Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

No legal requirement for NCT?

Options
  • 26-02-2004 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

Is it true that motor tax offices have no legal power to demand a NCT when taxing a car?

Where in law is this stated?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭bazman

I know nothing about legal requirement, but I know that at the moment you do not require an NCT cert in order to get a new Tax disc.

It is intented to make the NCT cert mandatory for taxing a car, but I don't know when this will be introduced.

I would assume that there is a provision for this in the law, but most motor tax offices are ignoring this at the moment.

If you're having problems with a particular MTO, you could always go to another one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

If you're having problems with a particular MTO, you could always go to another one?

You can't. You must tax in the MTO in your county/city.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TommyK

Originally posted by bazman
    I know nothing about legal requirement, but I know that at the moment you do not require an NCT cert in order to get a new Tax disc.

It is intented to make the NCT cert mandatory for taxing a car, but I don't know when this will be introduced.

I would assume that there is a provision for this in the law, but most motor tax offices are ignoring this at the moment.

The Motor Tax Office's aren't independent bodies - they are answerable to the Dept. of the Environment and take their instructions from there. Any requirement to produce an NCT would come from the Department.

The requirement was suspended in 2001 and there was plans to bring it back. However, this is not going to happen because of the Online Motor Tax facility. In order to keep the online facility consistent with the Motor Tax Office's, you won't have to produce *any* documents from next month onwards - just fill out the relevant details on your tax renewal.

Tommy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

Is it true that motor tax offices have no legal power to demand a NCT when taxing a car?

You may be able to tax the car but may also get cut by garda for not having NCT.

Advertisement