Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car Website - What would you want to know about a car dealership

• 26-02-2004 10:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭

Basically, am doing a website for a car dealer as a favour.

Generally, if you were looking up cars (new and used) on a dealer website, what information would you want?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

how much are the extras, nothing p**ses me off more than "From 15995"

Base Price 15995
    Leather 2000
    Alarm 400

etc etc

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

How far are you willing to go as far as effort and looks on this site?

The amount of information supplied provided is essentially up to the deakership itself
    but if I wanted to know about a car before even attempting to arrange a test drive
    the following info would be required:

Model
    Make
    Type (saloon, coupe etc)
    Year
    Mileage (approx mileage)
    Colour
    Extras (alloys, Metallic paint, etc)
    NCT or not (if required)
    Picture (a good quality one and in daylight does help)
    Price

[rant]
    POA is the one thing that puts me off a car dealership straight away. If Im looking for
    a car and Im working Mon - Fri and only have the weekends to do what I have to do
    and then go looking for a car, test drives, arrange finance/loans or whatever.. the
    last thing I need is some arsehole salesman trying to sweet talk me into buying a
    car I dont even want because I went out of my way to see a car that I saw on their
    website and looked good, but when I got there, they were asking way too much for
    it and then when I said i wasnt interested and found I wasted my time they try and
    convince me to buy another car within my price range

If i wanted another bloody car I would have come to see that bloody car...
    :rolleyes: :mad:

If youre rich enuff and looking at a porsche/ferrari/aston martin of whatever, then
    price doesnt matter and POA is perfectly suitable.. but for a fecking fiesta or Yaris
    or something in that range the POA is f*ck all good to you...

[/rant]

So anyway, back to the topic... (im having a bad day!!!!)

If the dealership isnt a well known one, a map and directions would help..

Tox

Originally posted by ToxicPaddy

[rant]
    POA is the one thing that puts me off a car dealership straight away. If Im looking for
    a car and Im working Mon - Fri and only have the weekends to do what I have to do
    and then go looking for a car, test drives, arrange finance/loans or whatever.. the
    last thing I need is some arsehole salesman trying to sweet talk me into buying a
    car I dont even want because I went out of my way to see a car that I saw on their
    website and looked good, but when I got there, they were asking way too much for
    it and then when I said i wasnt interested and found I wasted my time they try and
    convince me to buy another car within my price range

If i wanted another bloody car I would have come to see that bloody car...
    :rolleyes: :mad:

If youre rich enuff and looking at a porsche/ferrari/aston martin of whatever, then
    price doesnt matter and POA is perfectly suitable.. but for a fecking fiesta or Yaris
    or something in that range the POA is f*ck all good to you...

[/rant]

Here Here, spot on Tox

So anyway, back to the topic... (im having a bad day!!!!)

If the dealership isnt a well known one, a map and directions would help..

Tox

here here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭rs

Tox.

ok, map to dealership is already included

> Model
    > Make
    > Type (saloon, coupe etc)
    > Year
    > Mileage (approx mileage)
    > Colour
    > Extras (alloys, Metallic paint, etc)
    > NCT or not (if required)
    > Picture (a good quality one and in daylight does help)
    > Price

All there except NCT, which I will add. ( for used cars of course )

I'm a big believer that prices for ALL cars should be on the site. I simply told them that if I find a website without prices, "I assume they are hiding something and the prices will be higher than the next website so I look elsewhere". I think they bought that.

Also, keeping the stock list up to date is something I will also make sure they take seriously.

I appreciate the rant, and I whole-heartedly agree on all points :)

Nuttz,

Will have section detailing all base models, including the standard features per model.

Will also have available colours and options, including prices for all the options

And tech sheets with all engine and chasis details.

Sound decent?

good man, post the link when its done :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Ill second that one.. Sounds like its gonna be a class site rs..

One of the best around for information anyway... :)

Ohh and one more thing...

Number of owners..

Ya might get a 6 year old car which has been through the mill and had 3 owners
    and then ya might get a car of the same age and only had one owner who looked
    after it and may have been even a second family car so a better buy.

Tox

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

have a look at other car sites also and judge from that.
    www.cbg.ie
    www.autotrader.ie
    www.ireland.com/motors (link changed possibly)
    etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

What's a POA then?

price on application, i.e. I'll see if I think you can afford it. No Price No Interest as far as I'm concerned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭KoNiT

ditto on the POA, its annoying and i never inquire about the car.

