Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bush to visit Ireland in June

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭thesecret7

Actually, the EU is our most valuable friend and ally, as shown by the amount of infrastructural funding we've received from them in the past

How can you say this?. Ever since we have joined the E.U we have been giving billions and billions of Euro. We recieved €40bn in infastructure aid but we gave out over €100bn in fish stocks. If you think nothing of this then please Galicia in the north west of Spain and see all the infastructure which has been built up around the fishing industry.

We dont need all the yanks coming over...tell George Bush we dont want him in this tiny country, tell brussells to pay for it. All those "peace loving" hippies having a pointless protest every where he goes..... its not worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

Im sure they care, given the economy, their social policies and security rank a bit higher than what we think. Most Irish people wouldnt alter their voting patterns to please Irish-Americans....why expect vice versa?
    and you think Bush is coming here for a tea party? He's chancing his arm with people like you to shake his hand at pre determined allocated security checked locations. Get it covered and hey " I like Ireland too" and the usual patronising drivel he gave to the Polish last time round. Its all about votes...Politics.
    Because the palestinians have a better PR firm I think. Attacking school buses is an "understandable" act so I hear. If youre not Israeli that is. Then youre an evil son of a bitch, a tool of the imperialist american overlords, so on a so forth.
    yer fairly close...if its a 10 billion dollar a year Zionist land grabbing armed death machine against an imporverished native Arab population...yes I'll back the underdog any day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭thesecret7

and you think Bush is coming here for a tea party? He's chancing his arm with people like you to shake his hand at pre determined allocated security checked locations. Get it covered and hey " I like Ireland too" and the usual patronising drivel he gave to the Polish last time round. Its all about votes...Politics.

I agree totally with the above!! Ireland has enough problems and we dont need the low life's like Bush coming over here. This meeting should be held in belguim!! Bush doesnt give a damn about this country but given the oppurtunity he will go on camera lie through his teeth giving the usual hiddle diddly paddy wackery i love ireland speech...

And as for those "peaceful" protestors, they should all be detained as well.. i have met some of those people and a large amount of them have no jobs and are out for a good day of destruction!

Why dont we welcome Sharon over as well??? they are all at the same game at the end of the day. Maybe we can help get Sharon elected again or help him build his wall??

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Originally posted by thesecret7
    And as for those "peaceful" protestors, they should all be detained as well.. i have met some of those people and a large amount of them have no jobs and are out for a good day of destruction!

TBH I do not think you have met any of these protestors. I was at 2 of the protests against the Iraq war last year and there was no destruction at all.

Now I am a taxpayer fully employed and just from looking at the majority of people who were on the march they were taxpayers as well. Infact there were all ages and families there as well.

So tell me where did this last good day of destruction occur?

Gandalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Hes coming for an EU-US summit. The location is incidental, it could have been Greece or Spain or Belguim who held the presidency. Javier Solano and Romano Prodi will be the people doing most of the chatting, Cowen and Ahern will be keeping their traps shut ( hopefully) and doing their best not to get sick in the Japanese Prime Ministers lap.

And yes of course theyll be only publicising the people who welcome him - Do the anti-bush crowd publicise the people who disagree with them and push their point of view?

And about the votes....yeah, it is. When the protestors begin exercising their votes in a concerted fashion to effect politcal change - thats when it will stop being a protest movement and become a political movement. Of course, its unlikely they ever will.
    Well you cant vote for who you want comes election time..buts that's boring

Remember that? Thats why the likes of FF stay in power despite everyone bitching about them. Because votings boring and protesting is fun. Best of luck with the revolution though.
    yer fairly close...if its a 10 billion dollar a year Zionist land grabbing armed death machine against an imporverished native Arab population...yes I'll back the underdog any day.
    Just because theyre protesting doesnt mean theyre any better than the people or policies theyre protesting against.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Seems Bertie's not content with just asking.

BreakingNews.ie
    Anti-war movement accuses Council of censorship
    01/03/2004 - 2:07:59 pm

The Irish Anti-War Movement has criticised Dublin City Council for refusing it permission to erect posters advertising an anti-war march.

The IAWM said the council had denied it permission to put up posters advertising the protest on March 20 against the occupation of Iraq and George Bush’s impending visit to Ireland.

The IAWM said the move amounted to censorship.

The sadly-ironic thing is that they're using the Protection of the Environment Act to prevent posters being put up in the city - unless, of course, it's to do with an election :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by Sparks
    The sadly-ironic thing is that they're using the Protection of the Environment Act to prevent posters being put up in the city - unless, of course, it's to do with an election :rolleyes:

I can't see that surviving a court challenge.....

Of course, this has the wonderful possibility of backfiring spectacularly.

Just like the ADL being almost single-handedly responsible for the vast, vast media coverage which Gibson's new film has received, Bertie's attempt at censorship could just mean that the event gets precoverage and advertising beyond the organisers wildest dreams.

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

i was always of the opinion that leaving one or two flyers on various buses is a good way to advertise a march. Not too many just a few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 GeorgeBush

Ireland is a friendly country and its time that it stood shoulder to shoulder with the USA againist the war on terror.

The so called "peaceful" protestors should be immeidately detained and locked up if the Gardai feel they are likely to cause any problems.

George Bush has been one of the better presidents in living memory

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Originally posted by GeorgeBush
    Ireland is a friendly country and its time that it stood shoulder to shoulder with the USA againist the war on terror.
    The so called "peaceful" protestors should be immeidately detained and locked up if the Gardai feel they are likely to cause any problems.

Hmmmm.
    *looks around*
    That's odd, the mickey's gone....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭leonotron

Originally posted by sovtek
    And the American companies over here made everybody work.

