Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Favorite Storylines

• 26-02-2004 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭

We've a most embarrassing storylines thread so why not have a favourites one. Personally I thought the buildup to the HBK vs Bret Hart was especially good and I also loved the way they introduced Mankind with those vignettes in that dark room.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

if were talkin vignettes what about mr perfect. they showed clips for months of hennig hitting home runs, getting strikes, aces, throwing football passes to himself, breaking all sorts of records. i loved every one of em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Hanza

This is where Im gonna get my ass verbally kicked to death, but hey....

The one that stands out in my mind as exciting me the most was the early days of the Invasion. When Tommy Dreamer and RVD came from the crowd, i wet my self. The reformation along with Heymans speach was excellent, then the old ECW music. I thought they would have ECW interfering in every match using tables and kendo sticks and all sorta fun stuff like that.

Watched Invasion when I was in Washington on holidays. I went over to the arena the next night to see what the buzz was like for RAW. Didnt get any tickets but I'll never forget the build up to invasion.

Another one would have to be Mankinds transformation into Cactus Jack in preperation for the Royal Rumble 2000 street fight. The pop that got was amazing...

Hanza

I enjoy Test dude.

Everyone has their little imbarrising like in wrestling. I love Matt Hardy...

MATT HARDY 4 WORLDS CHAMPIONSHIP...

:D

Hanza

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Resigning SCSA by bish!
    Classic!
    It then ran on to him being fired and then re-hired as co-gm.

"Key word: Tomorrow!"

I really enjoyed that 1.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭NeroTheExtreme

Going back to old school here but mine goes back to 91 and the splitting of The Rockers.

This had been teased for so long, and nobody had a clue which one was gonna be pushed. They teased the split at the 91 survivor series when Michaels walked, and then two weeks later the split happened during their match with Legion Of Doom. It's the storyline afterwards that had me and that was if they were gonna sort the differences out. Everyone was tuned into that taping of Challenge that night, and then BAM! Through the window Janetty went, and we wouldn't see him again for another year while Michaels learned the ropes as a singles guy.

When he would eventually come back, he'd give us three brilliant matches with Michaels, one at the 93 Rumble, one on RAW, and one done for video (which finally surfaced on the steel cage DVD).

Nero

I don't think that was a blade job to be honest, i think that was a botched stunt. Because flair bladed at Wrestlemania VIII two months later and he was fined for it.

Nero

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,540 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I liked the Higher Power / Stephanie kidnapping / Undertaker story.... The reveal of the Higher Power was totally predictable, but the manic look in Vince's face when he removed the hood was brilliant..... "It was me Austin..... It was me alllllll along!"

- Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

Originally posted by NeroTheExtreme
    I don't think that was a blade job to be honest, i think that was a botched stunt. Because flair bladed at Wrestlemania VIII two months later and he was fined for it.

Nero

he was fined for blading? wow how far we have come, kind of shows how much a guy like flair cares about putting on a show if he's willing to risk a fine for a spot.

Not too sure exactly why he was fined, Bret Hart bladed earlier on in that card. But blade jobs in the early 90s were few and far between.

Nero

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

Im going back abit but my favourite storyline from years gone by was the undertaker, jake the snake storyline, anyone remeber when undi was bitten by the cobra

Shin

Nope, I actually don't!
    I remember Undertaker being bitten by a Cobra before summerslam, an angle they then dropped within weeks, and i then remember Savage being bitten by it (which is the one most people remember).

I remember Jake slamming Undertakers hand shut in the casket and then proceeding to DDT Paul Bearer.

Even after looking it up, i couldn't get any more info on Undertaker being bitten by a cobra, although it could have happened before their Wrestlemania VIII match.

Nero

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

I liked the start of the Invasion storyline when the McMahons announced they had taken over WCW and nobody knew what they were going to do with it, whether it would run as normal or whether half of Raw would be WCW. It was just a really speculative time but unfortunately they couldn't live up to the hype.

One I really liked was back around Summerslam 92 (I think) when it was Savage v Warrior and Ted DiBiase kept interfering saying that his man would win, and both Warrior and Savage (both faces) were deeply suspicious of each other because they believed the other one sold out. And of course the fans didn't know what to think either. And I think a week before the PPV they were forced to tag together (which was unheard of back then) against the Nasty Boys. Then at the PPV DiBiase came down to ringside and would trip Savage as he went off the ropes, then a few minutes later Virgil would trip Warrior. And of course, it turned out that neither man had sold out. It was just a slowburning old school storyline.

