Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor Coverage Improvement Shock

Options
  • 26-02-2004 4:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

As a frequent basher of Meteor Coverage I was suprised by what they have in store for cutsomers in the next few months .... There is going to be massive expansion in coverage ... Their updated coverage map is now here: http://www.meteor.ie/network/index.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Hmmmmm.....

This map seems to be a bit inaccurate. It has large parts of Dublin down as "coverage in June 2004". It also has large parts of Clare down as not covered (when the old map said they were covered). Also have they really got West Cork and Monaghan done in the last few months??

Anyways this is a big improvement from what it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

I can almost guarantee that Meteor will have no coverage in most of West Cork for a loooong time.. The area is notorious for coverage black holes. The map seems to have a lot of gaps in the area. I spend a lot of time in Glandore and Leap and it took O2 YEARS to finally get adequate coverage for making phone calls along the coastline. In Glandore its still not possible to make phone calls from the house. Vodafone is a bit better I think. So I cant see Meteor working there for a long while yet.

Kinda optomistic saying that they're applying the "finishing touches" to their network.. But a drastic improvement on 2 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Celticwarrior

Wahey! Meteor rocks anyway, but more coverage is even better! Whats the story with them getting to use the other two networks coverage? Is that 3 wks not up by now?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

From what I've heard of it Vodafone and O2 are required to open up their networks to any company that wants to use them.

Just like Eircom does with Esat, UTV, etc etc etc.

I'd like to see Meteor jump on board. They're not at all the small Irish company I had always thought they were. They're a large American company that sets up networks all over the place.

We've no Irish mobile phone network. :( But I'm still a fan of Meteor. Free texts is just brilliant.

Anyhow we'll see how the coverage changes over the next year. It should be interesting. Meteor may change tact and hop onto Vodafone/O2's networks in places it hasn't gotten coverage arranged and thus overnight become better than the other networks. :D

Its not just that, i mean they are sohelpful on the phone when u ring them up, they actually want to help you, i got €1 courtesy credit before cos they valued me as a customer when i rang up complaining!
    I have been a customer of the other two networks and Meteor is really class in terms of everything!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

I would fully switch to meteor - if they offered a portal like 02 for webtext.

But free voicemail is an incetive to make me still switch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭MadKevo

the coverage map show no current coverage in Galway city - surely that's very wrong... Especially since Meteor have had at least one store in Galway since they pretty much launched. Must be difficult to sell phones without being able to show that you can make/receive calls :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

The Gaway coverage is a joke, my local cell has been abolished until June 2004 ......a shame since it worked for 2 years.

I live in Galway and dont have any problem with coverage at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Falkorre

I live in north clondalkin (west dublin), In my estate, I cannot get vodafone or o2, im lucky if i get 1 bar with either of them, and thats usually while hanging from the lampshade with my arm outstretched and swinging ;)

Meteor on the otherhand, I get all 5 bars, no dropped calls, and near perfect rececption 95% of the time.

B

• Advertisement

The free meteor texts and pics are savage though, i used to spend €50 pm when i was with 02/vodafone, now i spend €20, and i dont even spend all of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

The unlimited free texts are saving me a fortune as well.
    Originally posted by Cork
    I would fully switch to meteor - if they offered a portal like 02 for webtext.

www.mymeteor.ie better for most things than the o2 portal but only offers 30 free international web texts.

It has some pretty cool features for bill paying customers like a "subscription holiday" where you can pause your bill while youn are on holkiday so you get a zero line rental charge while you are not in the country.
    Originally posted by Muck
    The Galway coverage is a joke, my local cell has been abolished until June 2004 ......a shame since it worked for 2 years.

Ha! The new map was put together in 2 minutes. Galway still has coverage.

Advertisement