"Everyone get back to work" - George W Bush :D

No NO No blah blah blah...fingers in my ears...i can't hear you. :)

Not true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

I've never turned up at an organised protest before but i think this is certainly a worthy occassion to break me duck:D

If its within the first two weeks of June (as im in the phillipines for the other two), then i'll be there.

However, i bet you he will spend most of his time here in some far flung part of ireland to minimise the turnout for protest. For the same reason, its mid-week as opposed to weekend - he's pulled this stunt before when visiting Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Looks like he may be coming during April (perhaps into May) also.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Are you three years old? If not, mind me asking just how old you might be?

Fight terror by predetermining guilt. Great idea. Once they're arrested, I reckon torturing a confession out of them would be the next logical step, so that there'd be no risk of ever incarcerating an innocent person.

And hey....from there....its only one or two more short steps before you become the monster you were fighting.

Bravo.

jc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by Cork
    RTE will cover it but it will be not covered internationally.
    I actually don't think that's true any more. The U.S. media has copped itself on a little, and it could well be turned into an issue relevant to the Presidential election. Jesus, CNN was covering Aristide's allegations of being abducted by U.S. Marines earlier on today, I was shocked to see it on an American station.
    Originally posted by Eurorunner
    However, i bet you he will spend most of his time here in some far flung part of ireland to minimise the turnout for protest. For the same reason, its mid-week as opposed to weekend - he's pulled this stunt before when visiting Britain.
    You're prolly right Eurorunner, but sure if we all end up in Sligo (like Hobbes suggests) and the protests are big enough, it won't matter because we'll still get the coverage. And you can bet your sweet bippy we'll have a few visitors from the UK and Europe that day too.

The thing that worries me is the possibility of violence, troublemakers are guaranteed. It would be great if all of the major organisers came up with guidelines for how to deal with it (like simply walking away and leaving the troublemakers in isolation).

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

The thing that worries me is the possibility of violence, troublemakers are guaranteed. It would be great if all of the major organisers came up with guidelines for how to deal with it (like simply walking away and leaving the troublemakers in isolation).

Yeah i certainly don't want myself associated with any of these Red Army Faction types. This thing should be about ordinary decent folks showing their disapproval of the Bush Regime.
    RTE will cover it but it will be not covered internationally.
    If its big enough it will be covered. If your opinions on the matter are as strong as i believe many peoples are, then you should turn up regardless of whether it gets international coverage or not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Originally posted by thesecret7
    How can you say this?. Ever since we have joined the E.U we have been giving billions and billions of Euro. We recieved €40bn in infastructure aid but we gave out over €100bn in fish stocks. If you think nothing of this then please Galicia in the north west of Spain and see all the infastructure which has been built up around the fishing industry.

We dont need all the yanks coming over...tell George Bush we dont want him in this tiny country, tell brussells to pay for it. All those "peace loving" hippies having a pointless protest every where he goes..... its not worth it

will you shut the Fcuk up you dont make sense
    you dont have a solid opinion either your just against everything
    against bush, europe, hippies etc

what do you stand for!?
    how old are you?
    your dad should lock his computer more often :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Jank banned for the above post.

I dont want to go off thread but anyway
    Are you three years old? If not, mind me asking just how old you might be?

no, im older. yes i do mind

George Bush is one of the best presidents in living history. History will record the leadership provided in this great time of uncertainity. Managing to fight a war on terrorists on one hand and helping to restart the stalling economy. The middle east is now more secure than ever before. Iraq is expected to have elections shortly and the future secuirty of Israel (the only democracy in the region!) is guarnteed with the new peace wall.

What? Ireland should be welcoming Bush with open arms! Those so called peaceful are plain trouble makers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

What? Ireland should be welcoming Bush with open arms! Those so called peaceful are plain trouble makers!

Why should they??

I don't think we have anything to gave by his visit only bad publicity in the muslim community!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

For god's sake, isn't it obvious this is a troll?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Originally posted by dahamsta
    For god's sake, isn't it obvious this is a troll?
    Your probably right there

the future secuirty of Israel (the only democracy in the region!) is guarnteed with the new peace wall.

Which your "one of the best presidents in history" has gone on record as opposing.

Well done......you've just shown that you don't actually know what the guy does and doesn't stand for, despite your fervent support for him.

Next.

jc

For god's sake, isn't it obvious this is a troll

I didnt start it !!
    Well done......you've just shown that you don't actually know what the guy does and doesn't stand for, despite your fervent support for him.

I do know mostly everything he stands for! this is going way off thread but George Bush has brought the US back on the straight and narrow and I personally pray that he gets re-elected. I know there are millions like me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Time off to attend demo has been booked. No way this gobshite can be let think everyone in Ireland will be fawning over him the way Bertie will.

Time will show that there wont be any mass protests, only a few vocal extremests will be showing up

George Bush is one of the best presidents in living history.

ok.... sure.....
    The middle east is now more secure than ever before. Iraq is expected to have elections shortly and the future secuirty of Israel (the only democracy in the region!) is guarnteed with the new peace wall.

Re Iraq, they'll have elections, but will the new government have any power, or will the elections be tampered. The US pulls the strings there.
    Time will show that there wont be any mass protests, only a few vocal extremests will be showing up

Agreed. Which is a shame, since the voice of the people should be heard. :)
    do know mostly everything he stands for! this is going way off thread but George Bush has brought the US back on the straight and narrow and I personally pray that he gets re-elected. I know there are millions like me

There are millions in China that support the destruction of the West. Are they too in the Right? Bush and his administration have turned the US into a paranoid nation, thats turning slowly towards the type of security the Iron Curtain used. So much for the last bastion of freedoms in the west.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

anyone else up for a **** off riot?

• Advertisement

anyone else up for a **** off riot?

No.

Cause all it would do is inflame everyone, and the Gardai would come in, to be criticised for breaking up said riot.

Advertisement