Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which Access Point

• 26-02-2004 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭

Im getting a 9dBi pac-wireless Omni and i need an AP but not sure which to get - i want it to have the following features (in order of importance)

wanted to have the AP beside the omni using POE but ill keep it inside if its not POE

User access control
    Web based Admin
    Power over Ethernet - cant find many of these

I was looking at the Linksys ones : http://www.linksys.com/products/group.asp?grid=33&scid=35

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=44996&item=3080570438

will any of these do or am i barking up the wrong tree

Im guessing id connect the Omni to the AP and then the AP to a wireless network card (Dell truemobile 1150) (or can i go straight from the AP to my network card via cat5)

thanks for any suggestions

Joe

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

her eis one with POE from the same people doing that auction

http://www.vbnets.com/products/page.php?id=70

Between the 2 u have there take the 3com

Have u organised a pigtail and/or coax to go from the AP to the Omni?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭JJSolutions

I saw that one but wasnt too keen on having to open it up to connect the cable - is there a connection inside for the pigtail to conenct to or is it a messy job?

Yeah I can get the pigtail from the guy im getting the rest of the stuff off.

How can i connect a laptop/pc to the network at the AP location does it work as follows:

Omni - pigtail to AP - cat5 to networkcard/wireless network card ? or is there somehting else needed between the AP and the client laptop.

What about a firewall / user access controll - im hoping to have a number of remote users connecting to this Omni - but want to control who access it.

I was told this AP is only suited for Directionals as it isnt a bridge :(

That makes no sense at all you will have to be more specfic about what you were told

The AP with POE i linked to is a bridge (not that it matters either way) and is easily opend to connect a pigtail, not messy at alll.

Yeah you can connect your laptop to the cat 5 (you may need crossover cable)

Access controll is a diferant story most people use WEP and MAC address restrictions (that £Com with POE WONT do MAC restrictions)

This is what i was told by a guy in a vbnets

These units do not bridge - they are just access points that can talk to a
    client site. With the right antenna they will work over that distance but
    not with an OMNi - you will really need directional antennas I suggest.

I ended up buying a Smartbridges Airpoint pro outdoor that should do the trick.

• Advertisement

I think he ment WDS bridgeing wich doe work over an omni but anyway....

Advertisement