Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win 2K Server issue

Options
  • 26-02-2004 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭

Runing Windows 2000 Advanced Server

Installed a new 2 Port IDE controller card to cope with the 2 new 160gb drives that were put in (ran out of IDE ports)

Controller is a Silicon 0638 (i think? havent got the exact model number)

Each physical disk is on its own channel as the master device

Works fine, except every so often it looks like the 2 physical drives turn themselves off. And i get a delay cache write error.

I can access the drives but cant write to them. Strange but i am afraid of losing information that is contained on them

I checked the Hardware manager and the drives are listed but in the controller its says that there are no devices connected to the controller.

Any ideas

Windows 2000 Advanced Server SP4
    1.5 Gigs RAM
    Athlon XP 2400+
    560 GB Hard disks

Thanks

N

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭ando

sorry I cant help, but if I came across a situation like that, I'd get the make and model of the controller, and goto the offical website, see if they have any FAQ/knowledge Database or Forums that can support and help you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Its a Silicon Images PCI-ATA 133 Controller (0680)

Checked the knowledge base, no dice.

Will check if its a power issue but there is a 550W PSU

N

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Are you sure the drives are firmly connected to the controller, or even if the controller is properly seated in your PC? I had a problem like that before with a removable IDE caddy, it wasn't connecting securely to its socket, causing it to occasionally disconnect and give those delayed write cache errors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Found the issue..

A dodgy molex connector on one of the leading connectors to the hard-disks. Swapped it out it and we are back in business.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭ando

molex?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Molex = Power connectors

antec-molex.jpg

Advertisement