Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bush to visit Ireland in June

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

your a dry shyte:D

read some of my older posts and you mightn't think so. Still, i suppose i am when it comes to that kind of crap statements

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 GeorgeBush

klaz.......... I know your being sarcastic!!

Iraq can look forward to a future of freedom and economic prosperity fully integretated in the world community.

China is a communist state. George bush has brought the nation back from abis, putting through the Homelands secuirty bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭BattleBoar

Originally posted by GeorgeBush
    Iraq can look forward to a future of freedom and economic prosperity fully integretated in the world community.

Iraq can look forward to a stricct Islamic regime under Sharia law where the rights of women are less than they were under Saddam and people are just as oppressed, except in the name of Allah this time. Thank you George Bush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 GeorgeBush

No they wont !! They will be able to enjoy the freedoms that other arab countries like Egypt enjoys. Saddam supporters are dwindling every day. The region is more secure now than ever before. Lybia has declared it has NCB weapons which it wishes to de-commision. Iran looks like it wants to improve its west relations. Recognition and praise should be given to a great president when he comes over here!

Thats all Im going to say on the subject

• Advertisement

klaz.......... I know your being sarcastic!!

I can be. But in this thread, concening Bush, not a bit.

Iraq can look forward to the re-entry into the world community as a country under the US's thumb. Puppet Governments are still an occupation.
    China is a communist state.

So? Communism isn't necessary incorrect. Just badly handled in the past.
    George bush has brought the nation back from abis, putting through the Homelands secuirty bill.

Yesss.... ok.... this is the nation that at one stage was the pillar of freedoms. Now we're looking at a paranoid nation, with increasingly severe security policies.
    Saddam supporters are dwindling every day.

Its not just a matter of Saddam. Arabs might not like living under Western Countrol.
    The region is more secure now than ever before.

It helps to have one of the best equpped armies in the world occupying it. Kinda discourages any disputes domestic or foreign.
    Lybia has declared it has NCB weapons which it wishes to de-commision. Iran looks like it wants to improve its west relations.

So the West has shown its power, and lesser countries now that they must decommission the nuclear programmes and bow their heads to stay free of western control.
    Recognition and praise should be given to a great president when he comes over here!

Recognition for what he''s chosen to do, i give him. I recognise what he has done, and i'll be watching what he does next. As for praise, he'll get none of that from me, for his past decisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 ColonelGadaffi

How can Ireland welcome the infadel? I have be joining the mass protests !!! PM if you want to enlist

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Would a march aganist world terrorism be a better idea in socidarity with the people of Spain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

I'm delighted President Bush is paying a special visit to Ireland, it is a great honour for this country. American forces have done a fantastic job in sorting out Iraq and Afghanistan and in facing down the terrorist menace.

I for one will be delighted to extend him a hearty Céad Míle Fáilte. Like somebody said above. he is one of the greatest American presidents ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I, for one, am not too bothered either way. He can come here if he wants, but I will not be out in the streets to support him the way I did President Clinton (because I don't respect him), nor will I be out in the street waving banners against him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I'm starting to think this thread is an exercise in recognising that free speech means you'll hear stuff that gives you heartburn...

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭kanurocks

Screw egging him bring on the ammo:rolleyes: (disregard)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

he is one of the greatest American presidents ever.

...not to choke on a pretzel.

I think, when people in the future look back on this period of time, they will wonder (as some people do now) about how such a man, got to such a place. Granted, we place all the blame on him for the stupid desicions which have been made when we should be looking at those behind him, who are the ones really pulling the strings.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

From BreakingNews.ie:
    Anti-war campaigners have announced plans to hold a protest in Dublin this Saturday against US President George Bush’s visit to Ireland in June.

The protest, organised by the Irish Anti-War Movement, the Peace and Neutrality Alliance and the NGO Peace Alliance, was originally arranged to mark the first anniversary of the US/British invasion of Iraq.

However, the three groups have decided to transform it into a protest against Mr Bush’s visit to Ireland for a US-EU summit in June.