Have a date of when the car came into stock.

Originally posted by KoNiT
    Have a date of when the car came into stock.

Its rare that a dealership will admit how long a car is in stock as if a car is hard
    to move and they point this out it will make the car stand out like a sore thumb and
    not very appealing to buyers..

Tox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Opening hours, particularly if they open late during the week and is Saturday a full or half day.

Originally posted by Borzoi
    Opening hours, particularly if they open late during the week and is Saturday a full or half day.

Totally missed that one, bugger.

Cheers Borzoi

Also, number of owners and how long the car has been in stock is not going to help them sell any cars, so I highly doubt they would want to advertise that kind of info.

Sorry guys ;)

A few dealerships have number of owners listed for each car.. thats not too bad..
    its the lenght of time in stock that will cause problems.

Tox

Well, you did ask for them.

Some screenshots so far

I should point out however, that graphics and layout were not done by me. I have no artistic talets whatsoever, and I freely admit it. Luckily, I have friends with such skills ;)

New Cars

newcars.jpg

New Car Detail

alhambra.jpg

Used Cars

usedcars.jpg

Used Car Detail

leon.jpg

I like the fact that you can see the used cars within 1 click and their details after a further click.
    Looks good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Nice looking site :)
    Originally posted by rs
    Basically, am doing a website for a car dealer as a favour.

A favour? I hope they gave YOU a car as a favour in return :)

Originally posted by unkel
    Nice looking site :)
    A favour? I hope they gave YOU a car as a favour in return :)

It's complicated.

They be family.

I do drive a SEAT :)

But it wasn't free :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭KoNiT

nice site

well done for having contact details on all pages.

Is the table for used cars "year driven"?

It would be handy if you could click on "price" to set that in max-min order & vica versa.

Please don't have "pic comming soon" when you don't have one.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by KoNiT
    Is the table for used cars "year driven"?

It would be handy if you could click on "price" to set that in max-min order & vica versa.

Please don't have "pic comming soon" when you don't have one.

You people are full of good ideas ;)

like the sort by price option, will certainly add that, and perhaps sort by engine, make + model, mileage, etc while I'm at it.

How about "no picture available"? That's what is says now :)

pictures for all the cars, if they can have some they can have all

ok, site is live.

Have not added all the requests yet, but I will.

http://www.billsheehanandsons.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Opening hours and directions to the garage are very important. There should be a prominent link to these on the main page. Opening hours should be detailed and include if they are closed for lunch etc. and should aslo include opening hours for sales and for parts/service (in a lot of garages the parts/service section has different opening hours to sales)

Site should have accurate, up to date specs of the cars on offer. It pisses me off when I see specs for a car that went out of production 6 months ago and no specs. for a car which was introduced recently. God that's annoying. Also very annoying is when there are no specs at all and the only way to get specs. is to fill in a "request brochure" type form so they can post you out a brochure. That's even more annoying.

BrianD3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭BrianD3

The site looks quite good but I reckon there should be a link to "Opening Hours" in the main menu.

I have some comments on this page:
    http://www.billsheehanandsons.com/newcars/ibiza/index.html

In this page, I like the list of models and prices. Nice and simple. But I would prefer to be able to click on each individual model and have a list of specs. come up. List should include everything from engine specs. performance/MPG, service intervals, equipment and options for that particular model. Rather than having to navigate through Standard Features/Additional Features/Options/TechnicalSpecs at the bottom of the page. It'd be OK to have a separate link for Colours though, assuming that all colours are available on all models (which in the case of some cars, they're not e.g. some colours might not be available on a base model, be aware of that)

Take the Ibiza 1.2 Signo 5 door. I'd like be able to click on this model and have all the specs. pop up. I shouldn't have to look up what's standard on all Ibizas and then find what extras are included with the Signo model. Likewise, I should only see things which are relevant to that model i.e. I shouldn't see specs. for the 1.4 litre engine. This would be my own personal preference, others would probably disagree and it would result in some duplication of data and more work for the webmaster too :) That's what I'd like to see though.

BrianD3

don't think it has been mentioned but something like the alert system on www.cambridgemotorco.ie where they contact you if your desired car comes in.

Advertisement