Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help getting grants/ fees payed?

Options
  • 26-02-2004 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭

I am interested in returning to university to do my Part II in Architecture.
    I received my Degree in Architected the summer just gone. I never received any funding/ grants from anyone to do the undergraduate course as I lived in my parents home and I’m wondering if I could get my fees paid for, or a maintenance grant or something similar for my new course.
    I’m 23 years old, (I’ll be 24 by September when the course starts.).
    I can also give an address different to that of my parents.
    I’ll be giving up a good job to go back so I need to know that I can afford to do the two years before I make my mind up.
    I’m very interested in doing the course in London.

Has anyone done a postgrad course in England?
    Did you get anything towards your fees?

Does anyone know anything that might be helpful to me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I think the only thing you can do in the UK is apply to the loans company for a loan, to pay for your fees. I don't know if there are grants as such available.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

I know I could get an EU grant to have my fees paid as an Irish Undergraduate studying in England but as I lived with my parents when I was an undergrad their earnings were taken into account and so I couldn’t get anything as they earned above the threshold for financial aid. I don’t however have a clue if the same is true for Postgraduate courses and this is what I need to find out.

I was hoping someone here was doing a Postgraduate course in England and could give me some advice.

P.S. Thanks for your reply Lump but I think you have to be English or be an E.U. citizen who has lived in England for 3 years to get the student loan and as I’m currently working here in Ireland I don’t think I qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I assumed you were english... you didn't specify.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭androphobic

hi Doc

i may be wrong but as far as i know you can't get a maintenance grant for a postgrad course abroad but you can if you do the course in ireland.

you can get a grant for an undergrad course either in ireland or abroad but its different for postgrads.

best thing to do is contact your county council though cos they'll let ya know where ya stand.

i dont think they take your parents income into account if you can prove they're not supporting you, so you are an "independent candidate", as such.

dunno if that helps but good luck anyway,

- andro

Advertisement