Speaking at a press conference today, the groups reiterated their view that the US/British war against Iraq was illegal and that Mr Bush posed a serious threat to world peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

i for one will be there - after what happened in spain - we should have nothing to do with his plans

...we should of had nothing do do with hime befor this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 gavinjoyce

I will be there too - the cheek of Bertie Ahern asking us not to protest. Who does he think he is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 syngin

A war was started in Araq for NO reason.
    Of course there will be a protest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 syngin

Araq !!..sorry Iraq.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭imp

US security chiefs are still giving the go-ahead for the president's visit but will insist on some exceptional concessions to ensure the safety of Mr Bush during his stay in Ireland.

These include diplomatic immunity for armed special agents and snipers protecting Mr Bush.

The immunity would cover a situation such as the accidental shooting of a protester, the use of US air force planes and Black Hawk helicopters and even a stand-by provision of battlefield weaponry in the event of major riots that could threaten the safety of Mr Bush.

Full story: http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=39&si=1145703&issue_id=10586

Anybody else feel that this is a tad ridiculous?? I realise they mention in the article that Britain rejected this but somehow I'm not quite confident that Bertie will...

}:>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

Originally posted by syngin
    A war was started in Iraq for NO reason.
    Of course there will be a protest

"For no reason".

Are you kidding? Have you just woken up out of a coma?

Iraq was not just any old country. Here's a country that started a war with Iran. Invaded and occupied Kuwait. Attacked Israel with SCUD missile without provocation. Sponsored Israeli suicide bombers, sending a cash reward to families of the bombers. Massacred hudreds of thousands of it's own population, some with chemical weapons. Had an ongoing and active WMD weapons program at least until 1994. Ignored 18 binding UN resolutions to allow weapons inspectors to verify that it had no WMD. Repeatedly harassed and expelled said weapns inspectors, right up until the last minute. Allowed it's population to suffer misery, illness, malnutrition in thier thousands while playing this charade with UN weapons inspectors. Carried out the most gross violations of human rights on it's citizen inclduing torturing with acid baths and throwing live human beings into shredders.

I think the decapitation of this appalling regime was entirely justified and would have got UN backing had it not been for greedy France and Russia who were making a nice profit out of oil for food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Originally posted by An Fear Aniar
    "For no reason".

Are you kidding? Have you just woken up out of a coma?

Iraq was not just any old country. Here's a country that started a war with Iran. Invaded and occupied Kuwait. Attacked Israel with SCUD missile without provocation. Sponsored Israeli suicide bombers, sending a cash reward to families of the bombers. Massacred hudreds of thousands of it's own population, some with chemical weapons. Had an ongoing and active WMD weapons program at least until 1994. Ignored 18 binding UN resolutions to allow weapons inspectors to verify that it had no WMD. Repeatedly harassed and expelled said weapns inspectors, right up until the last minute. Allowed it's population to suffer misery, illness, malnutrition in thier thousands while playing this charade with UN weapons inspectors. Carried out the most gross violations of human rights on it's citizen inclduing torturing with acid baths and throwing live human beings into shredders.

I think the decapitation of this appalling regime was entirely justified and would have got UN backing had it not been for greedy France and Russia who were making a nice profit out of oil for food.

Looks like you are the one that have just come out of a coma my friend. Maybe you foget that the good old U.S. of A. and UK supported Iraq in its war on Iran. They supplied iraq with chemical weapons and provided logistical support to help them target the iranians. Again I remind, you it was the US that provided iraq with the chemical weapons. Also Israel has actually ignored a LOT more UN resolutions than Iraq. unforunately the USA veto's any UN resolutions against Iraq. In fact its actually the US that has carried out some of the worst violations of human rights at guantanamo bay, including exporting prisoners to countries where they can torture them. You really need to get your head out of the sand m8.
    This was a war for profit...
    profit for the US oil barons,
    profit for all the "reconstruction" companies, that are rebuilding the Iraq that the US army and airforce destroyed.
    profit for the arms manufacturers.

How many of these companies do you think are heavy contributers to DUBYA's election campaign? Unfortuantely there will always be enough naieve fools like you around to buy the lies and spin from ppl like Bush and Blair. Blissful in your ignorance as they commit mass murder in your name and laugh about how easy the stupid are to manipulate.

Next time u spew forth such dribble, do some research, you make me sick

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

If you march I will not be happy.
    I am not going to bomb you or anything like that i will just be very pissed off.

