Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting PCs and Xbox to BB

• 26-02-2004 1:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭

At the moment I am using the Alcatel Speedtouch ADSL modem. As I am getting a new PC soon, I am planning to get myself a router as I feel the need to have protection for my PC. What I am planning to do in the near future is connect 2 PCs and my Xbox to BB. I would rather get a modem/router rather than get them saperately. I intend to get the wireless network card thats available with my mobo if it is neccessary.
    Here is the question:
    1. What is the best way to connect 1 PC & Xbox first and then later adding another PC to share BB?
    2. Should I get the normal modem/router or get a wireless?
    3. Will a router make my PC more secure?
    4. What is a good router to use? Does the routher comes with a firewall software?

Thanks in advance.

--== noekenzo ==--

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

When getting a router for using an xbox all you have to do is make sure that it's UPnP compatible, thats how the xbox negotiates the NAT on the router.

I use a Linksys BEFW11S4 unfortunately it doesn't have a built in ADSL modem so you'd have to take a look at another one.

Routers aren't actually Firewalls by design, basically the router takes the place of your computer on the internet and then you access through it. The benefit being that if someone attempts to connect to your pc remotely they'll only be able to see your router.

Of course you have full control over the ports that the router opens and you can forward different ports to different computers (particularly helpful for p2p apps).

Routers are fairly secure, but you really should have some sort of software firewall too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

Do you think Netgear DG834UK ADSL Firewall Router can do the job?

Also, what things should I look out for in a router or a wireless router?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Personally i wouldn't go wireless yet. The technology still needs some improving imo. Especially if you want to stream video over it.

A software firewall is still a must, even with a hardware one. A software firewall allows you to see exactly what programs are accepting incoming and outgoing connections, and to set permissions on a per program basis, which is always usefull

Well I wouldnt mind going for a normal router instead of wireless. But the router has to have a modem built in to it. At the moment I am using Alcatel Speedtouch ADSL modem which uses USB to connect to my PC. I dont think it as an Ethernet connector or port.
    Any advice on a good modem/router?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭ceejay

I'm using a Zoom X4 router which comes with a USB and an ethernet port, and supports UPnP. I already had an 8-port switch, so I connect the X4 to the switch, and then the acts as the default gateway for machines on the LAN, including my XBox. I don't use the USB port on it, but if you had a PC and an XBox, and didn't have a switch/hub, then you could use the USB port for the PC and the ethernet port for the XBox. If you later need to connect more, you can pick up a 4- or 8-port switch/hub pretty cheaply, and use that to connect several things to the ethernet port.

On the Wireless side, I also have a Xircom Wireless Access Point connected to the switch, so I can use WiFi with my laptop to connect to the LAN and through the X4 to the Internet. It all works very well.

Ciarán

Advertisement