Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What software to do transfer btw 2 PC's?

Options
  • 26-02-2004 5:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭

I want to transfer a huge amount of date from 1 PC to the other. I have a USB laplink cable. I've used PC-Linq that came with the USB cable but its slow and there are bugs with the software. I've tried using Laplink Gold 8.0 but I have always had problems with the ports. Can someone sugguest what software that is stable and user friendly enough for me to use?

Thanks in advance.

--== neokenzo ==--

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭irishgeo

take the hard drive out of the computer with the data on it, put in to the other computer as the slave drive and then copy the data on to the new drive via windows. then take out the old hard drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

Cant do that. One of it is a laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭joc_06

crossover cable and network em - or 100 megabit hub if you got 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 DigitalAngel

Crossover cable is much less hassle - just plug and go.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

If there XP boxes try a Firewire link up very fast transfer.

Thanks joePC

• Advertisement

Thank you for all your advices but my laptop doesnt have a network adapter or a firewire port. The only way I can connect my pc to my laptop is using USB. I'm looking for a software to do the job rather than hardware. PC-Linq is slow as in it keeps freezing the program. The transfer rate doesnt bother me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

transferring large amounts of data through a cable frequently causes data corruption so beware.

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Originally posted by neokenzo
    Thank you for all your advices but my laptop doesnt have a network adapter or a firewire port. The only way I can connect my pc to my laptop is using USB.

Right - when you insert the USB cable to the laptop (and the PC for that matter) what does it show up as? A com port? Check device manager, and look for an extra com port.

If this is the case, then you can use Direct Cable Connection(TM) which is usually in start->programs->accessories->communications. You run the wizard on both Laptop/PC and set one up as host, the other as guest. You can then browse the directories on each and drag'n'drop files from one to the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭atheist

To avoid corruption create zip files on the source machine (up to about 400MB), copy these across and unzip locally on the target machine. :) If there are errors unzipping try again. :mad:

What is the nature of the data being transferred?

Your best option is, in terms of speed and simplicity, a RJ45 crossover network cable. As both machines have USB, if either lacks a Network card, I found the Belkin USB 10/100 Ethernet Adapter practical even if USB 1 and 1.1 top out at 12MB

If you no nothing about networking you'll need help.

Other options are a USB storage device, a CD Burner or other mass storage device, like ZIP 100 that fits the notebook, a parallel (limited to direct connection) or serial laplink / intellilink cable. Beltronics are a good source though you will need to buy form one of their customers. With a serial laplink cable you use hyperterminal at both ends to upload and download, but complex if you are not used to serial ports.

Originally posted by tom dunne
    If this is the case, then you can use Direct Cable Connection(TM) which is usually in start->programs->accessories->communications. You run the wizard on both Laptop/PC and set one up as host, the other as guest. You can then browse the directories on each and drag'n'drop files from one to the other.

Right, I will try that as soon as I get my PC.
    Originally posted by atheist
    What is the nature of the data being transferred?

I'm getting a new PC and I want to transfer stuff from my laptop to my PC.

Moft of the files are huge files, ie more than 600MB. I could burn the rest but it would take a lot of CD's as I am planning to transfer roughly 15GB.

• Advertisement

|:o:|
    Movies I assume?

With the size of the files, I am afraid that networking, whether a crossover cable or via a hub, switch or router is the way to go.

Once the hardware is setup, you need have the same type of networking set up at each end (netbios or ipx or tcp/ip) to enable file and print sharing.

I would suggest enabling Internet connection sharing on one PC, and set the other as a DHCP client, as a simple but flexible setup. Then map a drive and copy your files.

Well I would like to do it via network as I am able to transfer it much faster. However, my laptop has no network port whatsoever. The only way I can do that is get a PCMCIA network card. I would rather not spend more money on my laptop as I intend to sell it later.
    I have used the usb cable to transfer 2-3GB files to another pc once. I could do it after it freezes like 5-6 times. But that was just one folder. I intend to transfer 10 folders from my laptop to my pc.
    I am planning to get a Netgear WG834G wireless modem/router. Could I get a usb wireless network connection?

You could

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭ST

Leonlafrite is selling this

3com 10Mbps Pcmcia lan card : 10€
    in this thread. It would solve your Problems.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=144406

Advertisement