ADSL modem built in, you will then ignore the USB modem that utv send you.

http://komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=120287&cks=PRL

Does the above incorperate a modem?

or can someone suggest one?

Thx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

I have mine setup. However, to have my wireless card working, I had to bridge my wireless access point with local area network. Is this how it is done? Would I be able to set it up without bridging?

Advertisement