If there is a another anti bush march i will join the re-elect George W campaign.

I do not want you people blocking my busses in town. On Far too many days i have been stuck in town for hours? You think your marches gain you support?
    You all talk about the right to free speech what gives you the right to stop my busses? Your are lucky that i am not in power.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

What a fickle bunch us Irish are, we couldnt stop licking Clinton's ass here during the peace process, a couple of years later everything the US does is bad.

If Bush gets the boot in November and Kerry decides to withdraw from or re-organise Iraq under UN control for example, will we all be happy again?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by Nuttzz
    What a fickle bunch us Irish are, we couldnt stop licking Clinton's ass here during the peace process, a couple of years later everything the US does is bad.

You're not serious, are you, that you don't understand how we could approve of policies instigated by one President, and reject policies instigated by another?

And, for the record, not everything Clinton did was good, nor has everything Bush has done been bad.....

jc

These include diplomatic immunity for armed special agents and snipers protecting Mr Bush.

Wait a sec. Everyone complained when the Gardai apparently took their badges off, and we're going to accept foreign troops on our own soil with complete immunity from our laws?
    You all talk about the right to free speech what gives you the right to stop my busses? Your are lucky that i am not in power

User, i'm not part of the anti-war movement, but even i realise that these people march to support your right to free speech. And these march's have gained you many liberties in the past, that wouldn't have been achieved without people's solidarity.

Nuttzz, Clinton wasn't so bad. He at least wanted to spread peace. Bush wants the opposite. Seems obvious why Clinton got a good reception here. Besides, i'll always have more support for someone that's human. (Clinton likes getting head, Bush gets head by deploying his armies)

And not everything the US does is bad. Its just that we're a little more critical of random acts of violence. And Bush's policy towards terrorism is verging on random violence.
    will we all be happy again

I dunno. I'm waiting to see if the US will settle down. They (Bush Admin) make me nervous at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Does anyone bother reading articles any more?

Sorry Dave, I kinda jumped in with rightous anger at the thought. My apologies for that. I wouldn't be suprised though if the Irish Government gave them the authority to do it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

And, for the record, not everything Clinton did was good, nor has everything Bush has done been bad.....

thats my point, the general consensus here (this thread & the how anti american are you thread in After hours) is that Bush is a evil monster and that Clinton walked on water, Clinton attacked Afghanistan (and Sudan) with cruise missiles long before Bush got into power.......

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by klaz
    Sorry Dave, I kinda jumped in with rightous anger at the thought. My apologies for that. I wouldn't be suprised though if the Irish Government gave them the authority to do it though.
    That would be my worry too. Bertie is lacking a pair of testicles, and most of his Ministers are happy to toe the line.
    The only people who should be carrying firearms in this country are armed Gardai and the Military. Foreign nationals here for a brief period should especially be denied the right to carry a weapon. Secret service or otherwise.

The main problem in America is that the President is seen as the most important citizen in the country, that his life is more valuable than any other citizen's, when the fact is that he's just another Joe Shmoe, and there are plenty of people who could (and can) do his job, should he be killed.
    Part of the arsenal they would like to bring over, "just in case", is a minigun mounted on the back of a truck which can literally mow down an entire crowd in seconds, should the president's life be in danger. That kind of force should never be used on civilians. Ever. If such a weapon was used in this country, I would very much hope that all members of the US security force would be arrested and jailed, pending an investigation. If even one citizen is shot by anyone other than our own security forces, I would hope that our Government seriously reconsider their friendship with the current US president.

He probably won't let them do anything but carry sidearms though tbh. Anything more would be probably be detrimental to his political career.

What did the Secret Service carry during Clinton's visit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

thats my point, the general consensus here (this thread & the how anti american are you thread in After hours) is that Bush is a evil monster and that Clinton walked on water, Clinton attacked Afghanistan (and Sudan) with cruise missiles long before Bush got into power.......

I can't say I agree with this one. At the end of the day, Clinton isn't the President of the USA anymore. What he has done/has not done is slowly fading off into the sunset of history. However, Bush is here and now.

I don't think any reasonable person is simply "Pro-Clinton/Anti-Bush" - it's too simplistic.

Advertisement