Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installation problem

Options
  • 26-02-2004 3:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭

When trying to install battlefield 1942 a weird error message comes up each time.

I'll try and look for the error message online but simply speaking the sintallation will get to between 20 and 50 % and then it will tell me something is "missing" and then the installation will crash.

anybody had this problem?

"specified component cannot be found in the media. An attempt was made to access a componet that doesn't exist in the named Media"

there it is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Cd fudged ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

is it a legit cd?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Raggamuffin

fudged?
    as in scratched or wrecked?

oh yeha i bought the games ages ago it's just i had to uninstall for awhile caus ei got bored without broadband.
    Then i went to reinstall and i had the problem.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Raggamuffin I had the same problem with you,
    I brought my cd back and got a new one, still the exzact same problem.
    apparently its something to do with the software that Ea use(installshield) it is having conflicts with something on your computer.. I did a quick google of this online and read a bit that there is a simple fix,
    But the way I went around it was I had alsready downloaded the 2 cd ISO's before I bought the game to see what it was like, so I just installed the game off them.. I know I shouldn't say this but iyou prob wouldn't have this problem if it wasn't a legit game you have... but I can send you the ISO's over p2p if you like.. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

From the Installshield website:
    105: Specified component cannot be found in the media.

This error occurs when an attempt is made to access a component name that does not exist in the named media. This error is caused by a component name being incorrectly specified when calling a component function. The component names must be specified exactly as they appear in the Components Pane or in the call to ComponentAddItem. The names are case-sensitive.

Googleing will help you a bit more. See the following links for help.
    http://www.opentechsupport.net/forums/archive/topic/20658-1.html
    http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/17494/
    http://www.experts-exchange.com/Miscellaneous/Games/Q_20762379.html
    There is more and possibly better ones googleing here

• Advertisement

thanks a bunch

i already had googled but i still had'nt found something concrete and effective.

Actually i tryed both a legit game and also a copy.

When i had the problem i got the copyed game off my friend.

THing is how come it's happeneing now and it never happened before?

anyways i'll try out what you've suggested.

But i'm not quite sure what ISO's are? could you pm me and explain?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

ISO's are like images of the game..
    the thing is, if you copy games from cd to cd, they ahve cd protection that'll stop them from workining
    ISO's are like cd's that you download(illegal of course if you don't own the game) but you can use mounting tool(which basicly turn it into a real cd on your my computer) so it just acts the same, i dono why it worked for me when I stall from ISO's, I can't install games that use that "wise" installtion from the cd's, so i do have to buy the games, download the ISO's(the cd's) and install it from them and use my cdkey from my bought copy, also have to have the cd in the drive most times too..

oh i getcha..
    i'll just have to figure out how to do all that which doe'snt sound too hard.

well i still have final fntasy x to beat so battlefield will have to wait...

thanks very much for all the help btw

Advertisement