Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Certain websites slow to load.

Options
  • 26-02-2004 5:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭

Hello.
    When using either IE or Firefox on Windows XP I experience long delays when trying to view certain sites, usually big sites like CNET or Yahoo.

For example with Yahoo, I continually get the 'Waiting for us.a1.yimg.com' in the status bar. Eventually the text portion loads, but I see no images. When I try to save a file from any of the groups, I get a connection timed out message box. Same goes for CNET and a number of other sites. Other big sites like Microsoft and Amazon load fine however.
    I am behind a Socks4 proxy, have checked HOSTS file and disabled my firewall and still no luck. Anyone have any ideas what could be the problem. A proxy issue perhaps?
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭KoNiT

I get a long delay with www.autotrader.ie - it 'hang's my pc till the website is loaded

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by IronMan
    A proxy issue perhaps?
    Since it's third-party sites (albeit in the same domain) that are causing the hang, I'd say so. Chat with the sysop perhaps?
    Originally posted by KoNiT
    I get a long delay with www.autotrader.ie - it 'hang's my pc till the website is loaded
    That's just bad design/development -- if you look at the source code, you'll see that they're loading up all of the options for the car finder in a javascript. They would have been better off putting the finder in an IFRAME and doing it programatically on the server side.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

Yip I thought it might be a Proxy issue. But its strange that it only seems to be an issue with material related to the originating site, eg no images load with Yahoo, but doubleclick, google adwords load fine on most other pages.
    I'll have a chat with the admin, cheers Dahamsta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Auburn

Sorry for going off the main point here but I have somewhat of a similar problem. While using my laptop at college, some sites just won't load for me, they timeout. It's only certain ones, like Hotmail, Vodafone etc.
    I was thinking that it might have something to do with SSL, but I'm not sure. I had a go at changing some of the settings in Tools -> Internet Options-> Advanced, but the same problem exists. I'm running Windows XP and IE for browsing. Any ideas?

Advertisement