Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MP3 / Mini disc

Options
  • 26-02-2004 11:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭

I was wondering if someone could help be. I currently have a discman and I want to change to a mini-disc or MP3. The only thing is I dont know much about either, like
    1. How to record songs?
    2. Where's the best place to get either?
    3. what make? etc etc

I only have internet access in work and wouldn't be able to download any songs (I wouldn't know how). I do have a new computer at home and it can burn Cd's and stuff but we dont have it connected. could some explain to me what my best option is?

PS. If this is the wrong place to post this please move

Ron :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭bazman

MP3 is definitely the way to go, especially if you have a computer at home.

You can record from CD to MP3 format using free software (e.g. www.musicmatch.com) - it's very easy to use!
    This will record songs from CD to the harddrive on your PC.

If you buy a portable MP3 player it will come with a USB connection which you can connect to your PC and transfer songs as appropriate.

A 128MB portabe MP3 player will hold about 45 songs.
    http://www.komplett.ie is a good place to buy a player online - otherwise you could go to Dixons or Argos & get ripped off :-)

Mini-disc is on the way out IMO. I gave my player away. They're not easy to use & are not durable. Waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

1. How to record songs?
    2. Where's the best place to get either?
    3. what make? etc etc

Mini-disc :
    1) - you can either get a usb connector and transfere songs from your pc
    or just buy a jack and press record from the source (e.g. a cd-player/computer etc)

Mp3
    either download songs from the net and use the software to transfere
    or record songs manually - free software advailable

2/3)

The best place would be the states- they are really cheap there
    but apart from that the web for mp3 it depends what you want
    Ipod are great looking but the price doesn't justify the price difference compared to the creative zen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Ronika

Hey, thanks a million lads. I just looked at the Komplett website and seen a nice one. Just one more thing, If I burn songs on to my computer manually, can I record them directly to the MP3 or do I need the software, ( sorry I really haven't a clue when it comes to these thing)

Hi

You don't need software to transfer the songs - it's the very same as copying files in Windows Explorer.

When you plug the MP3 player into PC it will automatically a mapping to the MP3 player - all you have to do is copy files from your C drive to the newly created drive.

You do need software to burn the songs from CD to MP3 however - as I said www.musicmatch.com is the place to go.
    If you're not connected to the Web at home you can order their software on CD from the website - costs 6.99 dollars, about 5.80EUR.
    Alternatively you could download the software at work & transfer to CD, floppy or your new MP3 player!

Confused? Keep asking questions!

I think I understand, Though watch this space cos I could be back.

Thanks a Mill Bazman:)

• Advertisement

Think I may have confused you. If you're going with MP3 the following steps would be required (or similar):

1. Get software from www.musicmatch.com & somehow transfer to your PC at home & install (note: if you're PC is new this or similar software may already be on your PC!)

2a. Record all you CDs at home into MP3 format using MusicMatch software.

2b. Get more music from the internet - good websites for 'free' music are www.emp3finder.com & www.mp3hits.com

3. Buy your new portable MP3 player

4. Connect the MP3 player to PC via USB connection

5. Copy files from C: drive on your PC to the MP3 player driver (created automatically & you'll see this in Windows Explorer)

cheers, that does make better sense now. I wont be back in my parents house till tomorro so i'll see then what software is on teh computer.

Hey, me again. I was just in the Sony centre and the guy in there said that all MP3's come with the software needed for the computer- Is this true? I have seen one on the Komplett website but it doesn't say anything about the software. Does anyone know about this??

Perhaps all Sony MP3 players come with the software required, but not all MP3 players come with software.

I got my MP3 player from the web & it's didn't include the required software.

I think it would say in the Komplett specifications if the MP3 player came with software.

BTW there are a lot of advantages to getting your PC set-up for web access when it comes to MP3:
    - free MP3 software
    - free music
    - automatic tagging (If you're connected to the web MusicMatch will automatically enter the artist, title, album, year, art, etc etc of the songs. Otherwise you have the type in all the details yourself)

it would be handy to have but I dont live at home anymore and no one in the house would really use it.

Thanks for your help

• Advertisement
Advertisement