Erm, Exit... that was Mr Perfect, not DiBiase ;) And it was Ric Flair who then tripped up the warrior.

Summerslam 92 came along and both faces turned up without Perfect in their corner. But near the end of the match, Perfect and Flair came down to ringside and ended up nailing Savage with the chair, therefore Warrior won by DQ or a countout. The plan then was for Flair to challenge the winner, and as Savage was already injured, Flair got the belt back with ease.

The original plan was for the Warrior to turn heel here, but he got screwy with the booking at last minute and we got the above.

Nero

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

D'oh! My bad memory remembered them 'selling out' so I presumed it must have been DiBiase who was trying to influence them.

Anyway, just so I don't look stupid: btw Nero, you wrote Savage instead of DiBiase making me look a fool for not even knowing who was in the match ;)

No I didn't! ;)
    Nero

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭The Phenom

Well The Stone Cold v Vince employee against the boss thing was brilliant.
    and the whole Mankind Undertaker saga i thought was class
    Actually i enjoyed the HBK v Sid storyline too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

One of my favourite, well, i suppose you could call it a story line, was when the corporation and the ministry were feuding, and eventually joined forces, or the storylines involving DX.
    That was when WWE was in it's height, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

You just said in the other thread that you rarely watch wrestling then how do you know wrestling isn't at it's best now.
    Approaching Wrestlemania 20 IMO wrestling is better now than it has been for years. We're gonna see Goldberg in his best match (probably), we've got great superstars performing really well( mick foley, undertaker(hopefully, HBK) and The ROck( won't let us down, never has).
    Aside from all this guys like benoit and eddie and an already established at an upper level Angle who are great technical wrestlers are coming to prominence.
    They've got great young talent like John Cena, Brock Lesnar and Randy Orton.
    That's all without mentioning a fabulous midcard of RVD, Kane, Booker T, Christian, Jericho, Flair, Batista.

IMO it's almost as good as it's ever been, you should start watching again.

The ROck( won't let us down, never has).
    What was that about? NEVER LETS US DOWN. Dude, where have you been since the sequal to the mummy?

He bailed on us. When we needed him the most, when WWE was in a slump 2 years ago and could have gone out of buisness at any moment, Rock fu*ks off to Hollywood to sell out. Lets face it, he used wrestling to get more money and get himself to bigger places and more money. He says he has all the heart in the world for wrestling... that the ring is his home. B f'n S!!!

Hes a demogogue (like Hitler), he can convince everyone that he loves wrestling, but all he means is that he has something to fall back on once his hollywood carrer goes belly up.

We have a million HHH hate threads, Im offically turning this into a Rock hating thread...

Hanza

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

Sorry Hanza I meant that in the context of that when he does infact come back, he won't dissapoint us with his performance.
    I agree that he has though let us down in your context but he's only Human, I can' see anybody else being noble enough to turn down the multi-million easy life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Ya he's good in-ring.
    Pisses me off when we know for a fact its a 2/3 week return then gone again.
    He should come out the "Maybe Tomorrow" - Littlest Hobo Theme music!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

I actually thought they had a great angle with O'Haire returning and the "I'm only telling you what you already know" So much poteantial... then piper came and got fired and haven't seen him since. If they kept up that gimmick it'd still be fresh as the (some) fans liked it... or just me?

I thought the undertaker being put in the casket by Kamal and then undertaker vs undertake match was one of the best stories...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Originally posted by Hanza
    when WWE was in a slump 2 years ago and could have gone out of buisness at ny moment

Not sure what you mean by that, WWE hasnt been close to going outta business since just before Austin v Mcmahon

Not exactly true, they were very much on the verge of bankrupsy this time last year due to bad management decisions such as employing dodgy talent, The World - New York, The XFL, and a few financially disasterous PPV's in a row, all that caught up with the pocket book. For a while the WWE was hanging by a string.

Losing the court case for the WWF name in May 2002 didn't help either, with a good percentage of their merchandising gone down the swanny.

Nero

• Advertisement
Advertisement