Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3d Mark Scores

• 26-02-2004 12:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭

Recently ran 3dmark 03 expecting to do alot better than I did. Scored 5700. on the following system.

Antec 300 Watt PSU (now I have a suspicion this could be my problem here, When I first connected the new card i was hitting 50 fps in cs!!! I then disconnected both optical drives and noticed an increase of 40 fps, is this a possibility?)

XP2600+ 333FSB non barton.

512 Ram PC3200

A87V8x

Hercules Radeon 9800 Pro Using 4.10 Catylst Driver

Is it my system which ain't good enough for the card, i am slightly dissapointed as you can imagine having forked out for a new card.

Any opinions, suggestions would be most grateful

Thanks,

Samba

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

em, thats a good score for 3dmark03, im barely getting 1000 with my fx5200.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

that's a good score. did you check it online with other similar results?

either way 3dmark can sometimes be a bit iffy. the main thing is that you're happy with the fps you are getting in games, and with a 9800 you should be :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Well to be perfectly honest, I was not expecting to see any fps drops, especially in a game like CS.

Server would not allow me to access online scores, really should have checked before posting.

I suppose what I am asking really, is will i see a big performance increase if I was to upgrade to somthing like the 2800 Barton core, would it be worth my while?

My Ti4400 gave me better fps in cs than the rad 9800 (at least when I first installed it and had everything connected)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

do you have the latest drivers for your card?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Originally posted by Samba
    Well to be perfectly honest, I was not expecting to see any fps drops, especially in a game like CS.

Server would not allow me to access online scores, really should have checked before posting.

I suppose what I am asking really, is will i see a big performance increase if I was to upgrade to somthing like the 2800 Barton core, would it be worth my while?

My Ti4400 gave me better fps in cs than the rad 9800 (at least when I first installed it and had everything connected)

That old card and old game engine were made for each other. The FX and Radeon cards are designed for much newer engines. Right tool for the job and all that..

There are some even older games that offer direct support for Voodoo3 cards in the form of Glide thats faster than any Radeon and D3D implementation on the same engine.

Matt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

3d mark 2003 is a load of bollox. Stick with 2001.

BloodBath

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

3dmark03 uses alot more of the DX 9 functionality our radeons have.

Can I suggest using Aquamark for a good modern test.

Athlon XP2500
    ASUS A7N8X Deluxe v2.0
    512 meg Corsair XMS 2700
    2 * Maxtor 80 gig 7200 SATA HDs
    Grandmars 9800np 128meg 385/305 - Cat 4.2

Aquamark: 36050 3d Mark 03: 5327

That old card and old game engine were made for each other. The FX and Radeon cards are designed for much newer engines. Right tool for the job and all that..

I had a sneaky suspicion about that.
    do you have the latest drivers for your card?

Catylst 4.10, newest from what I can see on the Hercules Site.

3dmark03 uses alot more of the DX 9 functionality our radeons have.

Cheers elmuerko, I shall be testing it out, now uninstalling 3dmark, waste of precious disk space I gather!

Thanks a million for the replies muchos Gracias, it will be interesting to see how it fairs with a new PSU, dramatic increase when I unplugged most my devicesl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

In 3dmark03 im getting 5.6k , with my system (9700pro overclocked ) and hitting 17k in 3dmark2001.

I think thats a good score in '03 but thats heavily dependant on the graphics card and doesent take into account the other parts of your system aswell as 2001 does. Most people with 9800pro's get between 5.5-6k ish so your not doing badly. 2001 your scored should be down around 15-16k due to your CPU and FSB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

samba check this out here for my overclock and the effect of oveclocking processor and graphics card on 3dmark

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=141858

bascially i found that 3dmark 01 responded very well to cpu, fsb changes but not really to gfx card changes,

my default 3dmark03 is probably is lower then yours i think and i have a 3200+ running in that system to that just shows how dependent on the gfx card it is.

aquamark responds well to both cpu and gfx card overclocks

data

• Advertisement

Thanks Dataisgod,

I ran the benchmark last night and it came up with 30,800, so I then proceeded to OC the CPU to it's most stable level (Not very high due to my PSU) at 2.25 Gig with a FSB of 358, the good news is my CPU is still nice and cool at 38o and the Mobo at 26o, I have gotten alot more out of it in the past (2.45) but not this time due to the amount of devices I have attatched.

When I ran the Benchmark again I scored 33,700, so needless to say I think my CPU is hindering my performance along with the PSU.

Can anyone tell me when the Barton Cores are due to go off the Shelves? in my experience it's the best time to buy hardware, I imagine I will notice a drastic Increase with somthing like an xp3000, I was looking at

http://www.jes-computer.de/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=127_47&products_id=14645

Think I will wait maybe a month and see how the new 64-bit range come down in price

Advertisement